Krav maga?

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I am not looking for a fight. I would be most pleased to be left alone to do my job. My worry is that his will not be the case and I don't really have a plan B if I cannot get away.

One of the locations where I will be travelling a lot in the next couple of months ahs a krav maga studio/dojo/whatever. I will probably call them and see if they will put up with a now and again student.

The po-po here at work are actually excellent and very effective (and the building is a heavily armored fortress). The problem is that the heavy security ends at the front door.

How about hornet spray, or dog/bear spray?

I am considering it. But my employer may not allow it. Heck, some of the anti-bear sprays they sell locally look like fire extinguishers.

F.'s employer did random searches on employees' vehicles, and a firearm found in one's car was grounds for dismissal. He worked swing shift and had to drive through some [-]pretty[/-] ghastly rough, deserted areas late at night on the way home. So, I worried. To cope with this situation he carried a large (2 feet long?) very heavy flashlight under his seat for self defense. While that isn't enough you might want to throw one under your car seat until you have other self defense measurements in place. At least it would be something. Also, once he got in his car to drive home he didn't stop driving until he got out of the area. No stop sign or flat tire would have slowed him down.

I commute by train, so this won't work. Good idea, though.

Any restrictions on pocket knives? There are some pretty nice clip-on folders available. I carry one of those everywhere I go. A lot of others here do the same, so its an accepted practice. It may not be where you are.

Any restrictions on pocket knives? There are some pretty nice clip-on folders available. I carry one of those everywhere I go. A lot of others here do the same, so its an accepted practice. It may not be where you are.

Completely prohibited. I might get away with a roll of quarters, but that is about it.

Some boxing lessons and a roll of quarters would be effective!

I am NOT an expert at self-defense, by any stretch...

You do not want to box or wrestle an attacker. YMMV, and those with actual experience in being attacked, versus MMA training, may have a different view, but the object is to disable the attack(er), then get the hell out. Gouge out their eyes, fracture their larynx, rip off their boys...

If you pull a knife or gun, you'd better use it immediately, or it'll be taken away from you, and used ON you.

TV and movies heroes aside, a couple of karate chops can not be counted on to stop an attack. I've seen guys take a pool cue or beer bottle up side the head, and keep right on going.

Last edited:
I've seen guys take a pool cue or beer bottle up side the head, and keep right on going.

You must lead a far more interesting life than I do.

My instructors mirrored what HFWR says. You just need to disable them and hurting someone who is not accustomed to sudden pain in the face or groin will usually take the fight out of them long enough for you to get away.

You just need to disable them and hurting someone who is not accustomed to sudden pain in the face or groin will usually take the fight out of them long enough for you to get away.

So, all wives have received instruction in Krav Maga? It is all starting to make sense......:facepalm::LOL:

With some [-]waterboarding[/-] psychological warfare thrown in for good measure...

I thought that was one of those secret oriental kung fu techniques where you disable without touching. It does hurt nonetheless:D

I am considering it. But my employer may not allow it. Heck, some of the anti-bear sprays they sell locally look like fire extinguishers.
Which suggests an idea: Scan the label from a fire extinguisher, make a nice color copy at Kinkos, affix to anti-bear mace bottle. Surely no employer prohibits their employees from carrying a fire extinguisher under the seat?

For the train--Lots of people carry aerosols in their briefcase, a relabelling might work there, too. To the mugger: "How about a nice Binaca blast?"

The transit authorities might frown on this, however.

You do not want to box or wrestle an attacker. YMMV, and those with actual experience in being attacked, versus MMA training, may have a different view, but the object is to disable the attack(er), then get the hell out. Gouge out their eyes, fracture their larynx, rip off their boys...
My preference would be to not be present when the bad stuff goes down, but I'll take a swift retreat over duking it out with somebody every time.

Anybody who has been in a fight since high school knows that if you want to win you need to bring your A game. You need to be in good physical condition, have the right mental attitude, some experience/training, and a little help doesn't hurt. In the real world, when survival is the goal rather than winning, if you can't avoid the fight in the first place, go past/through/over your attacker and run away.
If you pull a knife or gun, you'd better use it immediately, or it'll be taken away from you, and used ON you.
Or as I heard it said once, "If you pull your pistol without the intent to use it, you best carry one made out of chocolate, because somebody is going to make you eat it."
TV and movies heroes aside, a couple of karate chops can not be counted on to stop an attack. I've seen guys take a pool cue or beer bottle up side the head, and keep right on going.
There are guys who've been shot a couple of times who keep fighting, running and gunning.

You must lead a far more interesting life than I do.
You just don't go to the right kind of bars!

In the real world, when survival is the goal rather than winning, if you can't avoid the fight in the first place, go past/through/over your attacker and run away.

I don't know if this would work for guys, but screaming at about a billion decibels or louder seems to be extremely helpful for women when attacked by a stranger.

Don't ask me how I know. :LOL: You may have noticed that I am alive, though. Anyway, I know for a fact that it can be very effective when completely overpowered, and might be worth trying as a last resort when every other tactic has failed.

I don't know if this would work for guys, but screaming at about a billion decibels or louder seems to be extremely helpful for women when attacked by a stranger.

Don't ask me how I know. :LOL: You may have noticed that I am alive, though. Anyway, I know for a fact that it can be very effective when completely overpowered, and might be worth trying as a last resort when every other tactic has failed.

I suspect the men of ER are much too macho for that and would rather take a beating:LOL:

I called the place in the location I will be travelling and talked to the instructor. Seemed like a reasonable person and he made it clear they separate out the MMA wannabes from the regular Joes and law enforcement types who just want to learn what to do to get away. He suggested a cup and mouth protector, so this is clearly a contact sport.

You just don't go to the right kind of bars!

And neither do I, anymore... :LOL:

Better than being driven away, in your own car, to an abandoned country road...

Better than being driven away, in your own car, to an abandoned country road...

I couldn't agree more... :) Much to my amazement, it seems to work like magic even if nobody else hears/responds to the scream.

And yes, DFW_M5, you're probably right that the "Men of ER" (I am envisioning a beefcake calendar) probably would be too macho to scream. On the other hand, when in a life-or-death battle, in desperation people will sometimes do something a little out of character to survive.

I am considering it. But my employer may not allow it.

Sorry, but that's just too bizarre for me to even contemplate.
Unless you have been SPECIFICALLY forbidden to do something, you need to do whatever you think is appropriate.

Sorry, but that's just too bizarre for me to even contemplate.
Unless you have been SPECIFICALLY forbidden to do something, you need to do whatever you think is appropriate.

I am specifically forbidden from bringing anything even resembling a weapon onto the premises.

Back
Top Bottom