Indicators of Wealth?

Well - I just slept 9+ hours on a 13 hour flight in a lay flat bed. VERY much worth it to me. I happen to have traveled quite a bit in coach, not sleeping, arriving in Europe between 5-7am, and spending the next week trying to get over the lag. That sure detracted from the fun.

Well, after my last flight to Europe (coach, as always) I did pay the price for the sleeping pill not kicking in. I only dozed a bit during the 8 hr. flight, and arrived in the AM. This was the first time I had been unable to sleep in coach, and it DEFINITELY interfered with my preparation for the tour that started the next day. Ouch. I may need to re-think the choice of coach if I want to fully function the next time I go.......

Thought it would never come to this.........but I am no longer 24, able to prop myself and sleep just about anywhere...

:(:blush:

How much flooring you could buy would depend a lot on the used-dog market where you live. :D:LOL::facepalm:

If it was me, I'd sell the dog, put in the most gorgeous high end hardwood flooring I could find, and be done with it with lots of that $80K left over I'd think.

The Cognac was getting low and the girlfriend will be over tomorrow and I thought I'd get her something nice;

28455704914_3d2a037c54_o.jpg

Only $160 at BevMo and comes with 2 sexy glasses - :)

The Cognac was getting low and the girlfriend will be over tomorrow and I thought I'd get her something nice;

28455704914_3d2a037c54_o.jpg

Only $160 at BevMo and comes with 2 sexy glasses - :)

Interesting throughout this thread how our individual perceptions shape responses. My first thought was "OMFG, $160 for a bottle of Liquor." But, this is a sipper, likely many nights of enjoyment; compares well on the price point to several "reasonable" $30-40 bottles of wine--and a steal compared to d'Yquem ! :angel:

The BevMo I have been in sells cigars to go with that at $8 to $25 per cigar. Did you pick up a couple of those to go with the sipping stuff?

Home Depot carries a lot of it, in different grades. Various "brands." Pay up to the point you get the tile that lays flat on the slab. The cheap stuff does not. The cheap stuff chips as well. You see a lot of this now in model houses, at least in Arizona.

A good flooring contractor will carry higher grades.

This. We just put that wood-look ceramic tile in our main bathroom when we renovated. Contractor told us it is prone to chipping at the edges but it is less of a concern in a bathroom than perhaps in a kitchen.

We did buy it from a really good tile shop instead of a big box store and got better quality that way.

The BevMo I have been in sells cigars to go with that at $8 to $25 per cigar. Did you pick up a couple of those to go with the sipping stuff?

My BevMo does have the cigars and they also have caviar from time to time, but it's not as good as the stuff off the internet. I have a box of Macanudos here too and I like one from time to time. They make the girlfriend cough though.

That Camus is like candy. Very smooth and rich tasting with vanilla overtones.

My BevMo does have the cigars and they also have caviar from time to time, but it's not as good as the stuff off the internet. I have a box of Macanudos here too and I like one from time to time. They make the girlfriend cough though.

That Camus is like candy. Very smooth and rich tasting with vanilla overtones.

I think you should start a blog devoted to all the food, drink and other luxuries you have been consuming since you loosened the purse strings. I'm not being facetious. I might enjoy some of the same things but I would not be able to drop that kind of coin on something I wasn't sure was worth it. If it had the RobbieB stamp of approval, I might be more inclined.

Good idea, I can do that - :)

And it would be useful too, me thinks. I have gone through a lot of "gourmet food" suppliers and have narrowed my sources a lot.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472083255.615160.jpgbuilt myself a mancave in the garage 20 bucks for the adirondack chair and ottoma, 18 for the astroturf

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Good idea, I can do that - :)

And it would be useful too, me thinks. I have gone through a lot of "gourmet food" suppliers and have narrowed my sources a lot.

Another vote here. I occasionally like to splurge on something like that and would definitely appreciate the recommendations (positive or negative).

The last time I bought something I considered extravagant was for some truffles on Amazon, and I was severely disappointed.

Congrats on the man cave! You will get just as much enjoyment from this as some folks that have 30k to 50k in their man caves.

So far so good! I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Another vote here. I occasionally like to splurge on something like that and would definitely appreciate the recommendations (positive or negative).

The last time I bought something I considered extravagant was for some truffles on Amazon, and I was severely disappointed.

They sell black truffles at Wegmans. If you want to be extravagant, go to the truffle festival in Alba, Italy and sample white truffles, the ridiculously expensive kind. BTW black truffles are relatively inexpensive in Alba. This picture is from a store front there, taken last May. Many shops there sold black truffles. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472186651.606582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I just ordered up 6 pounds of American Wagyu Gold Grade on sale for $500. And paid an extra $40 for 2 day shipping.

The "gold steak special", 4 fillets, 4 NY and 4 rib eyes. Cooked fast on the egg with mesquite should be amazing - :)

It's right here. The report will be forthcoming I promise. With pics too - :)

This is the my first order with these guys, so I have no history. They got good reviews and the pics look good, but that's all I know. Only one way to find out - :)

I just ordered up 6 pounds of American Wagyu Gold Grade on sale for $500. And paid an extra $40 for 2 day shipping.

The "gold steak special", 4 fillets, 4 NY and 4 rib eyes. Cooked fast on the egg with mesquite should be amazing - :)

Look forward to the review!

I've only had Wagyu once or twice as appetizer. DW has it more frequently at comped professional dinners, including Tuesday. Her personal verdict is that it is too close in taste to Prime Tenderloin steaks to justify the extra cost--but like with wines, this is a huge YMMV area!

Enjoy--as if that needs to be said :)

Meat arrived yesterday in good shape and frozen solid;

29145090210_a929934890_o.jpg

Nice marble eh?

From L to R, Ribeye, NY, Filet

Interesting throughout this thread how our individual perceptions shape responses. My first thought was "OMFG, $160 for a bottle of Liquor." But, this is a sipper, likely many nights of enjoyment; compares well on the price point to several "reasonable" $30-40 bottles of wine--and a steal compared to d'Yquem ! :angel:

That's exactly how I feel about XO Cognac vs. more expensive bottles of wine. Not just that a bottle of Cognac lasts longer than a bottle of wine, I usually enjoy the difference of the XO over cheaper bottles, but often like a less expensive bottle of wine over something costing more, or cannot tell the difference between them.

About Robbie's new enjoyment, that's a common price range for XO cognac. One can find XO bottles of many brands for that money. The next grade runs more than $1000/bottle, and I have not had one. The sky is the limit on Cognac, and there's a bottle going for as high as $150K.

Yesterday I cooked 3 of the NY's at Kelly's and we ate them -
smile.gif
Yeah, they were really good!

I cranked the gas grill all the way up and waited until the thermometer on the top was pegged. About 3 minutes per side and then I shut the gas off and coasted them on the warming rack for about 8 minutes. I thought they might be a little over done, but they were a nice medium rare.

The flavor was the best I ever ate. They were exactly as advertised, a rich deep beef flavor and so buttery from all the marble. Magnificent! I will order these again -
smile.gif

Robbie, you should try to order some Spanish Jamón ibérico.

I have not had it since our visit to Spain, almost 10 years ago.

Sounds great, looks great. I'm sure it smells and tastes great too. At $80/pound I'd be afraid of screwing it up, and I'm pretty confident of my grilling. Or a power outage while I'm away ruining them. I think I'll probably stick to the under $20/pound filets I get at the local grocer. Still, I've bookmarked their page in case I reconsider.

Back
Top Bottom