Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2015, 06:05 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks walkinwood, RunningBum and audreyh1. Good info. I've had a shell of an account for some time, but never started adding friends. Close Friends and Acquaintances lists look like they will handle my concerns and I will probably try it out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #42

I got FB several months ago to keep track of friends and relatives, but have joined a few groups that match my hobbies. I get the political stuff also, but very seldom read it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You probably know this Rodi, but kids are drifting away from Facebook, and now are on multiple other sites. I was having a few kids show me at school this summer. I couldn't keep up with what they were showing me and certainly cant remember the sites, but it was interesting what they showed me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep - I'm stalking them on instagram, twitter, youtube, twitch, etc...
Older son *does* use facebook because I've had to lecture him about inappropriate language and political rants being something he might regret posting on facebook sometime in the future.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I joined FB about 6 yrs ago while I was still w*rking. I just wanted to see what it was all about. I didn't begin to use in a big way it until I ER'd. I love it and it has been a great way to keep in touch with a lot of people. Both close friends and peripheral acquaintances.

The only surprising posts I encountered when I first started using FB was that there were a couple of people I worked with that I discovered were very religious. Not a problem. They didn't post much on this topic. Otherwise I can say that with about 130 FB friends that nobody posts anything objectionable.

As for trivial posts, think about the trivial stuff that gets talked about face-to-face when you are just conduct small talk. My guess is that if you recorded your daily conversations you would be appalled at what you and others are saying to each other. Just put FB in perspective.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:00 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Really makes me want to give the moderators of this forum a really big LIKE! for what they do to keep everything civil AND interesting!
+1
Old 09-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
Thanks walkinwood, RunningBum and audreyh1. Good info. I've had a shell of an account for some time, but never started adding friends. Close Friends and Acquaintances lists look like they will handle my concerns and I will probably try it out.
Back before Facebook created those lists, I created my own lists, and bookmarked the "closest" list as the page I enter FB at, to ensure I see the updates I most want to see first, then I go to the main feed if I have time. I can also choose to have my posts only seen by that list of people, or any other list. I'm not at my pc right now, but Google FB lists and you can find out how they work.

I even have a list of people who I want to read but who post so frequently that I don't want them cluttering up my "closest" list.

I love FB. I love seeing what trips people are taking, what their kids are up to, and getting back in touch with people I lost track of long ago. I don't have many people who do the religious or political ranting stuff, but those that do, I either just glide past or eventually hide their posts.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but what I do is subscribe to my close family and friends (there's a button on their home page you can click for this). This means I receive a notification when any of them posts something. I've taken to using this feature instead of scrolling my news feed, which I only do if I am really, really bored, as most of the info is not worth my time.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #48

I joined when my daughter went to college back in 2006, didn't use it much as it was still mostly for that age group at that time. Then all us parents started to use it. I have really enjoyed reconnecting with people from high school, college and enjoyed being updated on everyone's life (new babies, trips, etc.)
What I don't like is FB seems to know which shopping sites I frequent. As soon as I go to one, I start getting the ads on FB. Also I don't like or should I say I don't have to know what "a friend" is doing every 4 hours, posting pictures of their breakfast, lunch and dinner and every breath they take. Some seem to use it as a daily dairy. I had to put my daughter's mother-in-law on "no notifications" because she is "one of these".
Old 09-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #49

Joined a few years ago and liked it at first for the same reasons many like it... to catch up with old friends and family. And then it seemed to evolve into some kind of negative force, sucking the life out of me. Decided to deactivate my account and then about a year later just closed it. Much happier now.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm constantly having to make sure "news feed" is set to most recent instead of top stories. Seems like FB sneaks in there and resets it to top stories after a few days.
Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten to do that and yes, I see that FB switched me again to showing "top stories".

I enjoy FB for some things- it's kept me in touch with cousins and other far-flung relatives. I get to see pictures of their new babies, their grandkids, etc. It's been good for reconnecting with HS classmates- I'm finding it easier to get to know people now than it was back in HS and that we have more in common than I expected. Finally, I LOVE posting pictures from my vacations. Only my Friends can see my posts and so far the house hasn't been robbed while we were gone.

Bad stuff- where do I start?

1. I agree on the creepy banner ads that push whatever you were most recently looking for on-line.
2. I've clicked "Like" on only a few sites/posts. If a post is relevant, I'll comment. As for clicking Like on a page, I don't want my friends to get "suggested posts" from paid sponsors with the caption "Athena53 likes Mom's Tattoo Parlor".
3. Oh, the endless "Share this picture of a rose if you have a daughter you love with all your heart", "Don't forget to share this recipe for Cheesy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pie with Whipped Cream and Caramel Topping to your time line", "I bet you can't think of a state with the letter O in its name", etc. I ignore them all.
4. I've hidden all the status updates from people playing Bejeweled Blitz, Farmville, etc. You can request that all status updates related to a particular game be hidden. Very convenient.
5. I try to stay out of arguments but have one HS classmate who's got polar opposite views from mine. Worse, she doesn't argue logically and she misspells and doesn't seem to know when and when not to use an apostrophe. I try to be tactful but I swear, the next time she makes an inane, illogical, emotional post I'm going to donate $1,000 to an organization she considers to be the devil incarnate. I'll tell her, of course.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1
On the culture here on this board vs. FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Same here. We are not named as a real person. Location and age are approximate. No other info is shared. People figure out who we are by context.

We use Facebook to follow local nature and other happenings. Very active local nature groups - it a great way to keep up with the latest.

Some folks went on a pelagic birding trip yesterday. This morning I got to see photos of the whale shark they encountered plus several great deep water birds. Very cool - that's what I like FB for.
Real name, but no DOB, no cell phone, no email.

Also like you, I only got on to follow my interests. Ok, you got me, I had missed getting invited to events I was interested in because they were scheduled on FB (only), so I joined.

I make no attempt to scroll the news feed regularly. I just click the "notifications" (the globe with the red number). And liberally use the "don't show me this cr*p" buttons (except on ads, I just ignore those).
Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I joined FB a few years back only to be able to get news about high school reunions. I did add a few local friends, but after my umpteenth Farmville invitation, I did the "unfollow" thing for the local friends but sent each one a message saying why. Everyone was cool about it. Some I had to "unfriend" because they were relentless with actively sending the various game invitations.

I log onto FB maybe once a month.

Mr B, on the other hand, is an avid FB user. His grown children use FB a lot, so he likes to see their posts. He is quite the character and puts up some pretty funny posts himself.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I was one of the first people not to join Facebook.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Really makes me want to give the moderators of this forum a really big LIKE! for what they do to keep everything civil AND interesting!
+1

Old 09-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

You can block those game invitations without unfollowing the friend. I don't remember exactly how, but when you go to hide on of those posts I think it gives you the option to block everything from that app/game.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
If you are using FireFox I recommend an add on called Facebook Purity. It allows you to filter out all the ads and crap you don't want to see as well as set the default to "see everything" instead of top posts.
I installed it. Nice functionality. I hope it's not doing any evil.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #57
Administrator

When I first joined Facebook years ago, like many I discovered "The Dark Side of Facebook" (in other words, the problems being discussed in this thread). It was very distressing to me, so in short order I instituted a massive unfriending binge and decided to just use Facebook to keep up with my daughter, period. After purging my other Facebook friends, I tightened up security to the max. I have a long list of friends requests that I ignore. Problem solved.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #58

Of my 100 or so FB friends, there are 2 or 3 who don't have enough common sense to avoid posting/sharing/liking extremist political/religious/personal rants. Comes with the territory. I just sorta smirk and move along. As someone else suggested, you have to put FB in perspective. It's really just a microcosm of all the people (and their attitudes) that you've interacted with face-to-face all your life. If it gets too negative with a particular person, I just unfollow them. Same as real life. No biggie. IMO, the positives of Facebook far outweigh the little annoyances. I love keeping up with extended family and old HS/college friends that otherwise would be distant fading memories.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Back before Facebook created those lists, I created my own lists, and bookmarked the "closest" list as the page I enter FB at, to ensure I see the updates I most want to see first, then I go to the main feed if I have time. I can also choose to have my posts only seen by that list of people, or any other list. I'm not at my pc right now, but Google FB lists and you can find out how they work.

I even have a list of people who I want to read but who post so frequently that I don't want them cluttering up my "closest" list.

I love FB. I love seeing what trips people are taking, what their kids are up to, and getting back in touch with people I lost track of long ago. I don't have many people who do the religious or political ranting stuff, but those that do, I either just glide past or eventually hide their posts.
Thanks for the clue to FB Lists, just created them, and they do clean things up a bit.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=marko;1629679] I know people who post 20-30 times a day: "met with Jim", "walking to the donut shop now", "got to bed at 11PM", "leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks" (come and rob me!)
Really?

+1

DW has a friend that posted on FB a closeup photo of a rash she had on her leg. Same friend posted a photo of her father asleep in his hospital bed (w/o his knowledge or prior approval). More posts of her other various physical ailments (trust me, this is TMI sort of stuff) along with relationship drama.