Is it normal......?

moneymama

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi!
My husband and I are planning on semi-retiring in about 4.5 yrs. We plan to move to Florida, downsize and find less-demanding jobs (and fish, and go to the beach a lot) :)

My question is.....now that we have this plan, we seem to have an "oh well" attitude at work. For example, our jobs would keep us up at night, we worked late and just thought about our careers non-stop. As soon as we made the true plan of leaving in 4.5 yrs, we aren't stressed and have a whole new attitude (not as stressed) about our current careers.

Can anyone relate? Is this normal?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, perfectly normal transition from "I gotta get this done or we're doomed!" to "Meh. Who cares?"

"normal" covers a broad range! Given that, undoubtedly, yes. :)

It depends on the persons and the job. I think many/most people have that feeling to a certain extent when they reach FI and keep working.

DW and I are in jobs/careers that don't allow us to avoid working early, late, and on weekends. And, yes, we continue to think about them nonstop. BUT, now that we kind-a-sorta have a retirement date set, we both are experiencing some short-timer's syndrome. Her's pops up most often in connection with electronic medical record entry, and mine tends to manifest when things are a little slow at work.

Basically, we are experiencing what you and your DH are going through--but just manifests differently.

And, Congrats both on being in the position, and making the decision/plan!

Haha thanks for the great responses! I'm laughing, because as a high school teacher, teaching seniors (senior-I-tis) is setting in for my students....and I guess in a way......this is my type of senior-I-tis

:)

I'm just happy seeing my stressed out hubby a little more relaxed :)

Tomorrow is my last day. Talk about disconnecting from the old job... :D

Once I decided that I was retiring, the world started to change almost immedicately. Nothing was very important after that.

It is normal, expected and mandatory.

Might was well de-link now and get that stress out.

I'm sorry everyone!! I thought I posted this under "other" not politics -- I guess I really am relaxed lol

Thank you for responding anyway :)

I have been in a few jobs that were stressful, but tried not to let it get to me.... my attitude was 'nobody is going to die'.... kinda put things in perspective...

What did stress me out was when I made a mistake... I would beat myself up more than any of my many many bosses I had over my career....

we aren't stressed and have a whole new attitude (not as stressed) about our
current careers.

That's your partial reward for all of the dedicated work you have done over time. The other part is that you now know (4.5 years in advance) what it's like to not have to w**k at all.

Thanks for your great responses! Anyone here work part-time or just an easier job....an easier job will feel like a vacation for us -- and of course doing anything in Florida will be a vacation for us. We said we would wait until both daughters are in college and we will make the move....4.5 yrs :)

I love teaching but it's been almost 20 years with teenagers in my classroom and I'm getting burnt out :(

I think this is very related to the subject if being FI changes your attitude toward work. I believe the answer to both questions is yes, it does change as you no longer have to worry about office politics, getting promotions, dealing with stress, and other work related things that affect your life.

I joke with people that my Meyers-Briggs is now DGAS (don't give a sh!t). I am still working, plan to stop that in about 1 year.

DGAS - Myers Briggs is perfect!!!! I was an ESFJ -- not anymore lol

A perfectly normal response.

Once I gave notice on retiring at the end of the school year, I concentrated on teaching the students and sluffed off all the politics and manipulative behaviors of others.

Totally normal, I'm not close to FI yet but just knowing that I have FU money makes my care factor 0 re: getting promoted etc, I still get upset about things but I think that's because my care factor 0 is starting to show, I do my work but don't take the office politics seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happened to me. As soon as I made the decision to ER my weekends became my own. I was much more relaxed. However, I left work 6 months later so I didn't have years to contemplate.

As a supervisor I realized I had employees who were retired in place. They were conscientious about their work but they had no ambitions and didn't really care about their performance appraisals. It was a factor in whether I kept them or not. If I needed a worker bee then no problem. But if I needed someone with passion then not so much.

As a supervisor I realized I had employees who were retired in place. They were conscientious about their work but they had no ambitions and didn't really care about their performance appraisals. It was a factor in whether I kept them or not. If I needed a worker bee then no problem. But if I needed someone with passion then not so much.

Not to comment on your company or situation, but many "w*rker bees" w*rked hard, advanced through the salary/wage ranks (not much of a career ladder for most wage slaves...), then became over-paid pariahs, with a not-so-hidden target on their backs. And many of my performance appraisals over the years were dog-and-pony shows, with lots of attaboys, but no compensation... :rant:

Will be happy to leave all that behind...

Last edited:

I read this and frankly, I think its not really about "passion". Every place I've worked its been about hours. Can management get more hours for the same pay out of their employee? Faster, faster, faster! Do more with less!

Back
Top Bottom