Moving and Other Life changes

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Pretty much settled that I'm moving to Florida late next year.
Have to figure out what to move, trash, donate; and what to do with the house.

Do you have a location picked out? A few hundred miles in Florida can make a big difference.

MRG

Last edited:
It's good to hear from you. :)

Don't know if it would be right for you, but perhaps you could box up personal items you want to keep. Leave the furniture and sell the house furnished. Might be a good incentive for a young couple or single person.

The boxed items with your personal belongings could be shipped to your new place in Florida. You could furnish your digs with new things that would fit your style and space.

A change can do you good. :)

Last edited:
Very nice area!

It will be so nice to be away from the snow next winter. DD is in the process of buying a house and they are hoping that the present owner will leave some of the furniture that is still in the house. So leaving your furniture that you don't want, might be very good for someone else.

Good luck making all of your decisions and I hope that you love your new place!

It's good to hear from you. :)
+1

Don't know if it would be right for you, but perhaps you could box up personal items you want to keep. Leave the furniture and sell the house furnished. Might be a good incentive for a young couple or single person.

This is exactly what I was thinking, too. Leave the furniture, lower the price, and move. You can always keep in touch with the realtor, if necessary, via cell phone.

The boxed items with your personal belongings could be shipped to your new place in Florida. You could furnish your digs with new things that would fit your style and space.
This is what we planned to do, when we were planning to move north. We were going to get a small U-Haul truck and downsize enough that we could share it, moving almost no furniture. We planned to hire some help at each end, to load and unload.

A change can do you good. :)
What a great adventure! :)

Glanced at the table of contents. Lived ~18 years in northeast FL. The cautions about the heat and humidity are spot on. DW and I grew up in midwest, we enjoyed FL but we simply missed seasons. We're in NC now and it is just about right for us. In FL it just seemed like summer went on forever. The beach is great, but other than that the geography was pretty boring IMO. The income tax thing is a nice draw though.

Why are you moving? ... if you don't mind me asking.

My house is falling apart.
I won't be able to live alone much longer.
Have been half-seriously scouting on the internet for someone to live with or near.
Someone took me up on it.
Spent two days there in Feb and four days in Apr; looking to two weeks in Sep.
We seem to get along.
Have been buying/sending some stuff to slightly change things to my benefit.

Sort of DIY alternative to assisted living.

Khan,

I would get a realtor to try to sell the house furnished if possible. And unfurnished for Plan B. If you can sell furnished, then donate/discard the remaining stuff you do not want and get to Florida. If you cant sell the house furnished, consider an auction and sell as much stuff as can, donate/discard the rest and go to Fla.

Good luck in your move!

Khan, you picked a nice in Florida. Whenwe lived in Ft. Myers 1990-1998 we drove out to Pine Island many times. My wife had a friend that lived there. I call it a fishing village although it might have outgrown that handle. Hope the move goes well for you.

It's a drinking village where some people fish.

Back
Top Bottom