I'm a wimp, I turned on the A/C

I keep mine on 72 at night . Im a hot sleeper. :p During the day i suffer at 75:(

82F inside, 92F outside.
But it's not the heat, it's the humidity! I spent the first 18 years of my life in the Ohio river valley without AC!! But it was the cold, ice and snow that chased me away.

My 2 units are set at 82. We have low humidity now (5 to 8%) but at 105 to 110 outside, 82 is comfy. Gotta love Phoenix!

I keep mine on 72 at night . Im a hot sleeper.
tongue.gif
During the day i suffer at 75
sad.gif

What kind of electric bills do you folks have?

What kind of electric bills do you folks have?

The highest electric bill I have paid has been $325 for one month. But, I didn't feel too bad as my neighbor's bills for the same month was $550. :eek:...and they are gone all day. :p

I expect maybe $250-300/mo for July-Sept.

For comparison, the last three years, in descending order:

Jul - $191, 287, 201
Aug - $218, 323, 240
Sep - $252, 198, 197

Mine hits over $500 in June, July, August and Sept. Two story with 3600 sq ft and a big pool. The other 8 months is just lights & laundry and avg 125 a month. I won't know what to do with all the extra money when I downsize.:cool:

Solved - Mine broke and I don't want to pay $6-7,000 for new one - Minnesota - the hot season not long here - hasn't appeared yet we'll go on vacation, to the movies to a dance/blues club to neighbors pool when and if it does.

When I lived in Walnut Creek, Ca - we modeled in 91 and didn't put one in it got into the 90s and sometimes over 100 - but we had overhangs and it was deisgned for breezes - dry heat also.. ;)

Last edited:
upstairs is set at 79 downstairs is set at 77 outside it is 101 right now.

Highest bill was 187 in august of last year. 9 cents a kwh nuke plant nearby.

Set mine at 78 day and 75 night. We are having a heat wave in the DC area. No way would I go to one of the many summer festivals going on this weekend. Considered seeing Joan Jett at the Fairfax Fair but the thought of crowds, heat and shuttle buses was simply to horrible to imagine.

A/C set on 78 daytime, 80 at night---not too uncomfortable with fans on as well.

And I agree, it's just too hot for the beginning of June, even for here in the South...

Mine is set at 76 . I pay $300 a month year round . I'm on a budget plan . My house is a large three story with lots of windows . As soon as the market picks up I'm downsizing .

My mother's family would sleep in big open tents at the Indiana Dunes and grill on the Lake Michigan beach in the 20-30s for a few weeks in the hottest part of the Chicago inner city summer - the men would come out from work for the week-ends

The house, my grandfather built in Upstate New York, had a sleeping porch. Will such come back in style?

Leave it at 80 during the day when at work; around 75 when home during the day unless exercising (70 for that). At night we like it cool - 72 or so.

Last year's bills:

June - $58
July - $53
Aug - $54
Sept - $98 (the bills are for the month before - so this is for August)

Not bad at all seeing as we are in inland Mississippi!

Yes, downsizing helps. We are in a 2 bdr apartment so much less to cool/heat.

... I pay $300 a month year round . I'm on a budget plan . My house is a large three story with lots of windows . As soon as the market picks up I'm downsizing .

Amen to that! Also on the budget plan -- we pay $256/mo to cool/heat this behemoth: 4700 sq ft...three furnaces...three A/C units (thank goodness for this as it allows us to fine tune the heating/cooling by zones.) Cannot wait to downsize!

I stuck 2 window A/C's in last Wednesday, when it was mid'70's outside. Thursday the heat & humidity arrived, and hasn't let up yet...several 90° days with 65-80% humidity. We keep the house at around 72°, though I sometimes notch it down to 70° in my bedroom at night. Normally our summer electric bills average around $80-$90......excessively hot/humid years it might push up $10-$20 beyond that. IIRC, the highest bill we've had was around $115. Our house is about 1250 sq.ft., and we only A/C about 1000 sq.ft. of it.......we don't cool our utility room because we don't spend hardly any time out there, except to toss a load of clothes in either the washer or dryer.

If it cools down nice at night, and the humidity is low, we shut the A/C off, open the windows, and turn on our whole house fan. Then if it doesn't get excessively hot & humid the next day(s), we'll close the house up, close the shades, and just use a couple of small fans to circulate the air in the house. And fortunately it looks like we maybe able to do that this week!!! :D

Although I wilt in the heat & humidity, our gardens have been lovin' it! :D

I finally broke down and turned on the A/C too. When the inside temp breaks 82 F even with windows open I caved. So we turned on the A/C to 79 during the day, 78 at night with a ceiling fan on.

For the first time since we moved we didn't have electricity for more than about 20 minutes - DW was without power for seven hours while I was out. That storm tore up some power lines!

I keep my A/C on 69 during the night ( I need to be cold to sleep well! ::)) and 75 during the day (My A/C rarely comes on during the day except when it is 95 outside like today). Electric bill usually around $100-130 a month during the summer.

My electric level billing is $25/mo; down from $29 previous year.

I was way ahead this year until this week; in May had two days of 3KWH.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom