Java Update

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I did that Friday because I had heard that Java fixed its update tool and lived to regret it. It took me several scans with RegCure Pro clearing out viruses and bad actors, then finally had it restore my setting to Thursday's.

My browser settings were changed, open a window and it tried to reach for strange websites, advertisements that obscured what I was reading, browser locked up so that I needed to re-boot several times.

My advise is not to touch Java.

That doesn't sound like an actual java update. That sounds like one of the virus/malware installers that pretends to be a java update. These have been running around for the last couple of years. In the past few days I have noticed several online sites linked directly off yahoo's main page that are attempting to download and install one of these.

Oh great! those are the problems I've been having. I thought it was a problem with my Anti-Virus program I just installed. Any cures for this cause nothing has worked so far to fix the problems. Could you speak in little words so I can understand how to fix? Thanks.

The safest route is to reformat and reinstall windows, that is the only way to be sure all infections are gone.

Also change passwords on important sites if you have logged on from the problem computer.

I purchased RegCure Pro several months ago. It is a Microsoft partner. My first go-around I asked it to do the whole magilla(sp) which was really irritating it that it deleted all my log in 'remember me's. This time I asked it to scan for bad nasty's and un-necessary files. They have a tool to restore at an earlier date. Between the two options I am now running fine. I will ask it to scan again tonight. No need to reformat. Luckily I didn't log on to anything sensitive after the problem. Basically it shut me down.

Since this problem started as soon as I installed the anti-virus program I've been using my computer and trying to fix the program. I've been all over different sites, financial and work sites.
While I was waiting for replies here, I remembered Malwarebyte and just ran the free version. Now that I've run their program and restarted my computer it looks like the ads and other pop ups are gone.
Thank you for your replies. I'm hoping that Malware got everything.
I think I also clicked on a Java update but not sure. How would you know it wasn't the "real" Java?

Since this problem started as soon as I installed the anti-virus program I've been using my computer and trying to fix the program. I've been all over different sites, financial and work sites.
While I was waiting for replies here, I remembered Malwarebyte and just ran the free version. Now that I've run their program and restarted my computer it looks like the ads and other pop ups are gone.
Thank you for your replies. I'm hoping that Malware got everything.
I think I also clicked on a Java update but not sure. How would you know it wasn't the "real" Java?

Real java only comes from one of two places, java.com or the Oracle Technology Network (OTN) site. If you are a developer using the OTN site, you already know what you are doing. For everybody else, it's java.com. You just make sure the site you are downloading from has a host domain of www.java.com. For example, www.java.com/en would be a proper starting download location for getting the java runtime environment. The runtime environment is java without all the developer crap that you probably don't need or want. After you verify you are at the java.com site in the URL, you just hit the red button titled, "Free Java Download" and follow the prompts. It will download an installer for the browser you are currently using. Then you run that installer.

Additionally java has an updater that runs in the task bar on windows and maybe other operating systems. I don't use this because as a developer, I needed to keep old versions of java around. So I did everything manually. But, if you are using the updater, it will have a small pop up above the taskbar that says "Java Update Available - A new version of Java is ready to be installed". If you click on this you will get a dialog that identifies the Verified publisher as "Oracle America, Inc.". If the verified publisher is blank or is something else don't allow it to continue, click NO.

The java site that talks about the java auto update stuff is What is Java Update and how do I change the update schedule?

If any website tells you that you are using an old version of java and provides a link to get the update, don't use it. Manually go to java's verify page https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp to find out if you need an update. On this page is an "Agree and Continue" button. It will run a Java application. You may have to give permission to run. It depends on your systems security settings and such. This app will tell you if you are up to date and what, if any, out of date versions you have.

Last edited:
If any website tells you that you are using an old version of java and provides a link to get the update, don't use it. Manually go to java's verify page https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp to find out if you need an update.

This advice should be put on a sticky note and placed on everyone's monitor. Java updates are the most common source of computer problems. And even using the official legitimate source doesn't completely protect you: Oracle does a good job of trapping the unaware into installing the "Ask" toolbar and the subsequent changing of your browser's default settings unless one "opts out."

I use the "paid for" versions of these programs but the "free" version are quite powerful also:

Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software
and
Spybot © â„¢ – Search & Destroy | Safer-Networking Ltd.

I have them set to automatic but if memory is an issue and your computer slows down at inopportune times, they should be run, at least, once a week.

In addition, I use the following on a weekly basis:

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/4506/System%20Utilities/Ashampoo-WinOptimizer-11
and
Advanced Driver Updater - Keep device drivers up-to-date

I do this on all five of our machines and in 30 years have never had unwanted software (virus or whatever) installed without my knowledge. Let me revise that: I have never been infected by a computer virus... knock on wood.

Oh! I almost forgot: I use http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ to make sure I am running the most current version of all my software programs.

Last edited:
HijackThis is also useful. It produces a log file that you can submit for analysis, or just review yourself.

Just this morning a security professional I know told me his outgoing email is being accessed somehow. Based on that, I ran HijackThis, just to get an overview of all the processes in my system. I found two VPN suites I no longer use, so uninstalled and rebooted. Amazing boot-time improvement.

Another thing is run your PC as a limited user, not administrator. Most malware can't install itself then due to the limited permissions. I do this and it's really not been a hassle, at most I get prompted to enter the admin password occasionally.

Thank you for all the links and information. I have some reading to do.
Is it safe to assume that I'm "safe". Since running the Malware all the messages and ads are/seem to be gone.

Back
Top Bottom