Medical professionals

And the hits keep coming...Dishwasher died this week...yes it should be expected- it is 14 years old...but these first 5 months of breakdowns is really skewing the spending higher from what had been our average for the last three years

Sorry 'bout your string of bad luck.
But remember that NOT having to buy a new dishwasher for a long while should help hold down spending in future years ;)

I must say ... it must be incredibly frustrating for doctors to see insurance rates skyrocket while their income gets pinched from any and all directions.

A sample of reasons behind skyrocketing HI rates- a new drug to treat hepatitis costs US$84,000 (wholesale, so retail will be much higher). The drug cost alone (not inc doc's, tests, etc.) for treating even half of folks in US with this form of hepatitis would be literally BILLIONS$$$$

FAQ: The High Cost of Hepatitis C Drugs

To control HC costs, you need to follow the $$$.

And the hits keep coming...Dishwasher died this week...yes it should be expected- it is 14 years old...but these first 5 months of breakdowns is really skewing the spending higher from what had been our average for the last three years

Hang in there Urn, this could be a sign of good fortune heading your way. First 3 years of my retirement, nothing out of ordinary hit me expense wise. Then the past 4th year... 1) outside A/C unit 2) water heater 3) house roof ... Then finally 4) dishwasher a week after roof was replaced. Too cheap to buy dishwasher so for a few months I hand washed then realized I had about $1000 in credit card rewards so I decided I could live with using free money to buy a new one.. 4 months later and no more problems of any type.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

........and the respect we receive ........

ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO: :2funny:

Last time I was admitted to the hosp the docs' name tags were identical to the name tags of all other hospital employees- inc their pic & FIRST name only in bold type. And docs, like everyone else, were referred to by first name only by other hosp employees.

Pt: When will Dr. Smith be in to see me?
Nurse: Let's see. George normally comes by around 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
Pt: I meant when will Dr. Smith be in?
Nurse: I told you. George comes by around 3 or 4.

:facepalm:

Interesting comment about names and respect. As an MD, I have always tried to get other healthcare providers to call me by my first name when talking to me face-to-face but use 'Dr. Smith' when referring to me with patients. I think the big bold first names on name tags is a great idea! These old eyes would have a much easier time and I would know more of my workmates actual names. Is it appropriate that I am 'Dr Smith' and everyone else is 'Chris, Pat, and Kelly'? Patient safety should be paramount and the hierarchical nature of health care has clearly been shown to work against this when 'underlings' are unable/unwilling to speak up when they see that something is being done incorrectly. The practices in Highly Reliable Organizational Systems are being brought slowly to bear in medicine just as they have been in the past in the nuclear industry and the cockpit. Personally, I love it when I am called by my first name.

Just on record as having hung them up after 30 years in the trenches. Was a wonderful run but a great feeling to be moving on.

Yes feels good but I'm sure it will take a while to sink in. So far it could just be a much need vacation!! Looking forward to summer in the garden and at the cottage.

.....Patient safety should be paramount and the hierarchical nature of health care has clearly been shown to work against this when 'underlings' are unable/unwilling to speak up when they see that something is being done incorrectly. The practices in Highly Reliable Organizational Systems are being brought slowly to bear in medicine just as they have been in the past in the nuclear industry and the cockpit. ...

Congrats on 30+ yrs & your retirement!

Agree 100% that patient safety is what it's all about, but sharply disagree that hierarchical nature has hurt medicine...or is being abandoned in HROS's. Obviously honest input from all levels is important, but every job description has its limits. Organizations function best when roles are clear, properly integrated, and goal directed. Ultimately clear chain of command remains critical. Particularly in time-critical areas like the airliner cockpit, the ship's wheelhouse, and acute care areas of medicine. The pilot still commands the aircraft and the captain commands the ship. And its the same in less time sensitive areas. In a successful manufacturing business it ain't the 3rd floor janitor making final decisions on a new product launch.

I've got no problems with my docs calling each other by their 1st names or being on a 1st name basis with other hosp employees when in private. But IMHO this 'always 1st name basis' stuff in front of patients seems unprofessional...and possibly dangerous. If I go into cardiac arrest I want all present to IMMEDIATELY know that DOCTOR Smith is running the code, not "George" who turns out to be the food service worker just there delivering my lunch (as in a 'classic' scene from a medical sit com a few yrs ago) :LOL:

Continued unexpected expenses piling up.....And now we have an expensive roof repair and the printer keeps going offline and will only print after restarting the computer. And to top it all off---today the dryer just died AGAIN! (8 months since replacing the heating element).

This is starting to make me a little paranoid.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
8 month update- a continued cautionary tale:

Earlier in this thread I recounted all the unexpected and expensive things that have happened to us since I stopped getting a paycheck. Well, things had settled down, and I figured we were past our string of bad luck...until this past week.

I am considered an extremely physically fit 53-resting heart rate in the low 50's, no risk factors for serious illness, exercise regularly - I swam on Monday and did 46 minutes on the elliptical on Tuesday evening...

Early AM-Wednesday stomach ache just would not get better...by Wednesday evening I was in hospital with severe sepsis from what ultimately proved to be pneumococcal pneumonia. Of course, there have been a few complications as well, but I do expect recovery.

All of this is happening while out of town (out of network)... I don't have any idea how much this adventure is going to cost me, and while I realize I am lucky to be alive, I am sharing my UEE (unexpected expense experience) to be an example of why you may want to be sure you have an extra cushion of money.

Stuff happens.
Really, really unexpected stuff.

Yikes, urn, that was a shocker! At least you caught something treatable. I hope you're feeling better soon.

That really is unexpected! I hope you're going to be ok. Is there no provision for out of network emergencies?

Wow...hope you are feeling better soon! I know all too well about the unexpected expenses. This week (first week since my DW came home from having a spinal tumor removed...FUN!) our new roof leaked quite badly, the garage door spring broke trapping the car, AC condensate drain pump failed (and soaked the basement). Granted, these expenses are low...but they are stressful. And this doesn't add in the "extra bills" that are starting to come in from the DW's stay at the hospital. Those fights being tomorrow. So much for looking forward to Mondays!!!

That really is unexpected! I hope you're going to be ok. Is there no provision for out of network emergencies?

Sorry for the health issues Urn. Hope health and other things will start turning your way. Im with Ally here and that was an immediate first thought while reading your posts. Some policies have the emergency situation waiver on out of network costs. Check through your policy. Fill an appeal if necessary. Its worth checking into as I am sure they are not knocking over themselves to rush and cut your bill even if it is allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 month update- a continued cautionary tale:

Stuff happens.
Really, really unexpected stuff.

Sorry to hear about your health emergency and I hope you have an uneventful and full recovery.

Having weathered a few unexpected major expenses lately, my current motto is -

Stuff Breaks and Sh!t Happens. Have An Emergency Fund.

The financial pundits always say to have 3, 6, or 9 months of expenses in an easily accessible emergency fund. That makes it sound like it's to cover loss of income, like for a job loss. But for many of us it's the medical stuff you couldn't have seen coming, the house stuff that was expected to last and didn't, or the short notice trip to go see a family member.

Last edited:
Wow...hope you are feeling better soon! I know all too well about the unexpected expenses. This week (first week since my DW came home from having a spinal tumor removed...FUN!) our new roof leaked quite badly, the garage door spring broke trapping the car, AC condensate drain pump failed (and soaked the basement). Granted, these expenses are low...but they are stressful. And this doesn't add in the "extra bills" that are starting to come in from the DW's stay at the hospital. Those fights being tomorrow. So much for looking forward to Mondays!!!

I feel your pain. Good luck for your wife. The pneumonia is a shadow of itself now, but the complication has left me unable to sit or stand for any length of time, so I am stranded away from home. Not sick enough for a hospital- thank goodness given their daily charges, but not able to do anything but lie down., so not able to fly the 2000 miles home. Luckily i have found a safe harbor with a cousin not too far away and I hope to mount a recovery under her wonderful, gracious hospitality.
I have no idea what the insurance will end up of covering of what has to be a huge tab...

Last edited:
If I were not living it I would call BS on these posts but the hits keep coming! Got home after surviving severe sepsis. This morning awoke to find huge tree down having totaled one of our cars and taken out all the patio furniture an ornamental tree, at least one Air Conditioner unit. On the bright side the damage to the house itself is limited to some scratches and bent screens.

I AM NOT GOING BACK TO WORK!
So keep trying, oh demon of disasters...this is why I have insurance. But again- a cautionary tale- stuff happens and runs of bad luck can be astoundingly long lasting.

Hang in there, urn2bfree. There are just so many occurrences in your life that can be as bad as what you've gone through. Life should look uphill from here.

Just be glad you're a physician that could afford to retire without one of the worse situations--PTMD--Post Traumatic Malpractice Disorder. I had a close friend that had his PhD and MD by age 25 from the University of Pennsylvania. His medical career had changed from oncology to pain management for cancer victims. And he had a rather high profile patient die from an injection for pain.

I read some of the malpractice lawsuit my friend was bombarded with--going after him, his clinic and HCA (who denied liability.) Litigation went on for years, and simply sucked the life from my friend. On the day the suits were settled out of court, my friend ended his life.

If a physician works in a high risk specialty and works until age 65, I've read he has a 99% chance that a malpractice lawsuit or two will be experienced in his career.

To those physicians that live below their means, put their time in and get out while the gettin's good--good for you. Just take time prior to retirement to prepare yourself to retire--hobbies, interests, etc. outside of work.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435432850.178398.jpg

I feel your pain. Good luck for your wife. The pneumonia is a shadow of itself now, but the complication has left me unable to sit or stand for any length of time, so I am stranded away from home. Not sick enough for a hospital- thank goodness given their daily charges, but not able to do anything but lie down., so not able to fly the 2000 miles home. Luckily i have found a safe harbor with a cousin not too far away and I hope to mount a recovery under her wonderful, gracious hospitality.
I have no idea what the insurance will end up of covering of what has to be a huge tab...

One of the many good things about the ACA is that insurance should cover any emergency out-of-network care the same as if it is in network, unless you have a grandfathered plan from before the ACA took effect. So insurance, whether or not it's through the ACA, should pick up a good chunk of that healthcare tab.

ER Access & Doctor Choice | HHS.gov/healthcare

However, some states allow balance billing and some states do not. So if the state where you were stranded does not allow balance billing your bills may not be as huge as you think.

Now about that tree...you have had more than your fair share of difficulties this year. I hope your health is recovering and nature (trees, storms, bacteria) and appliances stop slapping you in the face!

:mad:

Back
Top Bottom