Mac Mini thoughts

Thank you for this topic and for all the comments.

Is there any advantage to getting the server Mac mini? I could connect an old 2007 MacBook (not pro) and an older iMac to it ... ?

Would this work and how much learning curve would there be?

I was thinking that way it would be like having a new computer for two instead of one. Or am I off here?

Sent from my iPhone

Server config comes with two disks and some admin software to run your own web server, VPN, mail, etc.

You can set up a mail server to store say your media files and other computers can connect to it. But unless you attach a lot of storage to it, there's no advantage in storing the media on the server computer and having other computers access it over the network, unless your other computers are old, have little storage, etc.

Well, yes, that was what I imagined... hooking up older apple computers that really don't have enough speed, memory, or storage on their own to be of much use any more.

But getting into servers is probably above my pay grade. Imagining can be a lot different than reality.

Thanks for comments.

I just ordered one to replace a circa 2004 Mac Mini the father-in-law uses as his way to get mail, web, and general internet access. The old machine, with latest available software and patches, just doesn't handle modern web sites very well, and some apps he relies on like Skype are no longer supported (or working!) on that machine.

What are you using 16 GB of RAM for mostly if not graphics - if I may ask.

Not TOO much usually. But I upgraded when RAM was a lot cheaper than it is now. But I do run virtualization software (VMWare Fusion) on a Boot Camp partition so when I have Windows loaded and running in a VM, I give it 3 dedicated cores and 6 GB of RAM, leaving 5 cores and 10 GB for Mac OS. Other than that, I could probably make do with 8 GB.

Back
Top Bottom