Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Incredable...
Old 08-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyopRanger
The passive Clinton Administration approach to Terrorism, Al Qaeda’s threats and terrorists attacks lead to the largest terrorist attack on American soil in US history.
Bullshit, pure and simple.

Clinton did a LOT to try to stamp out al Qaeda, but it didnt include invading another country so nobody thinks he did anything. As I understand it, the intelligence community and the outgoing Clinton administration tried pretty hard to underscore the terrorist threat to our current "leaders", but they were laughed at. So we are pissing away untold billions on a war that will never end and will never accomplish anything other than getting more people to hate us.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Clinton did a LOT to try to stamp out al Qaeda, but it didnt include invading another country so nobody thinks he did anything.
It's difficult, and probably futile, to fight a stateless enemy with an army trained to fight a state.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
It's difficult, and probably futile, to fight a stateless enemy with an army trained to fight a state.
Tell that to the republican party basher hacks... but don't be surprised if you get a visit rom some large men.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Bull****, pure and simple.

Clinton did a LOT to try to stamp out al Qaeda, but it didnt include invading another country so nobody thinks he did anything. As I understand it, the intelligence community and the outgoing Clinton administration tried pretty hard to underscore the terrorist threat to our current "leaders", but they were laughed at. So we are pissing away untold billions on a war that will never end and will never accomplish anything other than getting more people to hate us.
Yeah, he stamped it out all right....

President Clinton and his national security team ignored several opportunities to capture Osama bin Laden and his terrorist associates, including one as late as 2000.

I know because I negotiated more than one of the opportunities.

From 1996 to 1998, I opened unofficial channels between Sudan and the Clinton administration. I met with officials in both countries, including Clinton, U.S. National Security Advisor Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger and Sudan's president and intelligence chief. President Omar Hassan Ahmed Bashir, who wanted terrorism sanctions against Sudan lifted, offered the arrest and extradition of Bin Laden and detailed intelligence data about the global networks constructed by Egypt's Islamic Jihad, Iran's Hezbollah and the Palestinian Hamas.

Among those in the networks were the two hijackers who piloted commercial airliners into the World Trade Center.

The silence of the Clinton administration in responding to these offers was deafening.

http://www.infowars.com/saved%20page..._bin_laden.htm
Old 08-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

You can also argue that Reagan armed them in the 80's when we were fighting the Soviets.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyopRanger
President Clinton and his national security team ignored several opportunities to capture Osama bin Laden and his terrorist associates, including one as late as 2000.
Oh yes, an offer to extradite him to Saudi Arabia, very credible. "Please don't throw me in that briar patch!"

Please. You'll have to do better than that. And in any case, it doesn't change the fact that a large scale invasion of a country that had NOTHING to do with OBL/al Qaeda was very counter-productive in terms of stamping out terrorism.

And yes, we did arm the nutballs in Afghan. We also gave Saddam weapons (chemical ones, I believe) and we were filled with onscene glee when he duked it out with the Iranians. Doesn't really change the hideous stupidity of the last 6 years, though.

I swear, sometimes I just wish I could wake up and realize that all of this mess was just a bad dream.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tell that to the republican party basher hacks... but don't be surprised if you get a visit rom some large men.
'Cmon brewer. Don't be giving lazygood4nothinbum any ideas now...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

”The Clinton administration talked about firm evidence linking Saddam Hussein's regime to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network years before President Bush made the same statements….

One came from William S. Cohen, Mr. Clinton's defense secretary. He cited an al Qaeda-Baghdad link to justify the bombing of a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan….

In addition, al Qaeda reached an understanding with the government of Iraq that al Qaeda would not work against that government and that on particular projects, specifically including weapons development, al Qaeda would work cooperatively with the government of Iraq."

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2921-3401r.htm

I offer you to watch the documentary “Voices of Iraq” it was recorded by actual Iraqi’s who speak about Saddam, Saddam’s support for terrorist, etc.

I find it funny. I have a Top Secret- SCI clearance and have been to Iraq 3 times and yet people who have never stepped foot in Iraq or talked with Iraqi’s and watch US news know all the facts and classified dealings of their government?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Yup, Clinton bombed something in the Sudan. Note that he didn't lie to the US public and the United Nations and then invade on a flimsy pretext.

Saddam hated the terrorists because he was a dictator and they potentially threatened his grip on Iraq. Was he a nice guy or anything other than a despot? Nope, but you don't see us invading any of the other countries run by ruthless dictators, now do you?

But we will never agree, so we might as well go our separate ways on this one.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah Hell Brewer, we could argue all day about who did this and who did that.

The fact is we don’t make policy.

I respect your opinions and views.

I concede from the debate, it is not productive.

Back to talk on FIRE..
Old 08-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I swear, sometimes I just wish I could wake up and realize that all of this mess was just a bad dream.
I can sure agree with you on that comment. Sometimes it feels like a very bad dream.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:54 AM   #72

Who better to bump up to first class than a soldier returning from Iraq who has been flying for 20 hours and wants to see his newborn. How sad that the gate attendant does not have any more compassion than that.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

....Flying first class? Who needs it? It just seems like more of that conspicuous consumption, keeping up with the Joneses crap that is totally pointless. I would actually be embarrassed to sit in first class thinking all those people going by on their way to steerage knew I was totally stupid for wasting good money to get a little more elbow room on a two hour flight. Some things in life are important. Riding first class ain't one of them. BTW, have you noticed how many of the people riding first class these days are enormously obese or get drunkenly loud and abusive? Me thinks it is more pleasant to ride in the back with the sober skinny people.
jc
Old 08-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
....Flying first class? Who needs it? It just seems like more of that conspicuous consumption, keeping up with the Joneses crap that is totally pointless. I would actually be embarrassed to sit in first class thinking all those people going by on their way to steerage knew I was totally stupid for wasting good money to get a little more elbow room on a two hour flight. Some things in life are important. Riding first class ain't one of them. BTW, have you noticed how many of the people riding first class these days are enormously obese or get drunkenly loud and abusive? Me thinks it is more pleasant to ride in the back with the sober skinny people.
jc
Most people who fly first class don't pay for it, they get it for free with upgrades. Having said that though... I felt very uncomfortable sitting in first class as everyone else filed past me.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:03 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, have you noticed how many of the people riding first class these days are enormously obese or get drunkenly loud and abusive? Me thinks it is more pleasant to ride in the back with the sober skinny people.
No, I haven't noticed that tendency. I've never been in first class, but always rode in business class on international flights to Asia and Europe during my working years.* Never, not once, did I have an issue with obese or drunkenly loud and abusive people on those flights.* Perhaps your experience was not the norm?* Only cost would influence me to ride coach on those long flights in the future.* No issues with my neighbors whatsoever.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....Flying first class? Who needs it? It just seems like more of that conspicuous consumption, keeping up with the Joneses crap that is totally pointless. I would actually be embarrassed to sit in first class thinking all those people going by on their way to steerage knew I was totally stupid for wasting good money to get a little more elbow room on a two hour flight. Some things in life are important. Riding first class ain't one of them.
Speaking as a submariner, I'm getting tired of folding my body into small places.

Flying first class definitely falls into my "What are you saving it for?" category, although I'm not so sure that I'd take our teenager into that environment. (Some parental tortures are too cruel & unusual even for teens.) But a seat without a small seatback-kicking noisy child behind me being restless for eight hours? Especially if spouse & I are enroute Vegas or some other grownups-only vacation? Definitely.

As for the coach passengers filing by while I'm choosing between a cabernet or a chardonnay, I'd gaze straight into their eyes with a self-satisfied "Hey, look what I got!!" expression...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #77

Back when my husband got business trips, we were able to upgrade 3 sets of vacation flights: Biz Class to Hawaii and India, and First Class to Paris. Sweeeeet. I smiled at my peeps as they struggled past me, encumbered by their carryons and kids. My favorite part was the quiet so far from the engines. I tasted my first caviar on the flight to Hawaii--didn't think I'd like it, but Yum. Getting plied with fine wine was excellent for this nervous flier, too. Even if I never fly status class again, I can enjoy my memories. As for the discomfort in steerage--that's why Ibuprofen was invented.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #78

Yep, I was upgraded to first-class once. "Mr. Eagle", the flight attendant said, "Would you like some wine." This while we were still on the runway. Of course I would, thank you very much. And real glasses and real forks. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd go first-class all the time.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
. . . BTW, have you noticed how many of the people riding first class these days are enormously obese or get drunkenly loud and abusive? . . .
jc
The small regional jets don't have first class, and I found out what happens with the obese people recently. One of my fellow passengers, a woman approximately 5' 6" tall, had so much adipose tissue on her posterior that she could not get into the standard seat because there wasn't enough legroom--her knees were jammed into the seat in front of her when she was as far back as she could go in her seat. The helpful flight attendant fixed the problem by seating her in the emergency exit row. Sweet!! There's no way in the world that woman was going to squeeze through that hatch--and no way anyone else would be leaving through that exit, either.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

...It all just goes to show how we view things differently. Most of us do live within our means but we do have the things we like that we are willing to spend extra on. We are all just different enough that the things we deem worthy of spending the extra dough on are very different. For me the things I spend big on are my animals and my Randall knives. If I had known they were still serving caviar in first class I might be tempted. Show me sushi and I am there.
To each his own,
jc

Nords,
.....You wrote
"Speaking as a submariner, I'm getting tired of folding my body into small places"

I will never get into one of those silly army-navy your momma discussions but you sure tempted me to start one with that line.
jc