Intrusive Survey?

Dog

Full time employment: Posting here.
A friend received the American Community Survey in the mail. It appears to be a very indepth (intrusive) survey. Includes questions about job, finances, mortage payments, cars, insurance, income, health, etcetera. She doesn't want to fill it out, but it is mandatory by law. She can face steep fines or jail time if she doesn't complete it truthfully. :confused:

Has anyone else ever received this survey? Did you fill it out? If not - were you ever contacted again?

This appears to be another name for the Census Long Form. The Census Bureau has Constitutional authority to conduct this survey.

Is the American Community Survey legitimate?

I have not received this survey. If I did, I would fill it out.

Amethyst

it is mandatory by law. She can face steep fines or jail time if she doesn't complete it truthfully. :confused:

Has anyone else ever received this survey? Did you fill it out? If not - were you ever contacted again?

Did not get that survey but I did get an online survey popup from this forum (suposedly) that struck me as intrusive. It said the survey was being conducted to improve the web site. First couple of questions had to do with net worth and income. After a couple of those, I opted out.

Free to canoe

So, if a criminal were going to go phishing, what stops them from sending out their own "Community Survey" to ask all the hard questions needed to collect personal and account data. Seems dangerous to just assume that if it says "American Community" that it is the legitimate census survey.

So, if a criminal were going to go phishing, what stops them from sending out their own "Community Survey" to ask all the hard questions needed to collect personal and account data. Seems dangerous to just assume that if it says "American Community" that it is the legitimate census survey.

From the census bureau site that Amethyst posted:

If you have additional concerns about whether the American Community Survey is legitimate, call 1-800-354-7271 for additional confirmation.

I would not hesitate to complete the survey. If you are concerned, call the number above to confirm that the address paid envelope you likely received is genuine.

I wouldn't answer it but, then, I have a problem with authority.

I would answer it but totally lie about everything because I have a problem with honesty.

I don't know what the American Community Survey is but I'd love to see them put me in jail cause I didn't fill it out. Sheeeesh!

Well, this could be very helpful for those living below their means. Don't fill it out and go to jail where you get 3 squares and a roof over you head for free.

All joking aside, I wouldn't fill it out. They would need to prove it was delivered to you and you received it. Unless you signed for it you're off the hook.

As the Census explains, the survey data is to help figure out how to distribute $400B. You can lie if you like but all you do is make the system less effective. The Founders put a Census in the Constitution. Were they riding around in the carraige equivalents of black helicopters?

Now this forum's popup survey - that is a different matter. Popups seem like the least trustworthy method of gathering data.

As the Census explains, the survey data is to help figure out how to distribute $400B. You can lie if you like but all you do is make the system less effective. The Founders put a Census in the Constitution. Were they riding around in the carraige equivalents of black helicopters?

Now this forum's popup survey - that is a different matter. Popups seem like the least trustworthy method of gathering data.
The founders wanted a census to apportion Congress. The idea of using it to distribute $400B would have them spinning in their graves like lathes.

I wouldn't answer it but, then, I have a problem with authority.
Good man.

I would answer it but totally lie about everything because I have a problem with honesty.
Also a good man. If they can't prove that you're lying, then what you say is the truth.

All joking aside, I wouldn't fill it out. They would need to prove it was delivered to you and you received it. Unless you signed for it you're off the hook.
Thanks for the tip.

We never received the regular census form in the mail. I checked online and the suggestion was...don't worry....We'll come by to knock on your door...so we waited....nothing. After awhile I checked with neighbors and none of them received anything either and it dawned on me that our homes were built since the 2000 census and they probably did not have our addresses on file...dumb. I lost a lot of confidence in the whole process.

Back
Top Bottom