Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting notes/to do list/shopping list app
Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting notes/to do list/shopping list app

In putting together apps to let me organize stuff with my iPod touch, I came across reQall.

The best and most interesting part of this free service is that you can call an 800 number and say something like "Buy curry powder tomorrow" and it will transcribe it to text, and add it to your shopping list with a due date of tomorrow. It can also send you an email copy.

You register your phone number, so that when you call the 800 number, it recognizes who you are and adds the note to the proper account.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I'm low on curry powder. Thanks for reminding me. I gotta get one of these gizmos. Memory ain't what it used to be....
Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm. Find my phone - 2 to 10 mins. Look up number & dial, wait for connection - 1 min. Say what I need - 10 secs. And that doesn't count all the times I will forget what I called for & have to repeat it ...

Or

Walk to refrigerator - 30 secs. Write my item on the list with the pencil hanging there - 1 sec.

This why I don't use the list app on my phone.

Sometimes technology works worse than low tech.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Hmmm. Find my phone - 2 to 10 mins. Look up number & dial, wait for connection - 1 min...
By that time I'd have a serious case of phonesia and wouldn't have a clue why I called...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Hmmm. Find my phone - 2 to 10 mins. Look up number & dial, wait for connection - 1 min. Say what I need - 10 secs. And that doesn't count all the times I will forget what I called for & have to repeat it ...

Or

Walk to refrigerator - 30 secs. Write my item on the list with the pencil hanging there - 1 sec.

This why I don't use the list app on my phone.

Sometimes technology works worse than low tech.
And then all you have to do is snap a photo of the fridge list before you leave the house if you really want it on your iPhone instead of keeping track of a slip of paper.

I don't know how I will do this - probably just type into iPad. Calling seems like too much trouble.

Audrey
Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have tried several list/shopping list apps on the iPhone/iPad. They always sound great on paper but, in the end, I always revert back to the old system: write what I need to buy on the kitchen chalk board, take a picture of said board with the iPhone and go shopping.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not just use the notepad application? It automatically generates a dated index from the first line of your note. We keep a running list of movies and books in addition to our grocery list.

Here is what a note looks like
pad2.jpg
and here is what the index looks like (with some things blanked out )
pad1.jpg

Since we have no land line, my iPhone is always with me; maybe not so if I had an iPod Touch instead.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use the "Our Groceries" app on my Blackberry. It's free and very simple. You can share lists with other people if you wish and they can include whole recipes or lists of any kind.

BlackBerry App World - OurGroceries
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'm low on curry powder. Thanks for reminding me. I gotta get one of these gizmos. Memory ain't what it used to be....
Nope...my memory ain't what it used to be either.

What were we talkin' about?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here's a modified version of a shopping list I found on the Microsoft template library site. I keep it on my refrigerator. I highlite items as I run out, then take the whole thing to the store with me.
Now the entire world knows what I eat.
Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: doc GROCERY LIST.doc (44.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
In putting together apps to let me organize stuff with my iPod touch, I came across reQall.
I could see this being handy because you could call and put things on the grocery or to do list "hands free" while driving.

Once upon a time when we lived in another city, I took the time to make a grocery store list on the computer of the things we buy in the order in which they appear when I go row by row in the grocery store. Print out copies to keep on the refrigerator. Then, mark what you need on the list throughout the week and remember to take the list to the store.

It's hands down the fastest way to grocery shop.

Kindest regards,
spncity
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #12

I like using 'ineedstuff' for the iPhone/touch.
You can track items to buy at multiple stores, and you can sync your list with other people.
For some reason I ALWAYS remember something I need after my wonderful wife leaves to go to the grocery store. This solves that with a minimum of fuss.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post

Once upon a time when we lived in another city, I took the time to make a grocery store list on the computer of the things we buy in the order in which they appear when I go row by row in the grocery store.
It reminds me that the "shopping list" app can be trained to remember the order in which you buy things at the store of your choice. After a training period, the items on your shopping list will be organized in the right order based on your store's particular configuration.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
After a training period, the items on your shopping list will be organized in the right order based on your store's particular configuration.
Until they change it.....which they do frequently.

And then there's the other store I sometimes visit in another neighbourhood, which is organized in a mirror image of my usual one.....

Methinks this is too linear for a woman's brain. I need to ramble, hyperlink....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The basic problem with these handhelds is that it really is too slow to enter stuff. Try writing down a phone number or writing down directions. Even if you could get to the right app in time, and you had two hands free, it just doesn't beat having a pencil and paper.

But pushing the speed dial button on your phone, and saying what you want might work in some limited situations.

Quote:
I took the time to make a grocery store list on the computer of the things we buy in the order in which they appear when I go row by row in the grocery store.
Yes, we've done this for at least 12 years, and it is the only way to fly. We've never needed to change the list.

Shopping.jpg
Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Posting*to*this*thread*would*be*too*slow*with*the* keyboard*but*I*am*entering*this*by*talking*into*my *iPod*touch*using*the*microphone*it's*faster*and*m aybe*more*convenient*I*can*enter*anything*up*to*30 *seconds.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have made this post by talking into the iPod using reQall. It takes about 10 minutes for it to send the information, upload the information to their servers and transcribe it, and had to copy it over here, but in the future this might be a good way of getting the data in.

-----------------

Back on the PC: the post with the asterisks was made by doing the copy paste on the ipod. On this one I copied on the PC from the email it sent me. I am impressed with this capability. What it wrote is almost exactly what I said, and it put the commas in the right place, figured out that I said "their" instead of "there," put in the number 10.

Here's the audio file.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I can't seem to fool it:

Based on their information, they're telling me that there are 3 ways to write the word their.

The audio: http://www.box.net/shared/iatulvrrek
Old 05-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why not just use the notepad application?
Because the notes aren't synced to the PC. If it weren't for that I'd use it. I can't enter or access notes on the PC.

I've tried Evernote, but unless you pay a monthly fee, you can't access your notes when offline.

Reqall doesn't work for big notes, because on the PC it only gives you a three line edit window.

Notemaster looks good, but things in it don't show up when doing a global search.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Until they change it.....which they do frequently.
10 years or so ago when all the military commissaries consolidated into one organization, they laid out a nationwide floorplan for all the commissaries to conform to as much as possible.

I don't know if it makes it easier to build shelving or special displays or to take inventory, but it sure makes it easier to have an aisle-by-aisle grocery list.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote