Loft Design Ideas?

BunsGettingFirm

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So to make a long story short, the too-cool-to-be-conventional yours truly decided to get an industrial loft instead of an ordinary condo. Yes, it's got the high ceiling and exposed brick walls, but now I find myself having to decide how to store my clothes. I don't want to spend good money on "heritage" furniture because the last time I did, I ended up dragging the furniture from CA back East over a 10-year period. But I don't want to get IKEA furniture either because for the quality that I get, the price isn't low, and I will probably end up dragging them somewhere as well.

I have looked at some loft design ideas that use curtains to provide some division between rooms, so I'm thinking I should just get some garment racks like these Bed Bath & Beyond - Storage Closet Garment Storage and hang some curtains around the racks. That still leaves the question of how to store clothes that can't be hung.

I've had good luck with craigslist and some new paint. The thing about cheap furniture that I hate is not the fact it's made out of particle board instead of wood or whatever, it's the workmanship. Drawers stop opening right, they come apart at the corner, the cheap laminate surface chips up on the edges (o.k. I guess material is important). I find absolutely battered but well built all wood furniture on craigslist. I then paint to match decor and they look great. Sure, up close you can see some indentations but if done right, it only adds to the charm.

I bought a beautiful chest of drawers, discontinued floor model, 75% off at Macy's, total was about $999. I don't think any one pays full price there, furniture is always on sale.

Salvation Army and your favorite color of enamal paint along with some nifty knobs. Voila not only clothing storage but area divider, dry bar, art display etc...

buns, where'd you buy? tampa? on the shady side of the building? what's it gonna cost to a/c those high ceilings? just curious. whatever, enjoy. as to furnishings, i'd live out of boxes for now and wait for the sidewalk sales coming soon to a neighborhood near us all. i'd look for industrial cabinets or contrast the industrial and blend into the brick with early depression distressed.

dresser
flammable.jpg

library ladder

kitchen utensil storage

sock drawers

desk

science lab kitchen cabinets

armoire

What about something like that:

Bedroom Closet Organizer - Clothing Storage - Closet Clothes Storage - Closet Shelves

Those closet organizers can be hanged from a closet rod (like the one pictured in the OP) and provide nooks to store clothes that cannot be hanged (you can also use baskets or bins in each nook to store socks, underwear, etc). Since they are made of fabric, you fold them when you move, they take no place at all. And they are super cheap.

Here is a larger one:

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/6-sh...rganizer-hangs-over-the-closet-rod/112/11345/

Thanks for all the responses. To an artistically-challenged person like me, your advice has been great! I have seen great designs that use all kinds of furnishing that you wouldn't believe can be used in a living space, like the industrial-looking stuff suggested by LG4NB, but somehow the stuff ended up looking quite nice when put all together.

Joe, Connie, Firedreamer, and bbami, your suggestions are great as well. I want something that look nice but don't cost an arm and a leg because while the good furniture I had looked nice, every time I moved (knock on wood hopefully not any time soon again), the furniture got damaged until heritage became Salvation Army. I think I sold most of the furniture for 20% of their original cost.

I used to prefer the early basement, late attic decor. Then DW came along.

Back
Top Bottom