Man's best friend

Since we got involved in rescue work & take old dogs that no one wants we have went through this a few times in the past 9 years. We have 4 dogs now that all range in age from 10-18 & this has been heavy on my heart. I am so sorry for what you are going through but so happy that you rescued such a sweet boy. Adopt another in his memory when the time is right. That will be different for everyone. If you read Katz's book have plenty of kleenex handy. We also do the last best day for our dogs which always includes steak.

I do love Katz's books, but to me the quintessential book about the magical love between dogs and people is Merle's Door, by Ted Kerasote. Highly recommended--mostly because I'm sure every one of my dogs would have gladly swapped places with Merle, leaving me and my rules in the dust!

My best buddy Cruiser is now at rest. He had a rough weekend and was telling us it was time. I miss him so much already, but I'm glad he is no longer feeling pain. Rest in Peace my friend.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1453199904.905970.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm so sorry. My dogs are only 8 years old, but I dread the day I'll be without them.

I have two pug pups pushing 13 and 14, and so I am steeling myself for what you've just faced. My thoughts are with you.

Cruiser is in a Doggie Heaven chock full of bones and fire hydrants.

I am so very sorry for your loss, Dash man

Very sorry for your loss. I've felt the pain many times.

Very sorry, it's so hard to say goodbye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'm so sorry to read of Cruiser's passing, Dashman. It is terribly hard to lose a best buddy, whether a human or pet buddy. Take care of yourself and take the time to grieve.

Sorry to hear about your pup. It sounds like Cruiser had a great life. My lab is now 13 so his time is getting short as well - dogs just don't live long enough.

Sorry for your loss. Know how difficult it can be as we have gone through it many times. Having said that, it never gets easier. All I can say is focus on the good times and memories.............

Sorry for your loss. Know how difficult it can be as we have gone through it many times. Having said that, it never gets easier. All I can say is focus on the good times and memories.............

+1.. Take care, Dashman.

My best buddy Cruiser is now at rest. He had a rough weekend and was telling us it was time. I miss him so much already, but I'm glad he is no longer feeling pain. Rest in Peace my friend.
View attachment 23023

So sorry for your loss. I have 3 of those black-white-tan Canine Americans and have had many before these 3. It's always so hard and so sad when they go.

sorry for your loss... a rescue puppy could go along way to helping you heal..and they sure appreciate being saved!

Attachments

• 1006085_10152335129765709_2359619978085486093_n.jpg
    1006085_10152335129765709_2359619978085486093_n.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 12
My condolences

Dash man,

My condolences on your loss. Cruiser was clearly a beloved member of your family for many years. The only thing that gets me through the goodbyes each time is knowing that I have given my furry family member the gift of a peaceful end to the journey, and you certainly did that for Cruiser. I repeat that over and over through the tears, and eventually the tears are replaced with memories of all the good times. Let yourself grieve and remember. :(

Thank you for all the kind comments.

So sorry for your loss!

My puppy will be 16 in April and I am dreading the day when I'll need to make this difficult decision 😢

Sorry for your loss Dash man. We had to bring our Airedale in 2.5 years ago and I don't ever want to go thru that again. My wife was praying he would go peacefully in his sleep at home. It still seems like yesterday.

I am so sorry for your loss, Dash Man. It is hard to go through this. Take care.

I am so sorry to read this. I think it's SO unfair that we get so damn attached to these "animals" knowing that we will most likely outlive them. I know the joy of having them around for a relatively short time makes it "worth it", but it's still one of the suckiest things in life. We don't have kids, so our animals ARE our kids and losing them is one of the worst things. Ugh. I think I need to get off this computer and spend some quality time for our brood.

Oh, and there is this. It's one of the most touching videos on YouTube, but you might want to watch it in private. For whatever reason, it seems to stir up a lot of dust that can really make the eyes water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom