Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Another consideration ... what's their privacy policy? Might they sell your info to other companies? Pretty creepy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I hope not in my lifetime. Imagine if they could make everyone do this then sell the info to the government to use as a basis for paying road tax on an individual basis.

This could be a new tax...... in addition to fuel tax (which is supposed to go for road repair and maintenance).
I think the state already knows how many miles you drive.... they get it every time you have your car inspected.... so a road tax can be implemented without any device....

Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
This could be a new tax...... in addition to fuel tax (which is supposed to go for road repair and maintenance).
This type of taxation is getting a lot of discussion as EVs and plug-in hybrids become more popular. Those cars use the roads, too, and various schemes are afoot to track them and make them pay their share.
And then we have the automated toll collection systems, which are likely to become more popular as the government leans more heavily on user fees to pay for new roads, bridges,other infrastructure projects.
And we learn that various government agencies have cruised the parking lots of political rallies, gun shows, etc to rapidly collect data on thousands of cars/attendees located at those gatherings using the new automatic license-plate reading technology. Not "evil" in itself, but it's time we had some real discussions on appropriate use of this data, and restrictions with teeth.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think the state already knows how many miles you drive.... they get it every time you have your car inspected..
What is this "state vehicle inspection" of which you speak?

I'm so happy to be in a place that dispenses with that foolishness.

Side story: When I was a kid in CA, my parents loaned our car to the neighbor. She was out running her errands and noticed the CHP was doing vehicle checks so she made it a point to go over and get one for my Mom's car. "It didn't cost anything--here's the slip they gave me--they found a burned out light bulb and they saw some smoke at the tailpipe so that's on there, too. They said you'd need to get it done by next week. They were very nice." Mom and Dad were not amused at the time by her "helpfulness."
Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I can't help but think that the fees for the 'extras' would exceed any premium savings. ....
I looked into it with State Farm a few years back - felt the same as you do. You had to pay to get it set up (and a small monthly fee IIRC), and no guarantee of savings. And it seemed like the savings would be tiny for us, best I could guesstimate.

I'm not hung up on 'privacy' concerns, but it just didn't look like it would be worth the hassle.

-ERD50
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
For Progressive you are not paying them for the device... from what they say they are not getting GPS info unless you are told...

I have looked at the data they provide... they keep track of the time you are driving and miles.... they split the days into 3 categories on I guess the likely hood of having an accident... they also keep track of how many 'hard stops' you make... the big problem I have with this is that I get a beep from the device when I am coming to a light and it changes yellow... some of the yellows around here are short and you stop 'quickly'.... and get a beep... I have now started to run the yellow so I am now a 'safer' driver....

Another beep that gets me is you are slowing down at a yield... turn a corner and hit the gas... they think you are in stop and go traffic and you get a beep...

If you insurance is pretty cheap already, I would not do it... but mine has gone up 4X due to teen and totaling out a car... (me, not the teen)....
+1 We recently moved from Chicago suburb to rural Iowa. I was shocked at how much higher the insurance is in Iowa. I got a Progressive policy and in hopes of the potential 30% premium savings agreed to the Snap Shot. I figured the six month test Oct thru March wouldn't show many miles being driven since most of our driving is during the summer months.

We have about 5 weeks to go before we send the devices back to Progressive but I can tell you it will not be worth the effort. The device will beep at even a very normal braking as described by Texas Proud. I have so far not had a single panic stop but the device will beep if you require normal braking at a stop light due to the short yellow.

I checked on line the other day and it shows a 6% discount on one vehicle and no discount on the other. Complete waste of time in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
+1 We recently moved from Chicago suburb to rural Iowa. I was shocked at how much higher the insurance is in Iowa. I got a Progressive policy and in hopes of the potential 30% premium savings agreed to the Snap Shot. I figured the six month test Oct thru March wouldn't show many miles being driven since most of our driving is during the summer months.

We have about 5 weeks to go before we send the devices back to Progressive but I can tell you it will not be worth the effort. The device will beep at even a very normal braking as described by Texas Proud. I have so far not had a single panic stop but the device will beep if you require normal braking at a stop light due to the short yellow.

I checked on line the other day and it shows a 6% discount on one vehicle and no discount on the other. Complete waste of time in my opinion.

LOL... yep, I was looking for somewhere in the 20% to 30% discount... but I looked and the anticipated discount is about 4 to 6%.... for how high my insurance is now that is some money... but before getting the higher rates it was a few dollars... it is not like you are getting the discount on all of your coverage....
Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NFW I am letting any big brother action by any insurance company.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had progressives device, I can drive 50 miles in any direction and only stop at one stop sign. But I was always getting dinged for quick stops by jackrabbits, deer, javelina, box turtles, but not rattlesnakes.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I use my car for my Real Estate business and I deduct the mileage. For my taxes I have to report total miles driven as well as business and commuting miles. Every time I turn around someone or some entity wants more and more information about what I do and where I drive.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I had progressives device, I can drive 50 miles in any direction and only stop at one stop sign. But I was always getting dinged for quick stops by jackrabbits, deer, javelina, box turtles, but not rattlesnakes.

But doesn't the need to make quick stops like that indicate that it could cost more to insure people like that on average? Deer do some real damage to cars (and occasionally occupants) around here. I assume your rates are already low if there is so little traffic around you. Maybe deer collisions and swerving to avoid, and people swerving to hit rattlesnakes are a major cost for them?

It also seems to me this won't go far, at least in the current implementation. The cautious drivers will self select this, the pedal-to-the-metal types won't.

At least twice, I've avoided an accident by making an aggressive move (once I intentionally blew a stop light, after looking both ways and honking my horn and flooring it, to avoid some guy rear-ending me). Seems wrong to ding me for that, but OTOH, the fact that I had to make that aggressive move is evidence of the dangerous situations I face (that may or may not be more dangerous than average, but it still is data).

-ERD50
Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
I use my car for my Real Estate business and I deduct the mileage. For my taxes I have to report total miles driven as well as business and commuting miles. Every time I turn around someone or some entity wants more and more information about what I do and where I drive.
But isn't that reasonable? You shouldn't be able to deduct non-business use. Why are you mad?

-ERD50
Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Here's a funny story. I participated in a research study that paid me $600 to stick a black box in my car for a year. It recorded what these insurance companies record. It also had a camera recording my face and the road to measure my reaction and eye movement.

It probably caught me picking my nose a time or three, otherwise I don't really care. I don't drive a lot anyway, so it roughly offset my auto operating costs for the year.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I looked into it when we still had Progressive. I didn't mind it in principle as I am a very safe driver ( or so me and my record think). However, they would have penalized me for driving too early in my commute (before 6). Heck, the only reason I left home at 5 was to miss the idiotic traffic in the first place and be able to get on the road home at 3:30-4 before the evening commute. That, and we don't own any cars that have OBD-II ports (everything is diesel and/or pre-1991)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Has your computer, or any other electronic device, ever malfunctioned, or done something weird? Do you really want a potential criminal and/or civil trial based on an electronic recording device?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
Has your computer, or any other electronic device, ever malfunctioned, or done something weird? Do you really want a potential criminal and/or civil trial based on an electronic recording device?
The privacy agreement for Progressive Insurance notes that the data from their Snapshot device would be released under subpoena or in other cases. So, yes, the data in any of these devices could be used against you. Or, I suppose it could help you.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
From what I see it is only recording your speed.... heck, your car records that and much more info.... it might only be a few minutes or seconds, but if you have a wreck it is there...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
From what I see it is only recording your speed.... heck, your car records that and much more info.... it might only be a few minutes or seconds, but if you have a wreck it is there...
I'd rather have a dash camera for recording my real-time driving.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think they also record g-forces to track quick stops, swerves and acceleration. But of course, different systems may have different capabilities, I'm just going from memory of when I looked into the State Farm option a few years back.

-ERD50
Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been using the In-Drive device for 9 months now. No issues. It measures, mileage, braking, acceleration, [B]turn signal usage[B], but not certain about g-force (swerving/cornering). I beginning to think they weight scoring heavily on turn signal usage.

Last 6 month renewal was reduced just short of $120.00. We have a Armada and Genesis Coupe.

Tags
in drive state farm