John Adams HBO

Notmuchlonger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone watch the HBO special John Adams with Paul Giamatti. I thought it was pretty good. I dont know how historically accurate it was. But nevertheless a nice little mini series.

I've been watching and enjoying it. One of the best books I've read is the book John Adams that came out about 4 years ago. Can't remember the author though.

The author is David McCullough.

I'm about to start reading his book on Truman soon.

Thanks for the book tip! Ill look to get it. I find the founding fathers really interesting.

I will have to try Ellis' book. I just finished Thomas Paine and the Promise of America by Harvey J. Kaye. It was excellent. It paints a picture of Adams as a jealous, somewhat obnoxious guy -- born out by the HBO series. It led me to check out Paine's Common Sense, The Age of Reason, and The Rights of Man -- all pretty fascinating reading. The Age of Reason reads like a Christopher Hitchens tract - it is amazing to see something like that from 200 years ago.

Before I left NY I drove upstate a bit to go to the Thomas Paine Museum. Drove all the way up there and the place was closed. Seems to be in disrepair and closed to the public.

Thomas Edison was a benefactor and I think they have a problem getting funds.

I second the recommendation for Founding Brothers.

Is the John Adam series as great as everybody says?

Netflix saves me a lot of money cause if it didn't exist I'd have to get HBO to watch all their good series. :)

...Netflix saves me a lot of money cause if it didn't exist I'd have to get HBO to watch all their good series. :)

The library saves me a lot of money because if it didn't exist I would have to subscribe to Netfilx to watch the good HBO series.:D

I have been watching it. It is good.

Watching it and learning alot. Worth the effort to watch this particular series of 7.

I have been watching it as well and think it is well done, and I think Laura Linney is fabulous as Abigail and Stephen Dillane great as Jefferson. I look forward to the coming parts.

Just thinking about Adams and Jefferson, they became pen pals later in life with Adams writing most of the letters. One fact I find amazing is that they both died the same day, July 4th, exactly 50 years to they day of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

I wonder if there has ever been a study done on people living to important dates, birthdays, Christmas, 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

John Adams is finally out on DVD and via Netflix.

I've watch the first 4 episodes and have been riveted. I know David McCullough was delighted with the production and I can see why. Other than the fictional sea battle on the way to England, it seems hsitorically very accurate. The acting of Paul Giamatti and Laua Linney is terrific.

Anyone watch the HBO special John Adams with Paul Giamatti. I thought it was pretty good. I dont know how historically accurate it was. But nevertheless a nice little mini series.

Both McCullough's book and the HBO series were based heavily on the letters and diaries of the participants so it was accurate in that it portrays their perceptions of things. Whether those perceptions were accurate is another question.

Grumpy

I just received the copy of the DVD from the library and watched the entire series in 2/3 days. The DVD also had a "making of..." side story which I thought added quite a bit to the details that they went to in order to be as authentic as possible i.e. the tar and feathering episode. I knew vary little about Adams and his family. I now feel that I know quite a bit.

In the "making of..." section McCullough noted that the correspondence between John and Abigail is on microfilm that would stretch 5 miles!

I thought that it was possibly the best thing that I have seen on a "made for TV" production.

I just received the copy of the DVD from the library and watched the entire series in 2/3 days. The DVD also had a "making of..." side story which I thought added quite a bit to the details that they went to in order to be as authentic as possible i.e. the tar and feathering episode. I knew vary little about Adams and his family. I now feel that I know quite a bit.

In the "making of..." section McCullough noted that the correspondence between John and Abigail is on microfilm that would stretch 5 miles!

I thought that it was possibly the best thing that I have seen on a "made for TV" production.

I only watched a little of the making of John Adams, missed that factoid 5 miles wow.

Ok you posters with a mere 15,000 posts you've got your work cut out of for. It is is amazing that John had time to help found the country and be president and Abigail raise a family. They didn't even have spell check back in those days!!:duh:

Back
Top Bottom