Meaning of shoes over utility lines

prof12

Recycles dryer sheets
We live in a relatively nice neighborhood that has one sore spot. When we first bought our home, the people next to us were wonderful neighbors. They both passed on in the same year and their ne'r-do-well son inherited the house--free and clear. Since then, it has become a haven for unsavory characters, a sort of flop house if you will. They keep dogs--loud barking dogs like pit bulls and rotweilers chained outside in the back yard. We no longer can enjoy being outside because of the noise.
But recently a neighbor noticed a pair of shoes tied together and thrown over a utility line at the corner of the street. Later, a second pair appeared. He asked his BIL, a former policeman, who said that was the universal signal for where to buy drugs.

I'm sort of shocked, but more angry and feeling helpless. So I'm asking members of this forum: Are these shoes a symbol for where to buy drugs?
Thanks. Prof12

I have seen shoes tossed over power lines, but never knew there was any meaning to it. If it means what you've been told then you have my sympathy because it may be difficult to eradicate the problem.

From my observations while travelling the Northeast US I would take a serious look around. You'll see the signs if it's drug or other illicit activity.

I never knew what it meant but I always was certain it was just a dopey kid thing and with the internet it now can be picked up by everyone. I was no different and did dopey things so I can see this just being that and nothing more.

Sounds like your new neighbors are the neighbors from Hell. Sorry to hear this, neighbors have such a huge impact on our mental health and property values. It's a shame people are put into a position of having to sell and move to escape a$$holes uncertain whether they just traded one jerk for another and worse yet one that is even more obnoxious. :confused:

Wikipedia has an extensive explanation which includes this snippet....

"Some also say that shoes hanging from the wires advertise a local crack house where crack cocaine is used and sold[2] (in which case the shoes are sometimes referred to as "Crack Tennies").[citation needed] It can also relate to a place where heroin is sold to symbolize the fact that once you take heroin, you can never "leave": a reference to the addictive nature of the drug. Others claim that the shoes so thrown commemorate a gang-related murder, or the death of a gang member, or as a way of marking gang turf.[3] A newsletter from the mayor of Los Angeles, California cites fears of many Los Angeles residents that "these shoes indicate sites at which drugs are sold or worse yet, gang turf", and that city and utility employees had launched a program to remove the shoes."

While doing charity work, I've been in some unsavory parts [e.g. ghetto] of a major metro city, and have seen a fair number of these sneakers hanging from wires.

YMMV

omni

We live in a relatively nice neighborhood that has one sore spot. When we first bought our home, the people next to us were wonderful neighbors. They both passed on in the same year and their ne'r-do-well son inherited the house--free and clear. Since then, it has become a haven for unsavory characters, a sort of flop house if you will. They keep dogs--loud barking dogs like pit bulls and rotweilers chained outside in the back yard. We no longer can enjoy being outside because of the noise.
But recently a neighbor noticed a pair of shoes tied together and thrown over a utility line at the corner of the street. Later, a second pair appeared. He asked his BIL, a former policeman, who said that was the universal signal for where to buy drugs.

I'm sort of shocked, but more angry and feeling helpless. So I'm asking members of this forum: Are these shoes a symbol for where to buy drugs?
Thanks. Prof12

Yes.

So, throw a pair of shoes over the wire...isn't that putting a "drugs for sale" sign out for the cops? Wonder if it's PF Flyers for the cheap stuff and designer Nike's for the high priced goodies?

I think powerplay has it right: it may be difficult to eradicate the problem.
Most of the neighbors have chosen to turn a blind eye even though the dogs bark constantly and these people have a lawn that looks like a hay field. Always lots of cars around,too. But they never sell out in public and the cops never seem to catch them, although the have come by several times. So I suspect they are on the police's radar.
Prof12

My mother lives in a decent, blue collar neighborhood. At one time she had a couple of pairs of shoes over the line. I duck taped two 10' pieces of wooden molding together and used it to remove them. None came back. I wouldn't panic over this thing unless you have other evidence. It could be just a kid thing.

Yes, this is a marker of drug availability. Is there a neighborhood watch group in your area? If so, call them and join up, or volunteer to lead one.

Pitbulls, rotweilers - yes, it's a drug dealing house. Sorry but that's the classic sign.

Well, we have underground utilities so never saw any tennis shoes over the power lines. But I think we used to have your neighbor living next door to us. Aggressive dogs chained up and neglected in the back yard barking at our toddlers (made the back yard nearly unusable). Drinking and late night partying. Hearing the domestic violence.

Eventually, the guy's wife/baby momma left him, his financial situation deteriorated, and he was foreclosed after a brief little while. Not before he had a birthday party for his 9th grader, where there was a gang related drive by shooting that left a kid bleeding to death in the street while we watched in horror (a 14 year old was the gunman).

I never knew whether he was involved in drug trafficking, but I can't say I miss him. I much prefer the new neighbors (nurse anesthetist and her quiet husband). :)

Moral of the story - your bad neighbor might be temporary, just hope you don't catch a stray bullet in the mean time.

Thanks Fuego and everyone else. I would say your situation parallels mine. I hope we never have drive-bys, but I never thought I'd have this neighbor from hell either. This really isn't a bad neighborhood except for these people and their most unsavory lifestyle. They don't speak and neither do we. I hope you are right and they finally move, but I somehow doubt it.
Prof12

Prof12 I completely sympathize with you on the dog issue. We have a similar situation, though, hopefully, without the drug factor added in. Our neighbor from hell seemed to think his large, aggressive, dog had the right to roam freely just because we live in the country. He continued to let the beast roam even after it attacked my husband and they had to pay damages. Numerous calls to the dog warden and police (who told us to shoot the dog) were of no avail other than to document and create a paper trail. Finally it took a shotgun (deliberately missing the dog, but scaring the bejesus out of it) to get our point across. A fence finally appeared on their property after three years of being afraid to set foot out of our house. The fifty year old owner who lives on his mothers charity installed it himself. I'm sure mama paid for all materials.

After 23 years of police work in a very big city, I can honestly say I've never heard anything about shoes over a utility line having anything to do with marking a drug house or anything else for that matter. Ive seen shoes thrown over wires in all sorts of places including major intersections where there's no way it was marking a house. I think that's an urban legend.
You're neighbors may well be slinging dope, but I don't think the shoes have anything to do with it.

At least out in the suburbs, I always thought this was some sort of hazing ritual where the HS newbies get taken for a ride, forced to remove shoes and then made to walk home.

Last edited:
Thank you, Utrecht--and you may well be right. But reading these posts I am concerned that shoes may signal drugs to some, and that could lead to more unsavory characters and happenings. Perception may be reality to them.

We had people dealing from their house kiddy-corner to us. I used to go for a walk early (4:30-5:30 am) and would always see cars on the street with people in them. I would also see people go up to the door during these times. There was a police sub-station down the block and I mentioned it to them. Months later the people from the house were out and several sheriff's cars pulled up. Then all the lights were on and you could see them searching throughout the house. They must have had luck because we never saw the people again. Just keep your eyes open.

Thanks, Idnar7. One can only hope. I talked to a realtor and was told the way the yard looks and the barking dogs would cause my selling potential to go way down. I guess appraisors consider everything.

Prof12

I agree that the sneakers over power lines are most likely a prank--drug users already know where the dealers are.

DD lives in a gentrified city neighborhood and the neighborhood watch meetings are well attended. The police advise them to call in any little suspicious activity because they need the resident complaints to bolster their response. It has made a huge difference in cleaning up the area and the neighbors have never been made to feel they are wasting the cops' time.

Good luck, prof.

Most people in this neighborhood do not socialize and even wave in greeting. Most are young to middle-age folks who basically want to mind their own business & choose not to become involved. That group would not, I feel certain, welcome any type of neighborhood watch or want to participate. When I mentioned it to the neighbor who pointed out the shoes, he told me he didn't want to be put in the position of becoming another George Zimmerman. I think his views are consistent with most in the neighborhood.

Prof 12

Just an update: The 2 pairs of shoes are gone. Early this morning a Power & Light truck equipped with a bucket, pulled them down. Utility guy said they periodically run sweeps or they come if called. Guy said they had several calls on the 2 pair. He laughed and said he was happy to cut into their profits when I thanked him. We'll see how long it takes for more to appear.
Prof12

Please to see the current crisis is over...:clap:

Now... while I was checking the internet for more info on this, I found this:
feet.jpg

... which is a symbol that all people younger than I... know about... Especially current company... ER Members...

Living in a cave, keeps DW and I from being part of the current generation. We're always the last to know.:(

I hate to sound like a grumpy old man, but I really don't want to interact with the current generation. I don't understand them nor do I want to. And, most thankfully, I don't have to.
Prof12

Back
Top Bottom