Incredable...

jclarksnakes said:
....Flying first class? Who needs it? It just seems like more of that conspicuous consumption, keeping up with the Joneses crap that is totally pointless. I would actually be embarrassed to sit in first class thinking all those people going by on their way to steerage knew I was totally stupid for wasting good money to get a little more elbow room on a two hour flight. Some things in life are important. Riding first class ain't one of them.
Speaking as a submariner, I'm getting tired of folding my body into small places.

Flying first class definitely falls into my "What are you saving it for?" category, although I'm not so sure that I'd take our teenager into that environment. (Some parental tortures are too cruel & unusual even for teens.) But a seat without a small seatback-kicking noisy child behind me being restless for eight hours? Especially if spouse & I are enroute Vegas or some other grownups-only vacation? Definitely.

As for the coach passengers filing by while I'm choosing between a cabernet or a chardonnay, I'd gaze straight into their eyes with a self-satisfied "Hey, look what I got!!" expression...

Back when my husband got business trips, we were able to upgrade 3 sets of vacation flights: Biz Class to Hawaii and India, and First Class to Paris. Sweeeeet. I smiled at my peeps as they struggled past me, encumbered by their carryons and kids. My favorite part was the quiet so far from the engines. I tasted my first caviar on the flight to Hawaii--didn't think I'd like it, but Yum. Getting plied with fine wine was excellent for this nervous flier, too. Even if I never fly status class again, I can enjoy my memories. As for the discomfort in steerage--that's why Ibuprofen was invented.

Yep, I was upgraded to first-class once. "Mr. Eagle", the flight attendant said, "Would you like some wine." This while we were still on the runway. Of course I would, thank you very much. And real glasses and real forks. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd go first-class all the time.

jclarksnakes said:
. . . BTW, have you noticed how many of the people riding first class these days are enormously obese or get drunkenly loud and abusive? . . .
jc

The small regional jets don't have first class, and I found out what happens with the obese people recently. One of my fellow passengers, a woman approximately 5' 6" tall, had so much adipose tissue on her posterior that she could not get into the standard seat because there wasn't enough legroom--her knees were jammed into the seat in front of her when she was as far back as she could go in her seat. The helpful flight attendant fixed the problem by seating her in the emergency exit row. Sweet!! There's no way in the world that woman was going to squeeze through that hatch--and no way anyone else would be leaving through that exit, either.

...It all just goes to show how we view things differently. Most of us do live within our means but we do have the things we like that we are willing to spend extra on. We are all just different enough that the things we deem worthy of spending the extra dough on are very different. For me the things I spend big on are my animals and my Randall knives. If I had known they were still serving caviar in first class I might be tempted. Show me sushi and I am there.
To each his own,
jc

Nords,
.....You wrote
"Speaking as a submariner, I'm getting tired of folding my body into small places"

I will never get into one of those silly army-navy your momma discussions but you sure tempted me to start one with that line.
jc

jclarksnakes said:
....Flying first class? Who needs it? It just seems like more of that conspicuous consumption, keeping up with the Joneses crap that is totally pointless. I would actually be embarrassed to sit in first class thinking all those people going by on their way to steerage knew I was totally stupid for wasting good money to get a little more elbow room on a two hour flight. Some things in life are important. Riding first class ain't one of them. BTW, have you noticed how many of the people riding first class these days are enormously obese or get drunkenly loud and abusive? Me thinks it is more pleasant to ride in the back with the sober skinny people.
jc

I would LOVE to fly first class all the time... I was able to do so on a number of flight with upgrades and when I traveled overseas a few times for work...

And like someone else said.... I have never seen someone drunk in first class... back in the cheap seats I have...

To me, the wider chair and more space between rows is great... and when going overseas you can get some sleep...

Texas Proud said:
And like someone else said.... I have never seen someone drunk in first class... back in the cheap seats I have...

You've obviously never sat next to Wade Boggs on the Boston-L.A. red-eye...

When I was in the Navy from 69-72 the airlines allowed you to fly military stand-by for half the regular fair. You had to be in uniform to get stand-by status. I was upgraded several times without asking to first class because no seats were available in coach. Maybe it was because I was an officer and those tropical whites looked so good. Times have changed but in my opinion we cannot do enough for our volunteer men and women who signed up to serve their country.

2soon

jclarksnakes said:
.....You wrote
"Speaking as a submariner, I'm getting tired of folding my body into small places"
I will never get into one of those silly army-navy your momma discussions but you sure tempted me to start one with that line.
Hey, I've never lost a passenger out an exit door yet. To quote another notorious pilot, "Bring it on!"

I'm darn glad that LASIK didn't exist when I joined the Navy, or I might have spent the rest of my life in blissful ignorance as an aviator...

My spouse has pointed out to me many times that I lack a concept of personal space. I still tend to walk with one hip & shoulder pointing forward (learned in those two-foot-wide passageways) and to weave around people. I'm all too likely to squeeze through a crowd or to put my hand on someone's shoulders to indicate that I'm coming through behind them. (Apparently we're supposed to stand in one place and loudly broadcast our request for passage? It's never occurred to me.) Only recently have I "learned" to sprawl across a queen-size mattress rather than sleep in a 28"x66" space with a throw pillow.

I have plenty of aviator friends & relatives who won't get small again, including an F-4 RIO who's been able to upgrade from cockpit to first class with no problems...

2soon2tell said:
I was upgraded several times without asking to first class because no seats were available in coach. 

Same thing happened to me, but it was on my way from Philadelphia to Texas (Lackland AFB).  Only thing was that I was in my civilian clothes on my way to basic training! (no - I was not a "sharp dresser"  :D )

- Ron

Nords said:
Hey, I've never lost a passenger out an exit door yet. To quote another notorious pilot, "Bring it on!"

I'm darn glad that LASIK didn't exist when I joined the Navy, or I might have spent the rest of my life in blissful ignorance as an aviator...

And to think I was almost convinced petty jealousy and lame excuses were beneath you.

Nords said:
I have plenty of aviator friends...

Now where have I heard that before? "Some of my best friends are _______." What next? Are you gonna take that "I'm not a racist" "I don't suffer from pilot envy" platitude to the next level like these folks?

;)

REWahoo! said:
Now where have I heard that before?  "Some of my best friends are _______."  What next?  Are you gonna take that "I'm not a racist" "I don't suffer from pilot envy" platitude to the next level like these folks?

;)
Oh my, had today's stock market not put a smile on my face, that web site of yours sure would. :LOL: :LOL:

REWahoo! said:
And to think I was almost convinced petty jealousy and lame excuses were beneath you.
Now where have I heard that before?  "Some of my best friends are _______."  What next?  Are you gonna take that "I'm not a racist" "I don't suffer from pilot envy" platitude to the next level like these folks?
;)
Phew, didn't I see them in a beer commercial?

Flying first class reminds me of a situation I found myself in in the mid 70's when I was in the army reserves. I was the ranking officer of a group of about 40 soldiers flying back from El Paso to Charlotte after our 2 weeks of annual training. Prior to take off, a flight attendent advised me that there was a first class seat available and offered it to me. I asked her if I could substitute another soidier in the seat. That was ok with her,  so I asked one of the NCO's to round up the most junior soldier in our unit ASAP and bring him to me. The man that he presented to me had been in the army for only a couple of months and was a private.

I turned him over to this pretty flight attendent and he walk into first class like he belonged there. Under my breath I said to him "Don't screw this up Private" He later told me that as he was strolling to the first class section he was thinking: "Man, this Army is alright..."  He later retired from the reserves as a Sargeant Major (E-9).

I still have yet to fly first class.

Cool Dood said:
You've obviously never sat next to Wade Boggs on the Boston-L.A. red-eye...

Never have taken that flight... you must not have flied between Newark and London or other Europe locations... free drinks in the back...

Texas Proud said:
Never have taken that flight...  you must not have flied between Newark and London or other Europe locations... free drinks in the back...
Unless you fly USAir. They served drinks in all classes in the past, but since 9-11 the "rules" have changed. That's why I switched to SAS or British Air...

- Ron

JPatrick said:
Oh my, had today's stock market not put a smile on my face, that web site of yours sure would. :LOL: :LOL:

Be sure to check out some of the letters on the "Your Letters" tab. One of my favorites:

"I don't get it. You guys can't be white, can you? I don't know if this is some racist sh*t or what. It'd kinda funny but from who's perspective. I'm not bigging up any racist sh*t so f*** you guys if your racist, and keep up the good work if your black (it's still confusing)."

Back
Top Bottom