More fun playing with telemarketers

That Microsoft scam snagged my FIL, he was set straight after paying GeekSquad to get back control of the PC.

Never, ever allow someone to remote connect to your PC. EVER.

The phone number spoofing has been the biggest upgrade in the war against these scammers and robocallers, and the toughest one to counteract with the usual call-blocking tools.

!

I turned off the ringer on my own homephone years ago.

Mom's homephone goes to a conventional answering machine. Phone rings upwards of 20 times a day. Less than 1 a day is a wanted call . The robocalls dont leave a message, they just hang up.

We installed a home cell phone device connected to a amplified landline telephone (verizon wireless) This helps, but the spammers and robocall spoofers are infiltrating the cell numbers over time.

98 % of my phone usage is cellular. Unfortunately I cant just ignore numbers not on a trusted list . Occasionally get something extremely important from the back office of my doctor or mom's doctor or bank. One was from the internal number at the 911 fire dispatch , when a medical emergency happened.Those numbers are usually previously unknown.

When I call back spoofed numbers 100% have been non working numbers.

We don’t answer the front door unless we know who it is, or it’s clearly a child (presumably raising money for activities or school). Anyone else and we don’t even open the door, I’d never buy, join or sign anything door to door anyway.

I get mildly irritated with the telemarketers but there’s no mercy for those who come to my door.

My dad always maintained that anyone we want to talk to/knows us goes to the back door. "Good news never rings the doorbell"

We don’t answer the front door unless we know who it is, or it’s clearly a child (presumably raising money for activities or school). Anyone else and we don’t even open the door, I’d never buy, join or sign anything door to door anyway.

This. Unless I am expecting you...I am NOT answering the door. Thankfully, our house is a little more than a mile from the neighborhood entrance, so the number of door to door salespeople is just about zero.

My dad always maintained that anyone we want to talk to/knows us goes to the back door. "Good news never rings the doorbell"

not in my experience , i have annoyed two ( intending ) burglars at the back door , and mum alarmed one trying to get in a back window

not in my experience , i have annoyed two ( intending ) burglars at the back door , and mum alarmed one trying to get in a back window

That’s why I answer the door. I don’t want them thinking that no one is home. Isn’t that what they (burglars) before they break in? I’d rather confront them straight up. Thankfully that’s never been the case.

i never advertise whether i am in residence or not

if i am not in the yard , it is lucky dip

i keep the doors and screens closed , pests come in all sizes from tiny to jail-bait .

( and i don't rely on the cops even though the station is only 100 yards away )

That’s why I answer the door. I don’t want them thinking that no one is home. Isn’t that what they (burglars) before they break in? I’d rather confront them straight up. Thankfully that’s never been the case.

There are no hard or fast rules when it comes to burglars. I will not answer then door, and if someone tries to gain entrance...well, I have the means and ability to stop their unlawful act. :cool:

My DW managed a property (that had an alarm) that was broken into two days in a row. The first day, only the front door was busted in but nothing was taken. The second day, same door was busted open but stuff was then stolen. The cops relayed to the tenant that this was a common practice. The burglars would bust open the door and go hide in the woods to see how long it took the police to arrive. Then the next day (or within a day or two) they would then *actually* rob the place.

The only real reason I have an alarm is to notify ME that someone is in the home. I don't want to walk in my door and be surprised by a thief.

Good point. Do you have a "No Soliciting" sign in front of your house? Wonder how helpful those are....

The only real reason I have an alarm is to notify ME that someone is in the home. I don't want to walk in my door and be surprised by a thief.

Totally agree. Best an alarm will do, other than notify you, is move them along quickly. It has been interesting to see how they operate given the increase of video cameras. Very disturbing how casually they walk through the home looking for thes stuff they’ll take.

Totally agree. Best an alarm will do, other than notify you, is move them along quickly. It has been interesting to see how they operate given the increase of video cameras. Very disturbing how casually they walk through the home looking for thes stuff they’ll take.

I don't think cameras have done squat to dissuade them. BUT...the local news LOVES the video clips, so I think it probably does a decent job in catching them.

I have also noticed that when the local news covers a burglary or home invasion, the camera shot of the front of the house will often show an alarm yard sign. Like I said...the alarm is for MY situational awareness (police aren't even contacted unless I give the go-ahead to the dispatcher). I have insurance to cover any loss of "stuff". I have a pretty noisy dog too, so while I know that won't stop the most diehard thief, he certainly might give them pause. Incidentally, that is why the police aren't dispatched if my alarm goes off...I don't need them shooting my dog.

Good point. Do you have a "No Soliciting" sign in front of your house? Wonder how helpful those are....

We have one on our front door. People pretend they didn't see it all the time. Then, when I point it out to them, they pretend they're not soliciting.

A couple of weeks ago, a young woman said that it was OK, because she had a permit to solicit. I told her it didn't matter. If the homeowner has a No Soliciting sign, she can't solicit there. She made no move to get off my porch, so I shut the door in her face.

On a rare occasion, I see someone approach, swear, then walk away. I guess it does help, but only minimally.

We have one on our front door. People pretend they didn't see it all the time. Then, when I point it out to them, they pretend they're not soliciting.

A couple of weeks ago, a young woman said that it was OK, because she had a permit to solicit. I told her it didn't matter. If the homeowner has a No Soliciting sign, she can't solicit there. She made no move to get off my porch, so I shut the door in her face.

On a rare occasion, I see someone approach, swear, then walk away. I guess it does help, but only minimally.

We had one at the front door of our business, and it was frequently ignored there as well. You have to think the solicitor's training includes a directive to ignore those signs. Too many properties would be excluded otherwise.

I'd lose my patience quickly with the "it is OK because I have a permit to solicit." OK with who? Not with me, and this is my property.

well, I have the means and ability to stop their unlawful act. :cool:
:D :D

I once put a sign on my front door that read: Welcome to my home. Before you break in, please be aware that I have trouble sleeping and often sit here in the dark with my shotgun next to me.

I thought it was funny; the wife, not so much. :fingerwag:

I once put a sign on my front door that read: Welcome to my home. Before you break in, please be aware that I have trouble sleeping and often sit here in the dark with my shotgun next to me.

A couple of my favorite "keep away" signs, from windows in a residential part of Brugge, Belgium:

Chien.jpg
Warning: Very bad tempered dog

Pas Op.jpg

Beware Stray German Shepherd
When the dog comes, lie flat on the ground and wait for help.
If no help comes, be strong.

I am glad that some of you are sympathetic to the telemarketers trying to make a living. There is enough lack of civility in the world. However, I would caution you that with the Do Not Call list these folks are criminals and scam artists. Remember burglars are just trying to make a living too. Best to just not answer.

Our approach:

1. Door-knockers - Our town has a strictly enforced ordinance requiring door-to-door bag draggers to have a permit and to display that permit on their upper body plainly visible. I answer the door if I'm home. If the bag dragger has no permit, I warn him/her that our town requires one and shut the door. I then call the police who are remarkably attentive to this issue and who generally respond within minutes. They don't just give an on-the-street warning. They put the violator into the squad and take him/her to the station. It's real entertaining. If the person does have a permit, my response depends on who they are. A neighbor dad and his cheerleader daughter selling raffle tickets funding uniforms get $20 and a big smile. For people I don't know and who are selling anything I could find/do without them accosting me at my door, I politely shut the door and call the town officials and tell them they're issuing permits to the wrong people and to please stop it. We get very, very few door-knockers in my neighborhood and I like it that way.

2. Telephone jerks - I don't answer calls from unidentified numbers or numbers I don't know and just wait to see if they leave a message. At one time, I would answer just to tell them off then realized there was zero upside to me for doing this. They didn't care, they listen to it all day, and since they already know my number might call back just for revenge. So, my priority is to not answer and, if I do (very rare), just hang up as soon as I realize it's a sales pitch.

Last edited:

I put "No Solicitors" and "No Flyers" on my door, partly because I didn't want to be bothered, and partly because I traveled a lot and didn't want flyers stuffed in my doors for days advertising my absence. I did see some of the flyer guys approach my door and then move on when they saw the sign.

Had one lady, either from Mary Kay or Avon come to the door. I pointed to the signs and she said "Most people actually want us to come anyway." I told her to get over herself and to never set foot on my porch again, and slammed the door.

I read a story about a house that had a sign on the front reading "I shoot every third salesman and the second one just left". The lady of the house was cleaning up after the kids when the doorbell rang. Carrying a toy cap pistol she answered the door. The salesman looked at the gun, blanched, and ran.

So maybe that would work.

I have the Mr Number app on my Android phone (we haven't used a landline phone in decades). Won't answer any # that I do not recognize, or comes up as a business I recognize. If important it can go to VM.

Have had some innovative ones comes through, though, which give me a laugh now and then (I still don't answer them, they are just amusing at times). Many masquerade as local TN or Verizon calls when they are not, many will come through as just a first name like "Ted", and once I got one from "Mom". That one was great since my Mom passed away six years ago. Those long distance charges must be a killer, no pun intended.

This is why we use our Google Voice number for all nonpersonal matters (businesses, services, etc.) now, and even a lot of personal contacts, too. I have the default set for all calls to go directly to voicemail, then email both my partner and me the message immediately. Even if the transcript is somewhat garbled, I can tell enough about it to know if it's important or not.

And as I add friends and family to my contacts, I set up GV so that their incoming number rings through to our home and/or cell phones, depending on the person. It's as easy as assigning them to a list/group in Google Contacts. But even for calls that go to voicemail, I get notifications on my cell phone of any messages anyway, so I can always call back within a minute or two if I'm not busy.

I read a story about a house that had a sign on the front reading "I shoot every third salesman and the second one just left". The lady of the house was cleaning up after the kids when the doorbell rang. Carrying a toy cap pistol she answered the door. The salesman looked at the gun, blanched, and ran.

So maybe that would work.
:D :D

I put this on my front door the other day. The DW was not amused, so I don't think it will stay. :cool:

IMG_1402.jpg

I saw an interesting sign a couple weeks ago. 'Owner has guns and a backhoe. Knows how to use both.'

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom