Measuring more than money

JAGOTI

Dryer sheet aficionado
The three currencies of life.

I loved this article (linked above)- it made me question a lot of assumptions, and that is probably a good thing!

You’ve probably heard that time is your most precious commodity. But on the balances sheets that define “success” in our society, how often do we measure an abundance of free time?

Traditionally, the time-rich were kids or people without a job. Not exactly who we aspire to be when we grow up!

And what about mobility? Why isn’t the ability to travel and come and go as you please valued as highly as a Mercedes-Benz or a fancy house?

And the mobility-rich are usually college-aged people studying abroad or roaming vagabonds who never really fit into the “real world.”

Of course, we all have responsibilities. And we have to work for money at some point.

But what would your life look like if you measured and prioritized all three currencies equally – time, money, and mobility?

What say you?

!

I think my life would look like the one I have always had: Time, money,mobility in that order. Now that I am retired for 30+ years {age 66) and living overseas,it is now Money,Mobility,time. If I had known it would be this way I probably would have skipped working and living in the USA, altogether!

All you need is love...

I would prioritize love over all of those three "currencies".

I agree that love/close relationships are very important, as well as good health. I always struggle because I do value mobility but also value having a home base and our dog.

I don't particular value mobility, but that's probably because I've already traveled a fair amount.

I value money for its ability to give me time and flexibility.

Relationships and peace of mind are at the top of my list.

To me, the real value of money is that it gives me the freedom to live my life as I please; it increases my options. In a sense, money serves as a lubricant in the machinery of my life. Having enough money makes everything run more smoothly and allows me to obtain and enjoy the things I do value, most of which people have already listed here.

My portfolio is simply a time shifting vehicle. For the past 42 years, I have voluntarily banked my free time and mobility, represented by the money I have built up. Now I will spend that money on free time and mobility.

Pets bring love but mobility issues. One thing to be away an extra hour with a dog.. but a weekend without boarding... not cool.

Family is important in this too. Many of us wish to be close enough to still be a part of their lives other than a distant pixel glow. Come and go or multiple residences, all can work.

Two models that I believe encompass everything:
1) Success = Skill, Will, and Access
2) Satisfaction = Faith, Love, and Charity

Money = I have my share and consider myself "rich" on this.

Time = At age 57, I have lived 2/3 of my life. I feel like I am running out of time. I feel poor on time.

Mobility = Despite being retired, many things holds me down in one place. I don't and can't go places as I want. I am pretty poor on mobility but I feel ok about it. I.e, I don't see it as a key currency for my life.

If I were to replace mobility for another currency, it would be good/happy relationship with family and friends.

I would place good health above all the others.

Cheers!

Mobility/travel doesn't even make my list. Health and time are my two things I measure my life with. Money has helped me have all the free time I love. My time is spent mostly on things in the outdoors that don't even cost much or anything. I'm money rich and so far rich with good heath and rich with all the time I want.

From someone who has ran the gauntlet of health issues (cancer x3, a pacemaker, terrible car accident), I can assure all of you that good health is a quality that most of you take for granted. I have persevered in my life, and have recovered from so many ailments, that it has taken up most of my time, and money.

To most pedestrians, I look, and act like a normal healthy man...working full time, still cutting 5 cords of firewood a year, and still doing home building projects, but constantly am concerned about the NEXT issue to arise.

-health
-love
-time
-mobilty
-money

My back hurts and my spine curved. I invested in a first class Japanese Stretching and Massage Chair .. cost $4000 .. but intense back pain is gone and spine is straight. DH and I take Acai and Bluberry everyday as studies shows it kills 80% of cancer cells. We eat organic.

Yes health is on the top of my list to. All of them are important.

Back
Top Bottom