What OLD series/movies are you watching? *Spoilers welcome!*

For some reason, I watched the original Star Wars trilogy over the past few weeks. Haven't seen any of them, in ages, although I have at least seen them since they went back and slipped in some CGI effect updates here and there.

I've seen the original (I still just call it "Star Wars" and not "A New Hope") and "The Empire Strikes Back" Lord-knows how many times, and enjoyed them as much as I ever did, as a kid. For some reason though, I always had trouble warming up to "Return of the Jedi." I wonder if some of it might have to do with when I first saw them, and that just affects my memory of them.

I saw the original in the theatre, three times, back in 1977. Dad took me to see it, and then I talked Mom into seeing it, and I think Granddad took me to see it too. I was 7 at the time, and just wowed by it. I don't think I saw Empire until 1985 or so. My Grandparents had cable tv, and taped it for me. I was 15 or so then. I remember renting Jedi from the video club after getting off work one evening and watching it. Probably would've been around 17. I liked it, but I think by that time, I was in a phase where I was outgrowing this kind of stuff. Plus, it was more geared towards the kids and marketing toys than the other two. So, it's my least favorite of the three.

Still, I enjoyed revisiting them all, once again. With the prequels, I remember seeing the 1999 one in the theater. I liked it, but don't remember much about it, other than it probably being one of the few movies where Sam Jackson doesn't say the F word. And I have no desire to watch it again. The second one, I remember watching it on Netflix or something like that, but fell asleep. I just remember it being too much talk, too many meetings, etc. I've heard people say the third one is the best of the prequels, but I've only seen bits and pieces. Maybe I'll give it a chance sometime, though.

With the last three movies, I saw the one that came out around Christmas 2015 in the theaters. Liked it, but it just didn't resonate with me, like the 1977/80/83 movies do. Never did see the other two, although I did see one of those side story movies. Can't remember which one, but it came out in late 2016, I want to say.

Oh, also somewhat recently, "Saturn 3", which I know I've mentioned before, came on Comet TV or something like that. It's one of those bad movies I always enjoy. I think it's just moody/creepy enough, for my tastes at least, and I always found the music score to be pretty incredible.

And, finally, "Capricorn One." I've seen it a few times over the years, so it's not like I was seeing anything new. And I think it was Comet TV where I caught it, so I don't know what they might have cut out of it. It's one of those movies that's full of plot holes and inconsistencies, but despite all that, and knowing how it ends, it manages to captivate me.

For some reason, I watched the original Star Wars trilogy over the past few weeks. Haven't seen any of them, in ages, although I have at least seen them since they went back and slipped in some CGI effect updates here and there.

With the last three movies, I saw the one that came out around Christmas 2015 in the theaters. Liked it, but it just didn't resonate with me, like the 1977/80/83 movies do. Never did see the other two, although I did see one of those side story movies. Can't remember which one, but it came out in late 2016, I want to say.

And, finally, "Capricorn One." I've seen it a few times over the years, so it's not like I was seeing anything new. And I think it was Comet TV where I caught it, so I don't know what they might have cut out of it. It's one of those movies that's full of plot holes and inconsistencies, but despite all that, and knowing how it ends, it manages to captivate me.

Of the Star Wars movies that have come out in the past 10 years, I recommend you watch "Star Wars: Rogue One." It's not saddled down with all the continuity baggage of the other more recent SW movies. It's got totally new characters and an original plot. I have also seen "Solo" (good, but not great), but have not seen "The Last Jedi (2017) or "The Rise of Skywalker" (2019.)

I love Capricorn One. I rewatched it last spring.

Last edited:
Just looked it up and yep, Rogue One was the last one I saw. I honestly don't remember much about it, but now I'm kinda curious to watch it again, the next time it happens to pop up somewhere. I'm sure it's on demand.

"Perry Mason" is on in the background right now. I don't normally watch it that often. I forgot how much it of its music score was pulled from "The Twilight Zone." I swear, during one scene a moment ago I could hear in my mind "The title, to serve man...it's a COOKBOOK!!"

Northern Exposure is on Amazon Prime.

One of my favorite series ever. I remember watching them when they first aired. And then getting the DVD's (from the library) and watching them with my daughter some years later.

Just watched the pilot and it's as good as I remember.

One of my favorite series ever. I remember watching them when they first aired. And then getting the DVD's (from the library) and watching them with my daughter some years later.

That's one of those shows I used to land on once in a while back in the olden days just killing time. I never saw the pilot as far as I know and probably didn't normally catch the beginning of an episode and didn't really know what was going on. I might have to watch the pilot, now.

I was surprised by the pacing of of the 30-minute Danger Man episodes, very fast for the time period.

Recommended. My wife and I are watching it now too.

Sadly, I bought the set of DVDs for this for her for Christmas, as we live in WA state and hiked through Roslyn (the actual town that is called "Cicily" in the show) recently. At that point, this was the only way to watch it, no streaming options available. So a little annoying when shortly after it came out on Amazon Prime.

OTOH, I don't have to deal with any of Amazon's crap to watch these now, including the new additional raft of ads they'll be shoveling in soon.

The town of Roslyn is pretty cool. It feels just like in the show really. One restaurant in town has the iconic mural still on the side. The other restaurant is called "The Brick", so we ate there when passing through.
There's also an old (old for the U.S. anyway) cemetery just out of town that we walked to which was more interesting to see than I had expected. For anyone going through that town, I recommend that you give it a look:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslyn_Historical_Cemeteries

We have a cabin not too-o far from there, so another dimension to this is to look at the background in various scenes and ask ourselves "Is that Lake Cle Elum? Or Kachess? Which part, from which angle?". Fun stuff. But the show itself holds up well too.

Yes, that is the first thing I noticed. They skip a lot of details and it moves so fast. The acting is superb and the Cold War theme is really cool.

I was surprised by the pacing of of the 30-minute Danger Man episodes, very fast for the time period.

I finished watching season 1 of Northern Exposure. I knew I had seen a bit of this series many years ago, but I had a memory of only one scene specifically thinking back that was more than just images in my mind. And it ended up that memory came from episode 4 of season 1 where Holling was talking to Fleischman about being concerned he would outlive Shelly. And one other scene I recognized was from that same episode when Shelly's father told Holling that he had hoped she would marry the astronaut. But I didn't recognize anything else in that episode or the rest season 1. It was entertaining and nostalgic. I'll watch season 2 but not sure I'll go any further.

Well I'm done with 2 seasons (15 episodes) of Northern Exposure. It was nostalgic to watch it some, but I'm done with it. It's a little dull for my tastes, and the main character (Fleischman) annoys me.

I signed up for the BritBox Black Friday special and the first thing I did was watch As Time Goes By from start to finish! It's a sweet and funny series starring Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer as former lovers who become separated, and then reunited after 40 years, by twists of fate.

Well I'm done with 2 seasons (15 episodes) of Northern Exposure. It was nostalgic to watch it some, but I'm done with it. It's a little dull for my tastes, and the main character (Fleischman) annoys me.

When I was working I had to go to the town where the show was set. My contact gave me a ‘tour of the town’. The tour finale was driving by a hill where a Moose descended? I sat there without a clue since I didn’t have a TV.

My brother is visiting and he wanted to watch Northern Exposure, which I had never seen. I found it funny and probably watch some more, but a shame it’s on Amazon. The ads are unwelcome, even though they may have fewer minutes showing ads they are still an irritating interruption.

Wife and I are currently watching the 80's tv series Dynasty on Pluto.

Wife and I are currently watching the 80's tv series Dynasty on Pluto.

Wow, this brings back memories. I watched the first couple of seasons of Dynasty when it originally ran back in the 80's. Don't judge me! I can't remember why I even started it, but it was hard to give up.

I signed up for the BritBox Black Friday special and the first thing I did was watch As Time Goes By from start to finish! It's a sweet and funny series starring Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer as former lovers who become separated, and then reunited after 40 years, by twists of fate.

It’s a great feel-good show. I especially like the character of Lionel Hardcastle who has to deal with a nearly constant barrage of drama from the three female housemates.

I think I can finally stump ER.ORG with this one! Identify the actor. This pic is from 1966.

Mystery-Actor-9.jpg

Nicely done, MuirWannabe and RunningBum.

I give up. This group is just too good.

I just finished up watching the series House (2004-2012). I had seen it back when it originally aired, so this was the second time through. I watched several episodes per week and was feeling a little burnt out and ready for it to end. It was a good show, but I don't want to see it again.

I don't think I posted to this thread before, but if it's a duplicate, I apologize.
I recently bought an 8-season boxed DVD set of the USA series "Burn Notice." It is such a well-put together series, a semi-spy thriller with lots of action and an irreverent flavor. Jeffrey Donavan is Michael Westen, a burned spy who takes on odd jobs in the Miami area. His sidekick is Bruce "The Chin" Campbell, and Sharon Gless plays Westen's chain-smoking mother. Gabrielle Anwar is Westen's sultry-but-dangerous love interest. The series maintains a plot thread throughout the run.

Back
Top Bottom