What OLD series/movies are you watching? *Spoilers welcome!*

I've seen both versions. The British one is a better production and has better acting, but the American one was pretty good and easier to relate to (as an American.)

I need my dictionary of British slang when I watch many of their shows. :)

Watched Lawrence of Arabia recently. I couldn't understand why Steven Speilberg said it is one of the best movies of all time. Then, while watching I googled what actually happened and the movie is pretty accurate historically. Very interesting, almost unbelievable story.

Speaking of Steven Spielberg, I watched Sugarland Express last night, Spielberg's first theatrically released film. He was 26 years old at the time. Technically well made, but basically a 90 minute chase scene with lots of cop cars getting wrecked. Nothing special, and is quite forgettable except for the Spielberg trivia. Hard to believe Spielberg's masterpiece of "Jaws" was released less than a year later.

Speaking of Steven Spielberg, I watched Sugarland Express last night, Spielberg's first theatrically released film. He was 26 years old at the time. Technically well made, but basically a 90 minute chase scene with lots of cop cars getting wrecked. Nothing special, and is quite forgettable except for the Spielberg trivia. Hard to believe Spielberg's masterpiece of "Jaws" was released less than a year later.

Right, and he never looked back. Not a single bad movie I can think of since then. This cracks me up. Jiminy Glick interviews Steven Spielberg. Steven is so humble! Probably the best director in history and Glick gives him so much s--t!

"Das Boot." Edge of your seat.

Worst date movie ever! I’m talking the original release, uncut in German with subtitles (not dubbed) when it was first released. MY idea, future DH would never have gone to an "art" theater, but I knew he liked submarines.

I never watched any of the later theatrical releases or TV series of Das Boot, but he did!

I remember seeing "Sugarland Express" like AGES ago, and thinking it was pretty awesome. But then I saw it again, and it just didn't live up to my original impression of it. About all I can remember of it, off the top of my head, is that they got ahold of some old lady's '56 Roadmaster towards the beginning, and wrecked it. And I seem to recall a lot of the police car crash scenes just seemed forced and silly, more like a bad episode of "CHiPs", rather than "quality" entertainment of the time, such as "Smokey and the Bandit" or "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry." :p

I think a better example of early Spielberg is 1971's "Duel", which is what really put him on the map. Although technically, it was an ABC Movie of the Week, and not a theatrical release. However, it proved popular enough that a few years later they shot some extra footage to pad the movie up to theatrical length, and put it in the theatres around 1974.

"Duel" is really just a simple, classic, "Man vs Beast" movie...even if the "Beast" is a 1955 Peterbilt 281. But it plays out pretty well, at a decent pace. And interestingly, the picture quality, i swear, almost seems like it could have been shot yesterday. It doesn't have that "70's look", for lack of a better word. Although I guess it's possible it was restored at some point.

It actually plays out like an extra-long Twilight Zone episode, although much of that might have to do with it being written by Richard Matheson. And the music was done by Billy Goldenberg or someone like that, who did a lot of early Columbo episodes. It has a sort of surreal sound to it, that seems one part "The Exorcist", one part "Psycho" and oddly, one part "Led Zeppelin."

Right, and he never looked back. Not a single bad movie I can think of since then. This cracks me up. Jiminy Glick interviews Steven Spielberg. Steven is so humble! Probably the best director in history and Glick gives him so much s--t!

I seem to recall "1941" being considered a flop, and "The Film that Almost Killed Spielberg's Career." I remember seeing it in the theater and liking it, but I was also like 9 or 10! Apparently the worldwide market ultimately gave it some redemption, but in the US, I think it was considered a failure.

As for "Jaws", I know a few people who didn't like it at first, but that's because they tried to shoehorn it into a "horror movie" category, and in their eyes, "horror" meant stuff like "Halloween," "Friday the 13th," "Nightmare on Elm Street," etc. Or a monster movie. And it really wasn't either. I've told them to try and NOT picture it as a slasher/horror movie, and my friends have agreed, that gives them a better impression of it.

In a lot of respects, "Jaws" was basically "Duel" with a life jacket. They even used the same sound effect at the end when the "Beast" dies.

In the 80's, when slasher movies were all the rage, and possibly influenced by 1977's "The Car" and more recently "Christine", "Duel" actually got re-marketed as a slasher/horror type movie. My first experience with it was seeing it in the video club, around 1984, with the tagline "The Most Bizarre Murder Weapon Ever Used."

My memory's fuzzy on it, but I wonder if they might have tried re-marketing the original "Jaws" in a similar fashion in the 80's?

It's not for everyone, but I loved Six Feet Under. I thought it got progressively better each season, with Season 5 being exceptionally good. I remember not loving it when it first came out, and it took me almost the whole of Season 1 to really get into it, but I ended up thinking it was one of the very best shows on TV in the early 2000s.
Okay, maybe I'll watch a few more episodes before giving up. Thanks!

I think a better example of early Spielberg is 1971's "Duel", which is what really put him on the map. Although technically, it was an ABC Movie of the Week, and not a theatrical release. However, it proved popular enough that a few years later they shot some extra footage to pad the movie up to theatrical length, and put it in the theatres around 1974.

"Duel" is really just a simple, classic, "Man vs Beast" movie...even if the "Beast" is a 1955 Peterbilt 281. But it plays out pretty well, at a decent pace. And interestingly, the picture quality, i swear, almost seems like it could have been shot yesterday.

Yes, two thumbs up for "Duel." I saw it about 30 years ago on cable, and just about a month ago I was surfing around I found it and caught the gas station, snake pit tourist trap, telephone booth scene (people who have seen Duel will know.) And yes, the quality of the print is outstanding.

My first daily driver was a slant six Plymouth Valiant, which is the car in "Duel." I noticed that most of the police cars in "Sugarland Express" were Plymouth Fury's. I wonder if young Spielberg was a fan of Mopar vehicles?

rather than "quality" entertainment of the time, such as "Smokey and the Bandit" or "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry."

I think a better example of early Spielberg is 1971's "Duel", which is what really put him on the map.

I saw Smokey and the Bandit over the summer. I had seen it many years ago. I didn't enjoy it - just wanted it to end.

I've seen Duel a few times, most recently just a few years ago. It was decent, but I don't have any desire to see it again.

I've actually never seen Jaws. But someone just posted a spoiler about the beast, so no need now. :LOL:

Last edited:
I've actually never seen Jaws. But someone just posted a spoiler about the beast, so no need now.

Yeah, once upon a time I was going to watch "JFK" but someone spoiled if for me when they let slip that he dies in the end.

Yeah, once upon a time I was going to watch "JFK" but someone spoiled if for me when they let slip that he dies in the end.
I haven't seen that one, either. But you have to be careful when reading movie reviews, social media posts, and such to avoid spoilers. I usually don't even watch the trailers because they can give away too much. You'll note this thread even says, "spoilers welcome".

Last edited:
Okay, maybe I'll watch a few more episodes before giving up. Thanks!
Six Feet Under never interested me. Why bother forcing yourself to watch something you're not enjoying? There are so many other things you could watch that you will enjoy and make better use of your time. I would normally not give a show more than one episode to get my interest.

My first exposure to "Duel", in a roundabout way, was "The Incredible Hulk." There was a Season 1 episode called "Never Give a Trucker an Even Break" that used a bunch of stock footage from "Duel". The plotline involved David Banner getting involved with a lady trucker whose rig was stolen, and used to transport stolen computer components. It used a lot of the stock driving/chase scenes from "Duel", but they got ahold of a Valiant to shoot new scenes. And apparently one of the trucks was still around. I think it was the truck that was used to shoot the new footage to pad the movie to feature length, but was not used in the original, tv-movie release, or something like that.

Anyway, at some point in the episode, the lady trucker, David Banner, and one of the bad guys all end up behind the wheel of the Valiant, so they had all three actors wearing blue shirts, so it would somewhat match up with Dennis Weaver, who was wearing a blue shirt in "Duel".

I actually enjoyed the episode, both as a kid, and even now. Apparently Spielberg was PISSED, though, and put some clause in that none of his future productions could ever be raided for stock footage.

"The Incredible Hulk" did that more than once though. They also raided "Earthquake" and whichever "Airport" that had Karen Black having to fly the 747 for stock footage, and built episodes around them.

Unfortunately though I saw the "Incredible Hulk" episode when it was first broadcast, so probably about 7 or 8 years before I first saw "Duel". So, it might have taken away a bit of "Duel's" impact for me, initially. But, it's one of those movies where if I was channel surfing and came across it, I'd definitely stop and watch it!

I've actually never seen Jaws. But someone just posted a spoiler about the beast, so no need now. :LOL:

Yeah, Dennis Weaver jams the gas pedal of his Valiant with his briefcase and jumps out just in time, before ramming the shark, head on. :p

Yeah, Dennis Weaver jams the gas pedal of his Valiant with his briefcase and jumps out just in time, before ramming the shark, head on. :p
I thought the beast shark might live - they had a Jaws 2. Must have been a different shark.

I haven't seen that one, either. But you have to be careful when reading movie reviews, social media posts, and such to avoid spoilers. I usually don't even watch the trailers because they can give away too much. You'll note this thread even says, "spoilers welcome".

My housemates and I were watching some bad slasher movie just the other day. However, we did watch the preview first and noticed that it did give away WAY too much. Basically, we knew most of the characters who were going to die, and how they died. Still watched it anyway, although I fell asleep about 1/3 of the way through.

One movie I think was spoiled by the trailer was 1973's "Westworld". I first saw the movie in the late 80's. It came on late one night, and I taped it, and watched it the next day. It had one scene in it that I'd consider a twist, that I NEVER would have seen coming. I won't say it here, on the off chance that someone hasn't seen Westworld, and is interested in it.

However, years later, I found it on Netflix, and wanted to see it, and my housemate watched it with me. However, we watched the trailer first, and what I considered the shocking twist scene, was right there in the trailer!

Anyway, if anyone's curious about the twist scene, feel free to hit me privately. And nowadays, it may not even be so shocking anymore, because it actually HAS been done before, and I'm sure has been done since, countless times. And maybe it wasn't even a shocker at the time for most people, even if to me, it was.

One historical novel that was turned into a great movie thriller was 1973's "Day of the Jackal" about an assassination attempt (fiction but believable) on Charles de Gaulle in the early 1960's. Of course, we know the attempt must fail but the movie still keeps us on the edge of our seats throughout right up through the wonderful plot twist at the very end. Edward Fox is great as the Jackal!

One historical novel that was turned into a great movie thriller was 1973's "Day of the Jackal" about an assassination attempt (fiction but believable) on Charles de Gaulle in the early 1960's. Of course, we know the attempt must fail but the movie still keeps us on the edge of our seats throughout right up through the wonderful plot twist at the very end. Edward Fox is great as the Jackal!

Never saw the movie but I read the book in high school.

Me too. I never saw Jaws. I have also never seen Titanic. But, I know the ending to that movie - the ship sinks. And then His Lordship must find a new male heir to Downton Abbey.

Last edited:
I never saw Jaws. I have also never seen Titanic. But, I know the ending to that movie - the ship sinks. And then his Lordship must then find a new male heir to Downton Abbey.
How about Jaws 2, JFK, and Smokey and the Bandit? I've never seen Titanic or Downton Abbey.

I just finished watching an old Thanksgiving movie from 1987 called Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. I had seen it more than once before and knew the ending, but it was fun to watch again. I won't give any spoilers.

Last edited:
For some reason I'm getting the itch to watch "National Lampoon's Vacation" again. It's been years since I've seen it. I don't think I've seen "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles," but have a feeling I'd enjoy it.

I've also never seen "National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation," but I've also heard it's no great shakes. Still, I liked the other films in the series, so I guess I should watch it, at some point.

Never saw the movie but I read the book in high school.
I also enjoyed reading Frederick Forsyth’s early books in high school. The recent ones haven’t been as good. I watched the movie many years after I’d read the book and enjoyed it. Edward Fox was great as the Jackal. I believe his nephew is Laurence Fox who played Hathaway on Lewis.

Saw the Albert Brooks documentary on Max last night, very funny. Now I want to go back and watch all his movies. He plays the evil bad guy really well too.
Drive, Muse, Defending Your Life, Lost in America, Broadcast News, Modern Romance,...

Back
Top Bottom