Join Early Retirement Today
Loft Design Ideas?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Loft Design Ideas?

So to make a long story short, the too-cool-to-be-conventional yours truly decided to get an industrial loft instead of an ordinary condo. Yes, it's got the high ceiling and exposed brick walls, but now I find myself having to decide how to store my clothes. I don't want to spend good money on "heritage" furniture because the last time I did, I ended up dragging the furniture from CA back East over a 10-year period. But I don't want to get IKEA furniture either because for the quality that I get, the price isn't low, and I will probably end up dragging them somewhere as well.

I have looked at some loft design ideas that use curtains to provide some division between rooms, so I'm thinking I should just get some garment racks like these Bed Bath & Beyond - Storage Closet Garment Storage and hang some curtains around the racks. That still leaves the question of how to store clothes that can't be hung.

BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
You may want to consider plastic bins under your bed.

There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I've had good luck with craigslist and some new paint. The thing about cheap furniture that I hate is not the fact it's made out of particle board instead of wood or whatever, it's the workmanship. Drawers stop opening right, they come apart at the corner, the cheap laminate surface chips up on the edges (o.k. I guess material is important). I find absolutely battered but well built all wood furniture on craigslist. I then paint to match decor and they look great. Sure, up close you can see some indentations but if done right, it only adds to the charm.
laurence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
I bought a beautiful chest of drawers, discontinued floor model, 75% off at Macy's, total was about $999. I don't think any one pays full price there, furniture is always on sale.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Salvation Army and your favorite color of enamal paint along with some nifty knobs. Voila not only clothing storage but area divider, dry bar, art display etc...
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
buns, where'd you buy? tampa? on the shady side of the building? what's it gonna cost to a/c those high ceilings? just curious. whatever, enjoy. as to furnishings, i'd live out of boxes for now and wait for the sidewalk sales coming soon to a neighborhood near us all. i'd look for industrial cabinets or contrast the industrial and blend into the brick with early depression distressed.

library ladder

kitchen utensil storage

sock drawers

science lab kitchen cabinets

"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
What about something like that:

Bedroom Closet Organizer - Clothing Storage - Closet Clothes Storage - Closet Shelves

Those closet organizers can be hanged from a closet rod (like the one pictured in the OP) and provide nooks to store clothes that cannot be hanged (you can also use baskets or bins in each nook to store socks, underwear, etc). Since they are made of fabric, you fold them when you move, they take no place at all. And they are super cheap.

Here is a larger one:
42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Thanks for all the responses. To an artistically-challenged person like me, your advice has been great! I have seen great designs that use all kinds of furnishing that you wouldn't believe can be used in a living space, like the industrial-looking stuff suggested by LG4NB, but somehow the stuff ended up looking quite nice when put all together.

Joe, Connie, Firedreamer, and bbami, your suggestions are great as well. I want something that look nice but don't cost an arm and a leg because while the good furniture I had looked nice, every time I moved (knock on wood hopefully not any time soon again), the furniture got damaged until heritage became Salvation Army. I think I sold most of the furniture for 20% of their original cost.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My decor can only be described as "late American yardsale"...
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
I used to prefer the early basement, late attic decor. Then DW came along.

There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote