Joni Mitchell is in a coma

Marita - reminds me of my first day at high school. I walked past a group of long-haired older rocker-type kids. They called out to me, an obvious new kid. One of them asked what kind of music I was into. Wanting to hedge my bets, in an attempt to maximize my chances of being approved of, I answered, "Oh, you know - all types." "We're into Deep Purple" he said. I didn't know who Deep Purple were, and I thought he had said Steve Purple, so I replied, "Yeah he's good. I like him."

As you can imagine, any hopes I had of being accepted by the "cool" kids were immediately dashed!

I don't live a long way from Joni's home town. While they wish her the best, she won't be getting the 'key to the city' when/if she returns. Too many nasty comments about the place.

Major Tom said:
"We're into Deep Purple" he said. I didn't know who Deep Purple were, and I thought he had said Steve Purple, so I replied, "Yeah he's good. I like him."

Oh by the way, which one is Pink? ;)

Marita - reminds me of my first day at high school. I walked past a group of long-haired older rocker-type kids. They called out to me, an obvious new kid. One of them asked what kind of music I was into. Wanting to hedge my bets, in an attempt to maximize my chances of being approved of, I answered, "Oh, you know - all types." "We're into Deep Purple" he said. I didn't know who Deep Purple were, and I thought he had said Steve Purple, so I replied, "Yeah he's good. I like him."

As you can imagine, any hopes I had of being accepted by the "cool" kids were immediately dashed!

"Oh by the way, which one's pink?" :)

Oops, guess I should have read all the posts HAHAHA. Crazy this post was nearly identical to scrinch. I feel a little teeny bit like the kid on the playground :)

But the killer Joni performance, for me, is the one below. (An interesting comparison to the version linked by easysurfer above.) It exudes the message that she's been through a lot, and is a survivor. Hope she pulls through.

I have to agree this is my favorite rendition of "Both Sides now ".

Just curious, but how old are you? She was a huge presence in the late 60s/70s, along with James Taylor, CSN&Y, Dylan, etc. I'm wondering if most people in Gen X and later ever heard of her.
I am 49 years old. So I turned 18 in late 1983. I have heard of all the other groups mentioned in this thread, and am big fans of some (James Taylor, Paul McCartney).

I am 49 years old. So I turned 18 in late 1983. I have heard of all the other groups mentioned in this thread, and am big fans of some (James Taylor, Paul McCartney).

Thanks for posting the details. I was curious, too, but doesn't seem that unusual now that I think about it. :)

I think the fact that her remakes were done by more current singers probably contributed to your missing her completely. You probably would have missed the Beatles had they not been so famous.

(I have heard of Jerry Vale only because my Mom loved him.)

Here's another Joni Mitchell song that plays in my head quite a bit.

Oh by the way, which one is Pink? ;)

:whistle:

pink.jpg

A buddy of mine just sent me a list of Rolling Stones 50 Greatest Live Albums, and Joni's Miles of Aisles comes in at no. 39. It was a great album, just as she was moving into her jazz phase, and just as I was starting college. It was quite popular in my dorm room.

On a side note, I was at the concert (one of the two days) of the no. 49 album, Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. My brush with fame.

That person wouldn't have been allowed to be on stage with D. P. Mark I, II, III, or IV.

��

But she probably would have with Pink Floyd, which is where the quote came from. I didn't quite get the cross-connect with Deep Purple. I suspect she could have done the wailing part of Great Gig in the Sky quite well.

In homage to Deep Purple, "Machine Head" is still a favorite album.

As for Pink Floyd, the first time I saw them live was the '77 tour, which featured (mostly) "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals". Also featured Roger Waters spitting on an audience member, which some conclude was one of the things that lead to him writing "The Wall".

In homage to Deep Purple, "Machine Head" is still a favorite album.

As for Pink Floyd, the first time I saw them live was the '77 tour, which featured (mostly) "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals". Also featured Roger Waters spitting on an audience member, which some conclude was one of the things that lead to him writing "The Wall".

Not to be derailing my own thread, but I mostly agree about "Machine Head", although I really really like "Made in Japan". Both contain my favorite song by them - "Lazy".

Joni Mitchell was not as popular and her music did not easily fit a specific radio genre. You'll probably recognize her most popular song

Joni Mitchell was not as popular and her music did not easily fit a specific radio genre. You'll probably recognize her most popular song

Interesting. I would have thought Big Yellow Taxi would have been her most popular. But that's a good one too. My favorite is Coyote.

Joni Mitchell's early major song, Both Sides, Now, was recorded by Judy Collins right after it was written by Joni and was hugely popular, so most people associated it with JC for a long time (not that Kramer or many others would know JC's name today either, necessarily). JM was a very creative songwriter imo and I hope her songs continue to make her a very wealthy woman regardless of who recorded them.

Circle Game has always been my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom