More potential retirement lifestyles

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
From the link: "While most people all over the world live in a community with others around them, Russian photographer Danila Tkachenko captures those that choose to turn their backs on this lifestyle. His compelling series Escape documents people who instead live a solitary existence in the wilderness. They make their homes in the Russian and Ukrainian forest and fashion makeshift dwellings from the land."

Compelling Portraits of People Who Live Alone in the Forest - My Modern Met

I saw those photos and thought it was really, really interesting. My Modern Met is a recently discovered gem in my Flipbook feed. So glad you enjoy it as well.

Interesting article, especially for early retirees. Some of us who are in our mid 60's or older might benefit by being closer to emergency medical care, in case of stroke, heart attack, or other life threatening situations that do seem to occur with greater frequency in the elderly.

And then there are those like me, who wouldn't miss the people so much as the availability of city sewage and water. I would never voluntarily do without these amenities. I am such a city girl. :D

Them there is some hard-core introverts!

I'm not quite that bad and like W2R, would be reluctant to give up indoor plumbing.

And then there are those like me, who wouldn't miss the people so much as the availability of city sewage and water. I would never voluntarily do without these amenities. I am such a city girl. :D

Reminds me of what I saw on Alaska House Hunting reality show. Ladies don't mind living off a grid but insisted on indoor bathroom. Most off the grid houses came only with outhouses, no indoor bathrooms. Guys seem to mind less using outhouses. I agree with the ladies on this one. I hate outhouses. Ones I used as a child had rats scurrying around at the bottom while I was trying to do business.

And they have no power to plug in to charge their laptop, iPad, smartphones, etc... No internet, nor WiFi to BS on forums like this. No address for Amazon to deliver their orders...

But on the plus side, they do not have to ponder what AA to have, when to rebalance, or whether to be 100% fixed income or TIPS. :cool:

Those photos remind me why I don't go walking alone in the forests (I wonder who would be more frightened, me or them?). I am very surprised the subjects agreed to be photographed.

Last edited:
You still need a GPS to perhaps get lat/long coordinates to give to Amazon so that they can enter that delivery point to the drone (assuming you can get your order entered online somehow).

And be sure to clear that spot of the forest for the drone to land!!!

.......... Ones I used as a child had rats scurrying around at the bottom while I was trying to do business.
Think how the rats felt with that raining down on 'em.

There is/was a show on Discovery 'Alaskan Bush People'. Not sure how 'real' it is, some seems a little too convenient, but it takes you into a family living that type of life.

Interesting life choice. Sounds very peaceful, till I think about being wet, cold, hungry, or sick.

Last edited:
Those photos remind me why I don't go walking alone in the forests (I wonder who would be more frightened, me or them?). I am very surprised the subjects agreed to be photographed.

You'd be amazed. If you actually get out into real wilderness, you very rarely see other people (especially if you go off the established paths). Unless you are very quiet, you will not see much in the way of wildlife either.

Depending on the individual it could break towards Thoreau or Kaczynski.
The photos of the men in the story resemble the ones I see walking out of the bushes along my river trail ride. Some appear happy others not so much.

Back
Top Bottom