Inauguration Photo Thread

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I will post photos here as the events unfold. So far we don't have good tickets so these will be from a long way off. We are heading down to the Boss' concert later.

Here is the first showing the inauguration stand in pristine pre-event condition:

main.php

Get some sandwiches, and go sit in the front row.

We are heading down to the Boss' concert later.

Give our regards to the Boss! I'm sure many of the gentlemen around here would be more excited about seeing Beyonce perform.

Attachments

• beyonce.jpg
    beyonce.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 179
What's the temperature there, Don? Heard something on the radio last night about a long-ago inaugural ball where they forgot to turn on the heat. During the ball everyone keep their coats on, they let loose some canaries, uh, well, the rest is history.

It can be bitter out there. I marched in Nixon's 2nd inaugural parade (marching band), and after standing around for 3 hours in 20 degree weather, some of the brass players mouthpieces got so cold they stuck to their lips. Yowsa!

Beautiful photo, Don. Even seeing the pre-event inauguration stand is pretty awe-inspiring!

What's the temperature there, Don?

We had a cold snap which is moderating today. It's been 5-15 at night and mid 20's daytime. Today it finally got above freezing. It's supposed to be upper 30's on Inauguration Day.

DW is overcome with emotion and annouced today "We're going to be there!!" or "as close as we can get".........we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the star studded concert at the Lincoln Memorial on HBO. For those in attendance, the experience is probably similar to those who were at Woodstock.

And he lives on Capitol Hill. Our foreign correspondent, kinda like Christiane Amanpour is to CNN.

It can be bitter out there. I marched in Nixon's 2nd inaugural parade (marching band), and after standing around for 3 hours in 20 degree weather, some of the brass players mouthpieces got so cold they stuck to their lips. Yowsa!

I was on the Armed Forces Inaugural Committee for the Bush I inauguration. I also marched in the Cherry Blossom parade way back before then when I was in high school. Supposed to be warm in March, but it was sleeting and I also suffered from the cold mouthpiece syndrome.

My daughter and some of her friends have great seats for the swearing-in. This time, I will watch on the TV from my Northern Virginia living room.

I was on the Armed Forces Inaugural Committee for the Bush I inauguration. I also marched in the Cherry Blossom parade way back before then when I was in high school. Supposed to be warm in March, but it was sleeting and I also suffered from the cold mouthpiece syndrome.

My daughter and some of her friends have great seats for the swearing-in. This time, I will watch on the TV from my Northern Virginia living room.

Hey, I live in NOVA too! I also plan to watch from the safety of my living room.

OK, so we walked down to the Mall. Here is DW (center) and our friends Dave and Sharon from Maui checking out our seats for Tuesday;

img_774002_0_852e3037c60043daaefbd8f004bec395.jpg

Then we strolled down toward the Lincoln Memorial and realized from the number of people that surrounded us that it might be a sizable crowd:

img_774002_1_3073d01a62cbd1efa96441558b585374.jpg

As we came up to the Washington Monument we figured we might not get close:

img_774002_2_3532a6575fdf16b57977d650a55020fd.jpg

CIMG4699.JPG
CIMG4699.JPG

More to come

Crossing over the hill we knew we were late:

img_774004_0_e8dd2b8d5bbfe542ae4738367bce8797.jpg

But, what the heck jumbotrons and a good sound system help:

img_774004_1_b40e651208eac1ad05c3398f9f33cf06.jpg

It was a scene of rapture:

img_774004_2_a533d310ef5f46419d68dc06b28627ef.jpg

And we better get down there earlier on Tuesday:

img_774004_3_a417f32560de3e555a2a66a289d9bb52.jpg

If you want to see the larger originals they are at:
Photos from the Inauguration Events

Edit: I forgot to add, the HBO show is great -- much better seats than ours. Catch it next time the airs it if you can. Thank God for Tivo - we will use it on Tuesday to catch what we miss.

Wow, Don - - those are some big crowds, and it's still two days until the Inauguration. I can hardly imagine how big the crowds will be on Tuesday.

It's fun for those of us who live elsewhere in the U.S. to see how beautiful the monuments look behind the crowds.

I forgot to mention that we ran into the big guy down on the Mall:
img_774021_0_0225de93799a68d6c5a13aad0ef8a480.jpg

donheff, I shared your pics with my DH and we both think they are wonderful. In particular, your picture with the caption of "it was a scene of rapture" was really something. The expression on that young man's face says so much. I look forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Great Pictures Don thanks for sharing them.

thanks for sharing!

how were the porta potties? not that you could get to them if you were lodged in the crowd!

i was watching cnn wondering why the didnt show the concert but just kept talking then cutting to too many commercials - then heard it was only on hbo..duh glad they are reairing it, got it set to record.

DC is a great city and i'm sure it will be hopping all week, well, until early wed am...at least!

thanks for sharing!

how were the porta potties? not that you could get to them if you were lodged in the crowd!

!
We didn't use the porta potties. The ones toward the Capitol were not open yet. There didn't seem to be long lines at the ones down by the concert. I'm not drinking any coffee tomorrow -- no way I am loosing a spot to go to the John.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom