Join Early Retirement Today
Memorial Day Thanks...
Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Memorial Day Thanks...

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...
I concur.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
Well said and I also concur.

God Bless Us All
War is a poor chisel to carve out tomorrow. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Agreed. Thank you, so very much!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...
It is more than that. Thank you for defending civilization. After the first gulf war, the Japanese admitted that no one else has the means or the will to do so.

The rest of the world forgets easily. We do not.
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...
and a warm hug to all!

Thank you....
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
not sure what i was watching last night. think it was dateline nbc. was a program about a vietnam veteran's journey from bloodshed to redemption, the journey of a photograph of a young father and a daughter which he had taken from the wallet of a soldier who he killed in combat and returned 30 years later to that soldier's daughter.

the story was very well told. how he carried the photo throughout his life. how much it disturbed him that he took a life and how he struggled to come to terms with that and with his sense of duty.

after he aged some 30 years, he tried to find resolution of his conflicted feelings by placing the photograph, and a hand written letter, at the vietnam memorial wall in washington d.c. where it was collected and caught the attention of an archivist there. the picture he tried to release from his heart was published in a vet's newsletter which he receives. so he contacts the publisher and gets his photo back.

he now decides that he will only find peace if he can return the photograph to the daughter of the man he killed in battle. the story of his quest is picked up by a newspaper in vietnam, which publishes the picture of the soldier and his daughter. a copy of that particular newspaper with that story and picture happens to be used to wrap some goods from market which someone sends off to a village far from town.

the person who received the newspaper wrapped package sees the picture, walks over to a neighbor's house and says to the woman there, this is a picture of your father.

word gets back to the american veteran that the daughter has been found and so he journey's back to where he never thought he'd be again, to vietnam. when he returns the picture to this daughter and says to her "i am the man who killed your father," she and her brother greet him with tears as if he embodied the spirit of her father returning.

war is hell. may you all find peace.
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
Very well said, Midpack! I had a brief chat with a Vietnam vet yesterday while he was waiting to march in a parade. He was dressed in fatigues and said that he had marched in more than 30 Memorial Day parades. He didn't say it, but I could tell how much this day and what it represents meant to him. As we talked, I could feel the extent of his sacrifice. I'm glad I chatted with him, and I am very grateful to him and all others that defend our freedom.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
We went to our local Memorial Day Commemoration today. The weather cooperated, and there was a very good turnout!

It started with the Navy Mothers dropping a wreath into the river in honor of all of the sailors who have passed on. Then a small parade from there to the park downtown where our war memorials are located (Civil War thru Gulf War). The parade included the High School and Jr. High School Marching bands playing the themes of the all the various branches of the military and other patriotic songs, followed by the obligatory Fire Trucks and River Rescue Trucks......lots of flashing lights to the delight of the little tikes (NO sirens to the delight of us older 'kids'! ). Behind that were all of the Scouting groups......and then HUNDREDS of school children all waving the Stars & Stripes! The police closed down the state highway through town for the parade....there were no detours....motorists just had to sit and wait for about 20 minutes until the parade got to the park.

At the park the leaders of the VFW, American Legion, and AmVets all said a few words in honor of all of the fallen soldiers. Each of the area schools has an annual Memorial Day Essay contest, and the winner from each school read their winning essay.

As the church bells tolled, one of our local veterans read the list of area veterans who had passed away in the last year. Sadly the list grows each year......this year we lost 84 veterans from WWII, up through the Middle East. The ceremony ended with the Honor Guard of our local Veteran Orgs offering up a 21 gun salute.

Thanks to all who have served!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
There was a beautiful story on ABC News tonight about a man in Edmonds, WA who does free portraits in pencil of the Iraq War dead for parents who request them. He is extremely talented. One of the fathers who requested a portrait (who is very anti-war) ended up hitting it off with the artist. Between anti-war protests, he helps the artist get the portraits mailed so the artist can spend all his time drawing.

Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote