Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Al, hope you finish that car latch thing soon so you can report back to us about how this limitation thing is going. I did it last year for two months, gave myself a reward that got better according to how many weeks I was able to stay off the internet. I used the tick off method, you know, where you draw a short line each day and on day five cross it off, yellow sticker on base of computer instead of me on computer. (My reward was a laptop computer for the home office, which went from Dell to Apple--unclear on the concept?).

Maybe there could be a new separate section, "Temporarily Disconnected" inspired by Bill Murray in "What About Bob?" That movie should be required viewing.

All the best, T-Al, always.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've decided I spend too much time on the computer, and I'm going to start limiting it now.
i really should do the same (hmmm, i even saw your point on kronk's travel thread--this is getting scary).

i spend too much time chatting with people online. as lovely as you all are, i really should be spending this time meeting more people in person.

i spend too much time researching what i might do once these houses finally sell when i really should be living the best life i can while i'm stuck here in paradise.

i spend too much time worrying about whether or not my diminishing nest egg will carry me through into my future when--outside of going back to work--i really have very little control over that. stock markets, investments, charts and graphs: in the end it's really just a crapshoot.

this computer has created for me a virtual world through my fingers and eyes alone, but there is no wind on my skin. no taste on my tongue and the only sounds i hear are my fingers tapping and the mouse clicking.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I understand. I spend too much time here too. Just check in once in awhile and let us know how things are in your neck of the woods.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'll bet Al is back before Rich_in_Tampa retires (even 20%).

-ERD50
Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Al, hope you finish that car latch thing soon so you can report back to us about how this limitation thing is going.
If you get a faster Internet connection, you can save time, surf faster and still have time for projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
....this computer has created for me a virtual world through my fingers and eyes alone, but there is no wind on my skin. no taste on my tongue and the only sounds i hear are my fingers tapping and the mouse clicking.
In the summer, I log on from the backyard hammock. I get sun, wind, birds and an occasional nap
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
I've decided I spend too much time on the computer, and I'm going to start limiting it now.
Be careful; it's cold out there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg limitations.jpg (39.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I'm serious this time.
Eh heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
If you get a faster Internet connection, you can save time, surf faster and still have time for projects.
That hasnt been my experience.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I've decided I spend too much time on the golf course. But I'm not going to do a damn thing about it. 8)
Old 07-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #29
gone traveling

I have been thinking about bacon too much and I am going to do something about it.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'm not cutting it out altogether, just cutting down on general looking around, making silly comments, etc.

I've gotten so much done today! Stained the deck, overhauled a bike hub, and now I'm going to go on a bike ride and then practice.

Gotta go!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not cutting it out altogether, just cutting down on general looking around, making silly comments, etc.

I've gotten so much done today! Stained the deck, overhauled a bike hub, and now I'm going to go on a bike ride and then practice.

Gotta go!
Damn, I'm tired from just reading what you have done today. I think you are better off sitting on the sofa with a glass of wine surfing the net. Won't work up a sweat that way.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, see he's hedging already...

I give him a couple of hours, maybe a day before another silly comment pops up...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Could Al just be lurking? I mean, surfing around but not logged in. Can you check his IP? Somehow, I don't believe him.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I just decided that I was exhibiting some of those "You may be addicted if..." behaviors. For example, checking online before eating breakfast, or getting drawn to computer when walking by, and spending several hours on it. Planning to stop in a minute, but still on an hour later.

You probably won't even notice a change, I'll still be checking in here, but just a little less time in front of the screen.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #35

Hi,I'm Jason, and I'm an internetaholic as well. (Hi jason.....)

I first realized I had a problem when I decided to look at my retirement portfolio while sitting on my commode one morning.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Switch to an RSS reader Al - you can skim through the posts in a heartbeat and get back on the bike or the board.
What's your favorite RSS reader ? I've tried a couple and had a hard time. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
What's your favorite RSS reader?
There's something better than Internet Explorer?... I'm trying "to limit my Internet Time."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #38

I felt the same way at one point. I dealt with it by using the STANDBY button on my computer. I didn't want to shut it down and have to start it up when I needed it again, but I also didn't want it on all day and instantly accessible. If I left it on, it was too easy to just check one more thing, read one more site, watch one more YouTube video and all too often I lost large blocks of time.

Now, when I leave my computer, I put it Standby mode. Nothings running, but it comes back quickly when I need it again. I tend to do all my online stuff in batches, put the computer in Standby and walk away. Often I'm not back on it for hours or even into the evening.

I even found a way to put the Standby button on the desktop. This is working well for me except for when the cat walks across the keyboard or bumps the mouse and wakes the computer when I'm not there. There is probably a way to have a key combination to wake from standby. Another minor issue is that there is a small delay before it reconnects to the internet, but I've gotten used to it.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post

I first realized I had a problem when I decided to look at my retirement portfolio while sitting on my commode one morning.
Similar problem. Most mornings I turn on the PC to see how far down the toilet my retirement portfolio has sunk.