What OLD series/movies are you watching? *Spoilers welcome!*

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The world has me down. My new series have run out, I'm caught up with Star Trek:Strange New Worlds.

So I decided to dig deep and tried out a few oldies from childhood like: Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, and I Dream Of Jeanie.

I haven't watched any of these in 45 years.

Wow. I eventually landed on I Dream Of Jeannie for a few reasons. First of all, it requires no thinking. Second, Barbara Eden is amazingly beautiful. And third, the supporting cast is out of this world good.

Despite Larry Hagman being drunk most of the time, he plays it perfect. Hayden Rorke could be any of us: "what is going on here?" Don't we all feel that way sometimes? Paul Lynde makes only a few appearances (along with also appearing on Bewitched), and he is beyond incredible. My goodness, these old comedians were amazing. It seems like the new generation is always grinding an axe or two. If anyone had an axe to grind, it should be Paul Lynde, yet we remember him fondly not only for his scripted performances, but his incredible ad-libed wit on Hollywood Squares*.

I've only watched a few episodes and what is striking me is that the producers gave Jeannie an unspoken feminist authority, without her parading around in ERA protests. She was devilish and always got the best of Tony. Tony is in many ways the anti-Darrin. He wanted authority and could have easily had it (he is the master after all), but he played along with Jeannie and let her do her thing. Jeannie would have gotten along fine with Cindy Lauper because "Girls Just Want to Have Fun." And she does. Tony protests, but secretly loves it, and Jeannie, too.

* - Yes, I know Hollywood Squares was partially scripted, with the actors having canned answers ahead of time. Watch Paul Lynde, though. There's a reason he was in the center. He went way beyond the canned answers.

Last edited:
I had some Amazon promotional credits from choosing slower shipping speeds. They were going to expire, so I used them and got a free digital copy of Casablanca. I hadn't seen it in a while. I just watched it, and it's still phenomenal. I'd have bought African Queen, but it wasn't available digitally.

I had some Amazon promotional credits from choosing slower shipping speeds. They were going to expire, so I used them and got a free digital copy of Casablanca. I hadn't seen it in a while. I just watched it, and it's still phenomenal. I'd have bought African Queen, but it wasn't available digitally.

Great movie (Casablanca), only saw it once. I need to watch it again.

One of my favorite old westerns. Hombre. Don’t see it mentioned much in lists of classic westerns. Stars Paul Newman. I really like it.

I'm watching Perry Mason on Paramount+, currently half way through season 2. These are complexly plotted crime stories with some deviously clever maneuvers by Mason. The banter between Mason and Lieutenant Tragg of homicide is always interesting. The courtroom scenes are generally well done in the context of the era.

The year is 1958, the year I was born, so it's nostalgic seeing and identifying cars I remember from growing up. Everybody smokes cigarettes. The legal fees are ridiculously small.

Yes, the frequent confession of the killer at the end of the show after they fall into Mason's trap are kind of cheesy, but it doesn't happen all the time.

Previously to Perry Mason I watched nine seasons of Gunsmoke; seasons 1 through 6 were 30 minutes long. I liked that shorter format better. I also liked Chester better than Festus. Also occasionally appearing is a young Burt Reynolds.

Before Gunsmoke it was Alfred Hitchcock Presents (the 30 minute episodes.)

All these shows were like training days for some well known actors like William Shatner, Robert Vaughn, Cloris Leachman, Leonard Nimoy, Roger Moore, and yes, Barbara Eden and many more.

The world has me down. My new series have run out, I'm caught up with Star Trek:Strange New Worlds.

So I decided to dig deep and tried out a few oldies from childhood like: Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, and I Dream Of Jeanie.

I haven't watched any of these in 45 years....[Snip]
If you're a baby boomer like me, you'll remember that transitional TV season in 1965 when the old season ended that May or June and the new TV season started in Sept. 1965--when all those old black & white shows, like the ones you mention here, returned--but now all in living color!

Also remember, as a kid, when a TV season ended in May or June, just when the school year ended? While you had the summer off, so did most TV shows, instead airing their "summer replacements." Then they returned when you returned to school, right after Labor Day weekend!

And TV series usually had some 40 episodes per year. Then somewhere along the lines someone got smart and said! "Hey, why don't we do just 26 episodes and rerun them a second time, for 52 weeks total=a whole year!" Gone were the days of 40 episodes per year TV series.

And commercials were only a minute long. Maybe you might have two one-minute commercials back-to-back, but that was rare. I remember back in 1969, here in Seattle, they had the Stu Martin Show where he played old movies on Saturday nights, I think it was. It was the first time I saw some four or five minutes worth of commercials between film segments. Nowadays, four or five minutes of commercials between episode segments is the norm.

(I hope I didn't stray too far off topic here. :))

We happen on 2 episodes of Barney Miller last evening. Still laughing today.

all these shows were like training days for some well known actors like william shatner, robert vaughn, cloris leachman, leonard nimoy, roger moore, and yes, barbara eden and many more.

Mystery TV Actors 1957.jpgActor in 1958.jpg

One of our favorites though not as old as some of these is Frasier. Great series that probably couldn't be done today. We watch it every few years.

I haven't watched any of these in 45 years.

Wow. I eventually landed on I Dream Of Jeannie for a few reasons. First of all, it requires no thinking. Second, Barbara Eden is amazingly beautiful. And third, the supporting cast is out of this world good.

Despite Larry Hagman being drunk most of the time, he plays it perfect. Hayden Rorke could be any of us: "what is going on here?" Don't we all feel that way sometimes? Paul Lynde makes only a few appearances (along with also appearing on Bewitched), and he is beyond incredible. My goodness, these old comedians were amazing. It seems like the new generation is always grinding an axe or two. If anyone had an axe to grind, it should be Paul Lynde, yet we remember him fondly not only for his scripted performances, but his incredible ad-libed wit on Hollywood Squares*.

I've only watched a few episodes and what is striking me is that the producers gave Jeannie an unspoken feminist authority, without her parading around in ERA protests. She was devilish and always got the best of Tony. Tony is in many ways the anti-Darrin. He wanted authority and could have easily had it (he is the master after all), but he played along with Jeannie and let her do her thing. Jeannie would have gotten along fine with Cindy Lauper because "Girls Just Want to Have Fun." And she does. Tony protests, but secretly loves it, and Jeannie, too.

* - Yes, I know Hollywood Squares was partially scripted, with the actors having canned answers ahead of time. Watch Paul Lynde, though. There's a reason he was in the center. He went way beyond the canned answers.

I met Larry Hagman. It was right after he was "shot" on Dallas. He attended a celebrity day at a kids center. He needed a cane to walk (from being shot).

I met Larry Hagman. It was right after he was "shot" on Dallas. He attended a celebrity day at a kids center. He needed a cane to walk (from being shot).
He was in character? Cool. Or maybe it was his liver.

Back sometime around 1972 or so, dad took me to a celebrity autograph signing event at a local department store. The celebrity was Barbara Eden. I remember walking up to the table and being dumbstruck, and babbling something. She was beautiful, gracious and bubbly.

One of our favorites though not as old as some of these is Frasier. Great series that probably couldn't be done today. We watch it every few years.
It qualifies. Our old-but-not-too-old shows are The Office or Seinfeld. Both also could not be made the same way.

Can't get enough film noir from the 1940's to 1960's. I record a few over the air. I have found a bunch on archives.org. All it takes is a flawed hero and a bad woman.

Do an internet search for Humphrey Bogart or Veronica Lake or Lizabeth Scott or Gloria Grahame or Robert Mitchum. Find a movie that interests you, then track down where can I watch. Archives.org allows me to cast to my smart TV.

Great movie (Casablanca), only saw it once. I need to watch it again.
Two years later Howard Hawks directed Bogart in To Have and Have Not which I have always loved. It shares some similarity in plot to Casablanca but it features Walter Brennan in a great supporting role and 19-year-old Lauren Bacall as Bogart's love interest. That turned out to be a better pairing I think than with Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca.

A Frasier reboot is in the works.

DW and I have gotten into CSI Miami and are almost completly thru with it. We tried watching CSI Vegas this past year but it just isn't as good to us.

Finished watching all of the old original Adam-12 on METV.
Takes me back to the 70s, at the Big U. On weekdays room mate and I would take a later dinner. And then get back up in time for the 6:30 PM showing of Adam-12 rerun, on his well-used 9" B&W TV. We had it down to a science, how to position the TV quick and each rabbit ear's angle and length to get a decent picture inside the concrete building.

After many episodes, the TV started to get intermittent, and a single knuckle rap to the right side of the plastic cabinet would bring it back.
Eventually, it didn't. The world was lost. :( We needed that half-hour to decompress, then hit the books, both being Engineering students.

I took it apart, looked over the PCB and wiring very closely. Found a cold solder joint at a tube socket pin. Hairline crack in the solder all around the pin. Had basic tools with me, and soldering iron and gun, sold-a-pult, etc. so resoldered it. The world was found again. :dance: Roomate thought I was a genius. We were so happy!
One - Adam - Twelve, see the man at...

We've been watching Suits again on Netflix.

We re just about done. Middle of season 8. Very good series.

We began watching Psych which was a USA Network stable mate of Suits. Really fun comedy. I think there are 8 seasons and 3 movies (we still need to see the movies). Lots of pop culture references, inside jokes and throwback casting.

Interesting too that Dule Hill who is on Psych becomes are regular on Suits in Season 7.

Lots of good programming.

I've started watching as many old Mel Brooks movies as I can. Started with "Young Frankenstein"...hilarious. I had just finished reading Mel Brooks recent autobiography "All About Me" and got such an appreciation for how he became such a great comedian and movie maker. So many great movies to go back and enjoy!

I've been watching the series "How the West was Won." I liked it as a kid. Still like it now.

Back
Top Bottom