Image Management Software

I use a program I wrote several years ago to move photos from my cameras SD card to the photos folder on my hard drive. It extracts the date and time information from the EXIF data in the photo and renames the photo file using the format above. Then I go back and add the description to the photo file name as needed.

I still use Paint Shop Pro version 4.14 for most of my simple photo editing work. It's simple, fast, and I'm familiar with it. 90% of the time it does everything I need.

That's funny, I wrote a similar program years ago. Now I just use a product called "Advanced Renamer." It allows me to do bulk file renames, then I move the renamed files to the appropriate folder.

Your other points are right on the mark, too. Even about the old PSP. I never quite caught on to the mindset Photoshop and all it's clones use. PSP always made sense to me.

Namexif worked well for me, just the other day. I wanted to do the copying/renaming on my primary Windows 10 machine, for later copying to the shared Photos folder.

https://www.digicamsoft.com/softnamexif.html

BTW, I purchased Affinity Photo for editing (a rare occurrence for me outside Picasa). Photoshop most likely does things better, simpler, etc. But I no longer care to pay monthly for a tool I don't use much.

That's funny, I wrote a similar program years ago. Now I just use a product called "Advanced Renamer." It allows me to do bulk file renames, then I move the renamed files to the appropriate folder.

Mine is rather simplistic. It will copy or move files directly from the SD card (or any other folder for that matter), rename them with the date and time from the EXIF, and save them in the desired folder. Basically, just put the card in the card reader and click transfer, it does the rest.

If you're interested, you can download it from:
http://www.mountainsoftware.com/demos/photocopy24.exe

I don't sell it anymore so I will happily provide a free registration if you find it useful. I always meant to rewrite it as freeware, but just never got around to it.

I have a similar photo that looks more like my dear F than any photos I have taken of him - - but actually it isn't him. It's somebody a hundred years ago whose resemblance to F is uncanny.

My dad did not look like his parents, grandparents, uncles, or any of his siblings. He had red hair when no one else in the family did. I always secretly wondered whether dad was really a father from another grandfather. :) Then I run across an old photo from a few generations back. I don't remember who the gentleman in the photo is, but he looks EXACTLY like my dad. Weird how those genetic traits can skip so many generations.

I use a renamer program called Ant Renamer to rename files in my Win folder. Not for pictures but for downloaded Discover Card statements. The files are in a certain naming convention with year-month as part of the name. I had older statements where I named differently so had to do a rename to fit the Discover Card convention. Now each month after a download, I don't need to do any manual renaming.

Reading through the replies to this thread, I was reminded of a piece written by someone named Christian Lemburg regarding choosing software tools. It's mainly targeted towards those involved in software development in some way and in particular open source, but it makes a point regarding "learnability" of software. I think that's relevant to people who have mentioned they are using one tool or another, whether commercial or free, and are happy continuing to use it.

I don't want to sidetrack into a discussion about virtues of one package over another or commercial versus non-commercial, but think the ideas are interesting when investigating software of all types.

Personally, I've dived into my current effort in working with image-related tools pretty much ignorant so I'm a blank slate, but once I am settled in my choices, I hope they'll remain useful to me for a long time!

What characteristics are necessary for a tool? In short, a tool must reliably increase our power after we learned how to use it. It must be powerful, reliable, and learnable.

Modern software tools often do not live up to these basic requirements. Sure, they promise to increase our power. But often, they are not reliable. And nearly all the time, they are not learnable - especially if they are very new. They are so new that nobody has real experience using them, let alone published his experiences with them.

To me, this situation is one of the reasons of the phenomenal success of the Linux/GNU tool set. If one hears proponents of these tools talking about them, the virtue most often praised is their reliability. But it might turn out that much more important is their learnability. Nearly all of the tools that come with the Linux/GNU tool set exist now for more than a decade, some for substantially longer. In the software world, these tools are really old. But this means that people had time to work with them, and record their experiences, which makes these tools learnable.

Another way to realize how important learnability is for a tool is to have a look at the costs involved in working with a tool. Basically, when we want to use a tool, costs are involved for acquiring it, keeping it running, and learning how to use it.

The cost of actually acquiring the tool - buying it and getting it into our environment - is where most of the money is spent for a tool in our everyday world. For software tools, it still is a big part of the overall cost - and often the major criterion on which tool is to be acquired. However, since work is so expensive today, even the expenses for "costly" tools dwarf soon against the costs caused by the people using them.

The cost of keeping the tool running are mostly related to consumption of materials (fuel, saw blades, ...) and repairs in the everyday world. For software tools, this cost is dominated by "repair" costs, like applying patches or updates, or discovering, tracking, and even fixing bugs. Clearly, reliability rears its ugly head. Worse, while the tool is being repaired, people can't work with it, which makes for big opportunity costs.

Third, the cost of learning how to use the tool. This is where most of the money is spent in today's software tools, since they are typically used for extended periods of time, and effective use depends on the knowledge of specific details of their operation. For a new tool, this cost can be taken as a given, since nobody can know how it works. For tools that have been around for some time, the probability that a given person already knows how to work with them grows. In the end, some tools are so ubiquitous that nearly everybody knows how to work with them. Of course, these tools have a big advantage from a cost point of view.

To sum it up, when faced with a decision about which software tool to use, choose the one that is most powerful while still being reliable and learnable. Keep in mind that the price tag on the tool is typically a joke compared to the hidden costs that are created when people learn and use the tool. Before deciding on a tool, give a little thought to these costs, and try to find out if there are tools around that can minimize them. Of course, tool vendors do not like to hear this, since they make money from selling tools to you, and not by participating in your success. But look, with all these proven tools around you, maybe you just don't need the newest one ...

File renaming code

Had to chuckle to see so many of us, me included, rolled our own code to pull date time out of the jpg and standardize file names across devices.

I only bother when it's a trip and I want the slide show to go in time order.

I'm low tech...make a folder "2019" and sub folder "01 05 Florida" for the trip starting January 5. Inside that folder is usually everything. But if it's a picture heavy trip, like a cruise or big family thing, I might sub divide by day or by region of travel.

That's it. Burn the directory to DVD every year or so. Old photos go into '1900' and sub folder with short description. But I haven't scanned anything except slides so far. My scanner does slides and negatives great, but has a streak on scanning anything wider, so haven't done photo print scanning. Did throw out all slides and slide projector though. Quite an accomplishment!

I had the idea, too, of repurposing an old device to drive a living room screen for an always on screen saver. My photos are almost never enjoyed, so I got to wondering why go through the trouble of taking them or more burdensome, curating them? So it turns out that Android has a very strange relationship to external screens that I think came from DRM jerkyness. It's been changing practically every version of the OS, but my specific old Android device that I targeted to drive the screen was a no go. It's very hardware and OS version dependant.

But I haven't scanned anything except slides so far. My scanner does slides and negatives great, but has a streak on scanning anything wider, so haven't done photo print scanning. Did throw out all slides and slide projector though. Quite an accomplishment!

I've also had some slides and negatives landing in my lap recently, I think many/most taken by an uncle. I noticed this comment above and wonder if you do anything special to scan these in.

A Google search turned up articles like the following from Popular Photography which seem simple enough for people using a consumer-class flatbed scanner (like me). Any tips/gotchas?

https://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/07/how-to-scan-negatives-using-standard-scanner-0

I got a CanoScan 8400F off of eBay. The lid has a light that shines through, and it comes with plastic slide holders and negative holders. There's also software with the scanner that chops the single scan into each separate slide.

So I wouldn't bother trying to rig a light; I'd just get a scanner with the proper set-up. They're not that expensive. My plan was even to sell the scanner afterward, but then I realized the streak and, unlike the bozo who sold it to me, I'd disclose the imperfection and the scanner wouldn't fetch as much as it's worth to me to just keep it.

I fiddled around with resolution and although it took longer, I selected a high enough resolution where I thought that I was getting to the threshold of the film itself. I figured if I was going to do it, I'd do it and be very happy to know there's no detail lost. But I wrote a macro so the process became "load slides, press button, leave the room". Every time I walked through, I repeated the process. Without the macro, it would have been hell to sit there all day waiting for the scanning to be done.

I got a CanoScan 8400F off of eBay. The lid has a light that shines through, and it comes with plastic slide holders and negative holders. There's also software with the scanner that chops the single scan into each separate slide.

So I wouldn't bother trying to rig a light; I'd just get a scanner with the proper set-up. They're not that expensive. My plan was even to sell the scanner afterward, but then I realized the streak and, unlike the bozo who sold it to me, I'd disclose the imperfection and the scanner wouldn't fetch as much as it's worth to me to just keep it.

Ah! I didn’t even know such things existed, thanks for the info. I’ll probably delay dealing with slides and negatives and decide what, if anything, to do.

I have far fewer of those than prints and haven’t eyeballed the contents closely (those I did looked like birthday parties from the Cold War).

Here’s an article about metadata (specifically, copyright, creator, etc) that I came across. It’s from Sept 2018 and highlights Google’s handling of that type of information.

I was/am leery of placing things in services like Google Photos/Drive because of not knowing what might be done with them. You might have seen your own content showing up in places like Google Scholar, I assume copyrights are honored (but don’t know). Extra caution can’t hurt, especially if it requires little/no effort.

https://www.stirtingale.com/guides/2018/09/google-iptc

I've mentioned this book before in the Photographer's Corner thread, but an excellent book on copyright is The Copyright Zone by Edward C. Greenberg, J.D. and Jack Reznicki. I cannot recommend this book highly enough to anyone who owns a camera of any type.

While you clearly want to copyright the photos if you witness the first alien spaceship landing, many "ordinary" photos end up being appropriated for advertising or other uses without the consent of the owners of the photos. And even if you are taking photos that only may end up being used in a club newsletter or some such "informal" thing, you'd better be aware of your responsibilities to anyone who appears in those photos if they don't like the way, or if, they are presented. Know how to protect yourself by getting a model release.

Or even photos you post on Facebook, Instagram or the like. Copyright and model laws still apply there as well.

That sounds like a very useful resource, thanks for posting again. It appears to be targeted toward visual work like photography but I’m guessing the issues are broader.

The only time I checked out copyright matters in any detail was in relation to composition (music).

I received an email about some changes taking effect today (July 10, 2019) that affect Google Photos and Drive.

You are getting this email because you sync items between Google Photos and Google Drive.

Over the next few weeks, we are making some changes to help simplify how Google Photos and Google Drive work together. We are making these changes based on the feedback we've heard that the connection between these services is hard to understand.

•Your photos and videos will no longer automatically sync between Google Photos and Google Drive.
•You will still be able to upload to both services using the Backup and Sync app on your computer.
•We’re also adding a new “Upload from Drive” feature that lets you copy photos and videos to Google Photos.
•Your existing photos and videos are still in Google Photos and Google Drive.

https://www.blog.google/products/photos/simplifying-google-photos-and-google-drive

Paper: Gone!

I bought a FastFoto FF-640 and in the last three days have scanned every photo print in my house (that I can find).

Dang thing. Amazing.

I was going to record a video of it at work, but it's trash day and there's about 87 pounds of paper in the bin at the street...none in the house. You grab a wad of prints, type in the info on the envelope, and it shoots the whole wad into the trash can! It's so fast! Less than one a second per. The only complaint I have is that it nags you to clean the scanner all the time. Only a few prints I have seen a "line" on them, but I heed the warning, stop and clean it. A spec of something in the scanner will make a line. I've literally emptied out several shelves of my closet this week. All this, and I got the device "refurbished" (they call it something else) on Amazon and it looks like I can sell it for almost what I bought it for on eBay. Sneaky DW, though, might have some photo prints I haven't found yet. Need to sleuth more secret drawers... Man on a mission!

You grab a wad of prints, type in the info on the envelope, and it shoots the whole wad into the trash can!
That phase is done now. 6,500 photos in the trash. DW wouldn't let me throw out her 5x7 or 8x10 baby and other large professional portraits, but there are almost no pictures left in the house. I have 40,000 digital photos too. Many are "documentation" things that have "expired" and of no use any more, but most are travel, event, etc, that I want to keep.

Now the next phase: No-cloud, LAN-only, display on mobile devices.

I have also used ThumbsPlus, and need to get back into it. This program will take a folder of photos and create a web page of it with thumbnails of each of the images.

I looked at the home page, but didn't see that feature. I like that it runs on 32 bit Windows. It doesn't say Windows XP, but since that's the machine that's always turned on (supports my OTA DVR solution), it would be great if it worked there. Given it creates a web page, that means any mobile device with a browser could browse the pictures. I'd like it if, while browsing, the user could enter a star rating, but that's icing. Just browsing is enough. Slide show (advances through a folder by itself) would also be nice, since I could connect an old phone to a monitor and it would be "digital picture frame".

That phase is done now. 6,500 photos in the trash. DW wouldn't let me throw out her 5x7 or 8x10 baby and other large professional portraits, but there are almost no pictures left in the house. I have 40,000 digital photos too. Many are "documentation" things that have "expired" and of no use any more, but most are travel, event, etc, that I want to keep.

I looked at the home page, but didn't see that feature. I like that it runs on 32 bit Windows. It doesn't say Windows XP, but since that's the machine that's always turned on (supports my OTA DVR solution), it would be great if it worked there. Given it creates a web page, that means any mobile device with a browser could browse the pictures. I'd like it if, while browsing, the user could enter a star rating, but that's icing. Just browsing is enough. Slide show (advances through a folder by itself) would also be nice, since I could connect an old phone to a monitor and it would be "digital picture frame".

The specific featurr was called thumbs plus website wizard. Since its been a while support might be lean.

I'd like it if, while browsing, the user could enter a star rating, but that's icing. Just browsing is enough. Slide show (advances through a folder by itself) would also be nice, since I could connect an old phone to a monitor and it would be "digital picture frame".

Thereay br something like that..only the star would be a "tag" and you tag it either by one of five tags...

1Star
2Star
3Star
Etc....

Then just filter on the tag. Presto!

I have also used ThumbsPlus, and need to get back into it. This program will take a folder of photos and create a web page of it with thumbnails of each of the images.
I see that feature now. Unfortunately, when I tried to install the application on XP, it failed. In the initial install dialog, it said it would install on XP, but later on, bombed.

Any other options come to mind?

I see that feature now. Unfortunately, when I tried to install the application on XP, it failed. In the initial install dialog, it said it would install on XP, but later on, bombed.

Any other options come to mind?

Google Photos? First sync to drive and then. Add to google photos?

Looks like you can use chromecast to see the photos on the tv from google photos. I just plug in a USB with the pics loaded. Refresh them every month or after big trip

Back
Top Bottom