Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Upstate Ruralia
Posts: 283
Wait til the company leaves and then take a long hot soapy shower together.....

DONT TALK just shower!!!

See what happens!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Wait til the company leaves and then take a long hot soapy shower together.....

DONT TALK just shower!!!

See what happens!!!!!
^^^Now that's what I call counseling!
__________________

__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 619
Hopefully your family is just suffering a bit of temporary lifestyle transition pains and things will smooth out for you with new routines. Good luck to you.
__________________
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,185
This kind of bickering, etc can strike at other times. We moved into a smaller house in November after 20 years in the other one. Jan 1, 2014, I semi retired. We had some real shouting matches over all kinds of stuff. But, we are too old and too wise to let things like that permanently affect us.

Like others said, try to work things out where it benefits both of you. Life is short, don't waste it.
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 269
I am not there yet, but I do have some concern that my wife may have too many suggestions about how I spend my time. She is a SAHM, so I also think about me "invading" her turf. We don't fight all that often, but it isn't all that pretty when it happens. May be a factor when I approach the OMY territory.
__________________
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Mrs Brewer might ask herself the same question.
Perhaps, but the only person you can control is yourself. If you change and your partner still is no fun to live with, then some decisions need to be made. If you're not willing to change and see if it has a positive impact, forget about it.
__________________
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.
Redbugdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
She is a SAHM, so I also think about me "invading" her turf.
Boy...I had to look that one up. It scared me out of my boots! But now I know she is normal.
__________________
"I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it." Ashleigh Brilliant
Redbugdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
I am not there yet, but I do have some concern that my wife may have too many suggestions about how I spend my time.
Hey, I see that you're just sitting around wasting time on the computer. Why don't you run the vacuum around the living room?
__________________
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
This kind of bickering, etc can strike at other times. We moved into a smaller house in November after 20 years in the other one. Jan 1, 2014, I semi retired. We had some real shouting matches over all kinds of stuff. But, we are too old and too wise to let things like that permanently affect us.

Like others said, try to work things out where it benefits both of you. Life is short, don't waste it.
Agreed. We had a discussion that cleared the air and worked some stuff out. A big part of the problem is that just as I left the salt mine she had a huge influx of business in her private practice that had her working full time or more. Instead of getting some long-awaited time together, I had to be full time with the kids and the house while she worked. The surge has subsided and she is getting more disciplined about pushing client appointments into dedicated blocks of time. We will probably get this all sorted out just in time for the disruptions of the kids being out of school for the summer, but so be it.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Brewer, Glad to hear you two are working this out, sure beats going back to work
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #111
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Brewer, Glad to hear you two are working this out, sure beats going back to work
+1
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #112
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Brewer, Glad to hear you two are working this out, sure beats going back to work
+2
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
I don't think they are helpful for children either; they give children ideas and make them think of things that they may not otherwise think about. It's not always a good strategy to focus internally. Some things are better left untended. I had one asked my daughter, who I had taken to her because of focus issues in school, if she ever contemplated suicide. How asinine is that? Even if the child is not thinking about it, well just maybe the therapist would give them ideas.
Heh. I gotta wonder how asinine your daughter thought it was, or knowing your impression how willing she was to talk to you about it. Loss of focus and intense depression resulting in thoughts of suicide are often related in teens. We've been dealing with loss of focus with Youngest for three years, and he recently admitted he's been thinking of offing himself for the past 18 months. Counselor told us yesterday, at our first session, that this is a normal combination. Not much I would not do for my kid, including paying for someone safe for him to talk to, someone who will not judge what he says and will help him think it through. If he wants to share those discussions with us, fabulous. If not, that's OK too.

For goodness sake, don't shut off communication with your kid by being judgmental.
__________________
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets
Newventurer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: in the sticks
Posts: 238
Anyone else getting licensed social workers ads showing up in the paid ads at the top of this thread? Man, its amazing how the internet tracks everything now.
__________________
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #115
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Anyone else getting licensed social workers ads showing up in the paid ads at the top of this thread? Man, its amazing how the internet tracks everything now.
I am getting a Bass Pro "Crappie Madness '14" ad, which is kind of the same thing.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #116
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 710
My child and I have a great relationship. She did not have behavior that concerned us as yours obviously had. Her only issue is that she's never found school very interesting from an early age and so is not very focused on it. She'd rather cook, sing and bake all day long. Her teacher thought it might be helpful to talk to a counsellor about her lack of motivation for school. No need to dissect my post and label it as judgmental without knowing all the facts. In your child's situation that line of questioning may have been warranted. I still maintain that counsellor's are a waste and sometimes can do more harm than good. A troubled child just needs a trusted adult whether that's a teacher, family friend, their parents or a minister but of course that does not benefit the ever expanding pychobable industry. In the spirit of full disclosure, I spend much of my life living among peoples and cultures who did not seem to need psychologists to solve every problem. Their social connections seemed to help in that regard.
__________________
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
My child and I have a great relationship. She did not have behavior that concerned us as yours obviously had. Her only issue is that she's never found school very interesting from an early age and so is not very focused on it. She'd rather cook, sing and bake all day long. Her teacher thought it might be helpful to talk to a counsellor about her lack of motivation for school. No need to dissect my post and label it as judgmental without knowing all the facts. In your child's situation that line of questioning may have been warranted. I still maintain that counsellor's are a waste and sometimes can do more harm than good. A troubled child just needs a trusted adult whether that's a teacher, family friend, their parents or a minister but of course that does not benefit the ever expanding pychobable industry. In the spirit of full disclosure, I spend much of my life living among peoples and cultures who did not seem to need psychologists to solve every problem. Their social connections seemed to help in that regard.
Or so, knowing your bias, your kid lets you think. Kids are amazing at hiding their feelings, if they even recognize what those feelings are. 10 days ago, I would have said we had a great relationship with our kid too, and indeed the only visible issue was lack of focus in school. Heck, we thought he had ADHD, until we finally wrestled it out of him. They only let you know what they want to let you know, and will hide from you things that they know will hurt you. Some parents only find out their kid is thinking about suicide when they find them dead. You stated it was BS that a counselor asked her if she had thoughts about suicide when you brought her in for lack of focus. We have been told there is a statistical correlation. If there is no correlation for you and yours, fantastic, but I could not let your judgmental statement pass without comment in the event someone else is dealing with this issue. It would have been really nice to have a clue a while back, instead of believing that his lack of focus was simply hormones and teenage push back.

We are in way over our heads with this one, and are thrilled to pay a third party, one whose feelings Youngest does not have to worry about hurting, to help navigate these deep waters. We are smart enough to know we don't know everything.
__________________
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am getting a Bass Pro "Crappie Madness '14" ad, which is kind of the same thing.
I'm not getting any ads in the pages....I feel deprived. Am I being singled out? Do I need counseling? a different browser?

Thanks for the reminder, I need to clean up my tackle box!
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm not getting any ads in the pages....I feel deprived. Am I being singled out? Do I need counseling? a different browser?

Thanks for the reminder, I need to clean up my tackle box!
I am sure if you disable your adware you will get to be one of the group. Not seeing them either, but I don't get ads on most of my websites.
__________________
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #120
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 710
Whatever works for you. Your situation and mine are completely different and if you can't see that, well there isn't much I can say to you. Some children, in this case my child, don't have much interest in some academic subjects. It's just the way some children's brains are wired. My child loves math and science and does particularly well in those areas and dislikes/unmotivated in just about any other subjects. We thought she was ADD but the Counselor was not so sure and said to us you're doing all the right things.
__________________

__________________
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exercise More -> Eat More TromboneAl Health and Early Retirement 20 08-03-2008 12:02 AM
Flight attendant retires... after more than 50 years. Nords Young Dreamers 9 11-29-2007 09:09 AM
Income: More is less? Less is more? Sam FIRE and Money 9 08-19-2006 08:01 PM
Are hurricanes more damaging, or is there just more to damage? Nords Other topics 120 07-06-2006 08:47 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.