Indicators of Wealth?

Yes, this is "treat meat" for sure, not everyday fare. Tonight's supper will be something less exotic like a grilled ham & cheese.

I was delighted with the product and will order again w/o even thinking about it, it's that good.

Have fun, enjoy life's little pleasures while you can!

Meat arrived yesterday in good shape and frozen solid;

29145090210_a929934890_o.jpg

Nice marble eh?

From L to R, Ribeye, NY, Filet

Looks fantastic :)

Two tenderloins prepped with sea salt and rested at room temp for an hour;

29623119546_5f2ef4aca5_z.jpg

Big Green Egg with a blazing load of mesquite;

29623119906_ee3141d178_z.jpg

Best steaks we ever ate in our lives;

29547458752_b7c32e7875_z.jpg

Yup, eighty bucks a pound and worth every penny - :)

Not trying to rain on your parade, as I fully believe your rave review, but the meat will absorb more smoke flavor if it's colder (right out of the frig) instead of room temp.

Very small difference for the very short cook time on a steak, but still ...

I don't want a lot of smoke in the steaks, I use mesquite because it's heavy and dense and burns really hot. What I want is a good burn on the outside without being too cooked on the inside. If the meat is too cold (right out of the fridge) it's too raw on the inside.

These are on like 2 minutes / side.

I don't want a lot of smoke in the steaks, I use mesquite because it's heavy and dense and burns really hot. What I want is a good burn on the outside without being too cooked on the inside. If the meat is too cold (right out of the fridge) it's too raw on the inside.

These are on like 2 minutes / side.

I used to have a colleague that would, when asked how he wanted his steak done, tell the waiter, "just hold it under a 100W light bulb for a few minutes."

I used to have a colleague that would, when asked how he wanted his steak done, tell the waiter, "just hold it under a 100W light bulb for a few minutes."
And my grandfather used to send under cooked steak back with the comment that he'd seen cows hurt worse that lived.

And my grandfather used to send under cooked steak back with the comment that he'd seen cows hurt worse that lived.

Yea, my dad was one who did not like ANY pink or red... I did not know how good steak really was until I was older and BIL gave me one that was only medium...

I had a coworker who used to say 'burn it'... and she meant it!!! Heck, I do not think there was any juice in that meat...

As I got older my meat got "redder". You can't do this with burger and be safe as it's all ground up and the e coli could be anywhere. But steak is different, it's a solid piece and you can safely "burn the outside and leave the inside raw"

Which is precisely how I like mine now - :)

As I got older my meat got "redder". You can't do this with burger and be safe as it's all ground up and the e coli could be anywhere. But steak is different, it's a solid piece and you can safely "burn the outside and leave the inside raw"

Exactly right.
I'm a "rare" guy, but DW has me trained to do "medium rare". If she ever wanted such an abomination as "medium" I would have to just get her a BGE of her own.

My philosophy has always been that if the cow has been properly branded, that's cooked enough.

Exactly right.

I'm a "rare" guy, but DW has me trained to do "medium rare". If she ever wanted such an abomination as "medium" I would have to just get her a BGE of her own.

My philosophy has always been that if the cow has been properly branded, that's cooked enough.

You and my dad. His version: "Just lop off the horns and run it on out here."

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Next up live clams from the east coast - :)

How about this one from a friend of mine in Texas....Wipe it's ass, knock off the horns and walk it by the fire!:LOL:

Those steaks look delicious. I like my steaks medium rare maybe just a tiny bit more cooked than the one in the front - but it is hard to tell by a picture. But most of my friends and family eat their steaks medium well or well done. :nonono:

Last edited:
Yea, my dad was one who did not like ANY pink or red...

I had a coworker who used to say 'burn it'... and she meant it!!!.

Back in the days when I was working, we had all sorts of lunch and dinner meetings and/or celebrations at some really nice restaurants. Usually several a month. I could usually (not 100%) tell who was a native Texan by the way they order their steaks cooked.

Depending on the restaurant, I'll ordered my steaks well done, burnt or even extra crispy.

I got a 35% off code for lobster roll kits at Maine Lobster Now, so I ordered 1 up. Should be here Thursday. One pound lobster meat, 6 buns, chips, mayo and sea salted butter and instructions. People rave about 'em and I never ate one.

Will probably make 4 quarter pound sammies and toss (feed the dogs) the other 2 buns.

$112 with shipping, that's twenty eight bucks a sandwich - :)

Exactly right.

I'm a rare guy, maybe blue. Branded would work too. Just kill the outside bugs and don't let anyone else judge the doneness.

When DW and I married she didn't understand what a steak was. After much discussion she explained "we called that burnt meat".

Today she's a medium rare person.

Sadly after eating when FIL was in charge of the grill I understood. Watched the man grill a bunch of beautiful lobsters for about an hour! We both grinned and thanked him for an excellent dinner. He did steak the same way. Oddly he did an awesome turkey.

I know there are all kinds of definitions for being wealthy. Things like being in the top 1% (or .01%), or having a certain net worth, or income level. Personally, I like the link to having "no financial constraints on activities." So, what are some specific activities that might indicate a person is wealthy? Some of mine include:

1) Purchase international business class tickets (even if you hunt for the cheaper ones) without hesitation.

2) Never even consider going to Denny's, Sizzler, etc.

3) Never consider staying at Motel 6 or Super 8.

4) Spending $100-$200 on a whim. Want that new Amazon Echo? Just buy it and if it doesn't work out...who cares. It was only $200.

What are some of your indicators?

I am not in the Top 1 percent, but i have done all those.
1) I have a relative working for an airline, so i have gone first-class and business- class for a great discount to Asia and Europe. The heated nuts, the ice cream, the wine, the steak, the sleep ... all great in first class.
2) Have dined at the top steak house, but nothing beats grilling my own Prime Rib steak.
3) We use our timeshare, so we mostly stay at Marriots, Sheraton, Westgate and Ocean Beach Club. DW and i just spent 8 days on a 2 bedroom Marriot Summit suite in Park City, Utah to watch the Fall season. I always try to get a 2-bedroom suite or more, so it feels like home.
4) At this point in my life, i dont care much for accumulating more stuff. My latest was buying a 12.9 inch Ipad, but bought it on ebay for $700 like brand new - brand new cost $1000.

We use to have a loghome up in the mountains. Owned it for 6 years, but sold it - just got tired of the maintenance.
Nice cars ... not for show, but just enjoying driving a car.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I really only enjoy nice things if I can brag about them, that is truly the sweetest part.

Back
Top Bottom