Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
...some woman acquaintance got me to join...
Is that still happening at your age?

I can't tell you how many times I've been able to say the same thing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think that this is a symptom of how self-absorbed we have become.
Self-absorbed...possibly. Or, it could be we hope someone cares and that thought might make our day a little brighter.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Is that still happening at your age?

I can't tell you how many times I've been able to say the same thing.
I lack the courage to list the things I've been conned into by the fairer sex.

heh heh heh -
Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Well... this brings me a little closer to understanding.

The Internet has created a generation of great writers

Quote:
I remember the first time in my life I heard about people who can’t write anymore. It was my grandma telling me to read A Little Princess, instead of Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret.
Quote:
Finally, for those of you who think students don’t know how to write in full sentences, you are the people who probably don’t understand how to use text as a persuasive medium.
Quote:
that is, the most persuasive text—does not have abbreviations or emoticons, the evidence most cited of a crisis in modern writing skills. Which means that students probably know intuitively to use texting slang only when texting.
The Comments are particularly insightful.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Self-absorbed...possibly. Or, it could be we hope someone cares and that thought might make our day a little brighter.
Ok...I just re-tied the leather laces on my moccasins.

Who cares?

Form a straight line, no pushing now...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I care! What great news...! I can rest easy now knowing you won't trip on your laces.....
Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I read an article about 15 years ago talking about the future glut of hard drives with people's personal stuff on them, pictures, journals, documents, spreadsheets, etc. The author was pointing out that in the (pre-computer) past the people left after somebody dies had to wade through boxes of stuff, but that it was at least limited.
Amen. One of my brothers and I just recently completed such a multi-generational archive dive. Now the photo albums and whatnot are in the hands of a nephew who's digitizing everything. So we're working on multiplying the storage after the fact.

Quote:
With the advent of electronic storage it multiplied by hundreds of times, and eventually there would be boxes full of family hard drives. So now, with practically unlimited space on the social networks it's going to be even worse. I suspect that within 10 years you won't be able to walk along the information super-highway because of all the litter.
Heh. The good news is that between bulk degaussers and metal shredders, it's easier to get rid of that unwanted electronic data securely. I don't plan on ever leaving anything important on any social network. (Oops! Did I just slam my pearls of wisdom? )
Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think that this is a symptom of how self-absorbed we have become.
I think people have always been like that. Dale Carnegie talks about it in How to Win Friends and Influence People, published in 1936. A person's favorite topic is his or herself.

An excerpt:

Carnegie.jpg
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I or one just recently started a blog... more for myself to get my stuff together and to have an easily accessible place for my plans, lists, etc... I am using this board and others to bring together what I hop is my paln for retirement and the time thereafter... boring?? probably, but it servers a purpose for me and a few of my better friends that will offer me constructive advise...

After all I still have a lot of Mondays left...