Is Jazz Worth It?

"It was Christmas in prison and the food was real good
We had turkey and pistols carved out of wood..."
John prine is a poet, his songs drip with loss and with trying and sometimes succeeding in finding that little space where you are feeling intensely, and it's almost making you cry, but you discover that you like it, you are OK. He can put this into other people's songs too, or probably discover it there. I have to meter my exposure though.

Ha

If you guys really enjoy making music for its own sake, is it worthwhile to just set up in public and play with a hat out? Is busking legal? I'd think there'd be a lot of flexibility and maybe you'd pick up a few bucks. Or maybe folks who pay nothing and stumble onto a great band on the street are a bunch of inconsiderate boobs.

I could get depressed on this thread. Younger son is a music major in college, tried to talk him out of it, told him 'music is a great minor'. Its worse than that, he's a percussion performance major. His off campus gigs are free food only. I mumble about his employment prospects: " You want fries with that?" But he does well, on the Dean's List, happy, not in jail, the GF isn't pregnant. And we are in a city (LA) where people do make a living making music. Who knows, but he was a very good student in math and science in a good school district, so its painful for this NASA dad to see that capacity not used.

I often say "Jazz is a career that you have to save up for."
Luckily that's what I've done.

John prine is a poet, his songs drip with loss and with trying and sometimes succeeding in finding that little space where you are feeling intensely, and it's almost making you cry, but you discover that you like it, you are OK. He can put this into other people's songs too, or probably discover it there. I have to meter my exposure though.

Ha

But he has a humorous side to...

Last time I checked my bankroll, it was lookin' thin
Sometimes it seems like the bottom is the only place I been
Chased a rainbow down a one-way street - dead end
And all my friends turned out to be insurance salesmen

Ah, but fortunately, I have the key to escape reality

And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile...

It is worth it if you enjoy it.

Don't get discouraged if a restaurant changes their format. It could be temporary in this economy... they may need to trim expenses.

Look for another gig. It is part of the experience.

Speaking of Jazz... here is the man!

YouTube - Nicas dream - Wes Montgomery 1965

Of course.... you could switch of to this.... Da BLuz seems to have a resurgence that Jazz has not experienced. It appeals to both young and old...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8M_3JTwtPg&feature=related

Just venting.
I'm truly sorry how your steady gig has shaped up. it's sad. But you're a very bright, talented, resourceful guy with lots of other rewarding activities in your life. You'll do the right thing for yourself, no need for any of us to help you decide...:greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom