Internet Withdrawal Symptoms

- have a question? Google it or something like that.

I can't stand getting hits for my questions from answers.com or yahoo answers. Too many jerks who think they are funny or think they know something when they do not.

lets-ask-the-internet.gif

That's funny, Sarah! That screen could also show "Want to stop poison ivy itch? Subscribe to my newsletter and I'll tell you how!"

Weirdly although we have the Internet on almost all the time at home, it doesn't bother me to go out of town and not have it available--maybe because I can check e-mail, research directions, etc., etc., on DH's smart phone. Oh, wait, that is like saying one can give up scotch as long as beer is available....

I can't stand getting hits for my questions from answers.com or yahoo answers. Too many jerks who think they are funny or think they know something when they do not.
Sounds a lot like a discussion board!

Well, I do understand I get what I pay for when going to Google :) However, for some basic stuff that you've forgotten (inadvertently or on purpose), it is amazing. Plus, for some arcane things in history or meanings of words or for me here in Germany understanding some cultural things, it is great. And, you can peruse many different aspects of a subject - super left, super right, middle, odd, upside down. I mean what would you do all day otherwise:confused::confused: ;-) Oh right, you could come here, too.....

Over on the bike forum, two members have asked to have themselves banned from the forum, apparently in a bid to break their addiction.

It just occurred to me - this is really why Mubarak shut down the internet in Egypt.

Agreed, I've been thinking of blocking those sites from the searches (assuming there is a way to do that). The answers generally lower my already low opinion of the average person.

wikipedia/wiktionary/wikinews/wikiquotes is pretty much my go-to for everything.

-ERD50

It is not an addiction, simply displacement activity.

I used to spend too much time online, but I've cut back quite a bit. I never sign on when I'm out of town. As a matter of fact, I don't even watch the news while I'm gone. It's very nice as I am blissfully ignorant of all things happening.

If I didn't have friends all over the globe, I would spend even less time online.

I felt similarly when we had an outage with my ISP. I had no Internet access at home for about 3 to 4 days. On the other hand, I do have an iPhone. That makes my life a whole lot easier in that regard…

The Internet in general has become an integral part of my life.

I felt similarly when we had an outage with my ISP. I had no Internet access at home for about 3 to 4 days. On the other hand, I do have an iPhone. That makes my life a whole lot easier in that regard…

The Internet in general has become an integral part of my life.
This is almost worth its own thread. Sometimes our ISP is wonkey (esoteric technical term) and we end up using DW's iphone. It covers our minimum needs which is critical email and a few sites,like our bank, on the browser. Slow but it works. So, to me, it shows what our needs are Vs my wants--a fast connection with youtube, news videos, this site.

While I really do need the internet as part of modern life, I probably don't need to [-]waste[/-] spend so much time on it.

Agreed, I've been thinking of blocking those sites from the searches (assuming there is a way to do that). The answers generally lower my already low opinion of the average person.
-ERD50

OK, I found a site blocker for Google searches - this one is for the Chrome/Chromium browser, but I assume they are available in other flavors:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/mmnbhiajmalgdjlojjamonklladcijim

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom