Indicators of Wealth?

Go through the drive thru and stay in your car with the A/C on.:D
:facepalm: You can see that I don't have a habit of going to fast food places.

I just woke up from a nap. Darn, it must be old age. The nap was not that long.

Anyway, that craving has passed. Think I am going out to raid the fridge to see if we still have any ice cream.

My eggs, bacon and hashbrowns with a milk came to ten bucks. It was delicious.

Tomorrow I could drop $40 at the sushi bar. It will be delicious.

Wealth is having anything I want to eat anytime I want it w/o even thinking about the cost.

Haven't eaten at Denny's in a while, and mostly ate there for breakfast, often at 3am, to absorb some excess alcohol... Have stayed in my share of fleabag, no-tell motels too, but I've upgraded to Holiday Inn Express.

Assuming I was wealthy, flying first class would be on the list of upgrades.

:facepalm: You can see that I don't have a habit of going to fast food places.

I just woke up from a nap. Darn, it must be old age. The nap was not that long.

Anyway, that craving has passed. Think I am going out to raid the fridge to see if we still have any ice cream.
My neighbor has these ice cream attacks. He calls and asks if I have any ice cream. I never have had any when he calls, or any other time in the last ten years. Last time he called he left a voice mail that did not mention what he was after. When I called back he said his neighbor on the other other side had brought him some so he was OK.

Ha

I have tried Dennys a few times and been disappointed every time. However, it's cheap and convenient and it's food. In my opinion, there are plenty of other restaurants with just as bad food that are "cool" and "hip" and people can go there without any stigma because they are cool and hip. Lol.

As for Motel 6. Sure, if it's me and the guys on a road trip we can do a night at a cheapie to crash for a few hours but if the wife and kids are there it won't happen.

I'm so picky about food.

I remember the excitement at the various RV parks about the "ice cream social". It turns out they all serve the absolute cheapest ice cream they can find at the cheapest store. Thin, fluffy, icy, no flavor and probably no cream either - yuck. What a let down.

You can get great ice cream in TX - but not at an RV park without buying it yourself.

That's my experience with "freebies".

Yup, I buy Ben & Jerry's or Haagen-Dazs and then drizzle the real balsamic on top.

My neighbor has these ice cream attacks. He calls and asks if I have any ice cream. I never have had any when he calls, or any other time in the last ten years. Last time he called he left a voice mail that did not mention what he was after. When I called back he said his neighbor on the other other side had brought him some so he was OK.

Ha
Every so often, I would have a craving of something. However, I am not that picky, and also we have so much food in the house that I can find something else to eat, if I do not have what I am after.

I am not that picky about food, but do not go to fast food places because of the calories that they pack. And the French fry that tastes sooo good wreaks havoc with one's blood sugar.

I'm so picky about food.

I remember the excitement at the various RV parks about the "ice cream social". It turns out they all serve the absolute cheapest ice cream they can find at the cheapest store. Thin, fluffy, icy, no flavor and probably no cream either - yuck. What a let down...

Well, as I pointed out in a recent thread about diabetes, another damn good reason for eating good ice cream is that premium ice cream has a much lower glycemic index than cheap ice cream.

Last edited:
Girlfriend much better looking than ones self. If your girlfriend is better looking than you, you likely have something, and it may be wealth.

Ha

Married way out of me league looks wise. And I was poor at the time to boot.

She said she knew I had potential and just needed a good woman's guidance.

Yup, I buy Ben & Jerry's or Haagen-Dazs and then drizzle the real balsamic on top.

You've got to spend the time to do balsamic reduction.

Well, I have not done that either, but one of these days....

IIRC Warren Buffet eats at Dairy Queen not Burger King. He makes a point of it because DQ is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. lol

Exactly. BIG difference.

I eat ice cream at DQ. Their chocolate dipped cones are pretty dang good.

Buffett is known for being crazy about DQ's soft serve ice cream, even before he bought the business. But he also likes to eat at Burger King, and has invested a few billions there too.

Buffett has been quoted as saying "I eat like a six-year old". He gobbles down a lot of Cokes, hamburgers and French frys. How the heck he still stays healthy is beyond me. Many of his fellow billionaires don't do so well, healthwise.

About billionaires having simple tastes, I ran across this photo of two of the world's most well-known billionaires in a non-descript diner.

PS. I will tell you this though. Bill Gates is my age, but I look a lot younger than he does. You just have to believe me on this.

buffett_gates2.jpg

You've got to spend the time to do balsamic reduction.

Well, I have not done that either, but one of these days....

No I don't. I just buy the real stuff "Aceto balsamico tradizionale di Modena"

If you buy the real stuff no reduction in required, it's thick as syrup right out of the bottle.

So, I've looked. Impressive... :)

One more thing for me to try.

Uses-Balsamic-Glaze.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds really expensive and it is, but you use so little that it lasts a long time.

Give it a try!

Why doesn't Buffett take a bottle to his DQ ice cream outings?

Perhaps he does, but adds it on clandestinely to avoid losing his common-man reputation?

About billionaires having simple tastes, I ran across this photo of two of the world's most well-known billionaires in a non-descript diner.

Once he find something he likes, he just sticks with it.

A Visit to Warren Buffett's Favorite Restaurant

Becky: But he does like the desserts, right?
Donna: Yes, he loves root beer floats.
Becky: That's his thing every time?
Donna: That's his thing every time, a big root beer float.

The restaurant mentioned seems to have closed now. Shucks for him.

The late Thomas Stanley of TMND had a post on his blog about millionaire tastes:

"When people ask me about the activities of millionaires, I have a short answer. As I wrote in The Millionaire Mind, the typical millionaire is, in three words, “a cheap date!” Yes, a cheap date even among a fraction of the top 1% of the wealth holders in America. Many of the favorite activities of millionaires are not at all costly. It matters not if you are rich or poor, the best things in life are free or close to it. "

Source:
A Cheap Date

Last edited:
This is what I use - It is a much cheaper version, but I love the flavor and the syrupy consistency... You will probably be able to pick one up at Whole Foods...

https://www.amazon.com/Robbins-Fami...&sr=1-1&keywords=robbins+family+farm+balsamic

Thanks. I'll try to remember.

Anyway, on a hot summer day like this, just being able to take a midday nap while the poor workers are fighting out there commuting on gridlocked freeways makes me feel rich already. Can't believe I had to go to work a few years back, when the temperature hit the all-time record of 122F (50C). In the shade! That's the temperature to cook a rare steak!

Anything else, like fancy booze, meats, or aged balsamic vinegar is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:
For me it's just being able to enjoy the conveniences in life.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom