Light mayonnaise?

OK, just cracked open the Dukes regular, and it is more tasty than the Kraft mayo light I had been using. I don't know if it's that big of a difference to me, since I don't put much on a sandwich, but if I had a recipe that called for a decent amount (unlikely the way I cook and eat) I could see it making a big difference. I'll see how it goes as I work through the jar, but my initial impression is good.

I make my own mayo using olive oil. Its very easy to do with a blender. Its nothing like mayo in a jar; the taste is wonderful!

Went on Duke's Mayonnaise website today and do you know they do not sell it west of the Rockies:confused:?
Anyway, soon it will be available directly from Duke's on amazon.com. Guess I wait for that.:whistle: Or you can order it directly from Duke's it seems running $15 for 2 of the big ones I usually buy. Guess I'll do that since you guys rave about it so, and I do loves me mayonnaise.

Correction: Duke's also offers for $5 more 4 32 oz. jars for $20--no other costs charged. I cannot wait for mine to come since everyone raves about it so.

I make my own mayo using olive oil. Its very easy to do with a blender. Its nothing like mayo in a jar; the taste is wonderful!

I do it this way too, but use canola/xvirgin olive oil mix. Very cheap and best taste ever! I had trouble eating jar mayo, Hellmans, Kraft, Miracle Whip,etc...just a lot of bland tasting fat to me. Was never able to finish a 32 oz jar in our family of 5 kids growing up. Now, I just make a small batch when needed, only 1 egg, vary it all the time using lemon and garlic (aioli), dill, cayenne pepper, etc, variations can be endless using your own creativity. For what people pay for the jar kind, you can buy a small handheld cup blender (< $10) and get great tasting homemade mayo!

When I am thru with all the projects going on here right now, I'm going to try that making mayo stuff. My son finished culinary school before he finished the University, and says the same things about homemade mayo that you fellows do. Gotta try that...

. Now, I just make a small batch when needed, only 1 egg, vary it all the time using lemon and garlic (aioli), dill, cayenne pepper, etc, variations can be endless using your own creativity.

Would that be a raw egg?

Gio, how long does your homemade mayo keep in the fridge?

Good ole regular Hellman's Mayo for me. I've tried some of the generic brands and some are OK, but most suck.

I have used Plain low fat yogurt mixed with some apple cider vinegar. Doesn't taste bad at all. And if you want more of the actual mayo taste to it, add some regular mayo, and you will have your own homemade reduced fat mayo.

Would that be a raw egg?

Yes.

The shelf life of homemade mayo would be 1-2 days, I used it at 3 days and never got sick. For a 1 egg amount, not worth the hassle and it's a small amount anyway.

On a side note, I went to a small political gathering of around 20 people last night. They used a culinary student for the catering (food was very good) and she stated everything was from scratch. My wife asked if she made the mayo too, she said No! Then she related the story how the teachers would force them to make it with a hand whisk. I'd agree, it's a lot of forearm effort, I prefer a small handheld blender.

Yes.

The shelf life of homemade mayo would be 1-2 days, I used it at 3 days and never got sick.

When we were discussing the egg recall, I came across this:

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-salmonella-data-action-51734.html#post970125

The fate of Salmonella enteritidis PT4 in home-made mayonnaise prepared with citric acid solution (citric acid concentration of > or = 4.98% (w/v)) was investigated. ... For the use of 20-35 ml pure lemon juice per egg yolk, the product should be held at 22 degrees C or over for at least 72 h and for the use of over 35 ml pure lemon juice per egg yolk, for at least 48 h before consumption or refrigeration.

So they are recommending that you actually keep it for three days at room temperature ((22C ~ 72F) BEFORE you use it! I guess that gives time for the acid to kill stuff. Just the opposite of what we all 'know'.

-ERD50

When we were discussing the egg recall, I came across this:

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-salmonella-data-action-51734.html#post970125

So they are recommending that you actually keep it for three days at room temperature ((22C ~ 72F) BEFORE you use it! I guess that gives time for the acid to kill stuff. Just the opposite of what we all 'know'.

-ERD50

Actually, I'm not sure it really is the opposite of what we 'know'. It's probably the perception of what we think we know...isn't this how we buy store bought mayo? Room temp for way more than 3 days. That's why there's a preference to homemade, the flavor gets lost in all the commercial treatments applied to it!

Coincidently, Mark Bittman has an article, with recipe, in the NYTimes Dining section today on homemade Mayo:

Food-Processor Mayonnaise

He includes a couple dozen variations so it is worth the look.

I just got my shipment of Duke's mayonnaise full fat, baby, from Dukes Corp. from the net. Delicious...you Duke's lovers are right. It is the best.:flowers:

Thanks to this thread, I made a cup of aioli with a stick blender earlier this week. Took about 30 seconds once I had the yolk separated and the lemon juiced. We ate it on BLTs and last night I slathered it on chicken breasts and covered them in panko for a quick bake and broil. Really, really good.

Back
Top Bottom