Music to chill by

Rusted brandy in a diamond glass
Everything is made from dreams
Time is made from honey slow and sweet
Only the fools know what it means

diana krall temptation - YouTube

Last edited:
Shortly after he took over the Tonight show, Jay Leno featured an appearance by The Cowboy Junkies. IIRC, he introduced them as "the coolest band in America".

Still applies.

Although I love Diana Krall, I like this version better. JMO, of course.
Not bad. It's a different style, though I discovered this song through Diana Krall, so I am already biased. And I also like the doublebass notes in her recording.

Here's a jamming session with her band, but of course the audio is not as good as the studio version.

Diana Krall - Temptation (lisabon video) - YouTube

Slow Gypsy (Music video)

I am partial to the acoustic guitar, followed by the woodwinds, so that hits the spot.

While I like Diana Krall, I've lost my heart to Sarah Brightman.
It started about 10 years ago... now I have all of her songs, and have learned all of the lyrics... even going to the internet to download translations of the foreign language operatic pieces... In my "younger days" sic, I also uploaded the sync lyrics of most of my collection to AlSong. so I can playback and read the lyrics that I may have forgotten. My car MP3Player is loaded with my full SB collection, so I can play 12 hours of nonstop Sarah, if DW would let me.
So Chill? You bet.
My favorite:

While I like Diana Krall, I've lost my heart to Sarah Brightman...

I have listened to Sarah Brightman. Her voice is clear, and sometimes happy like a spring morning. But I am really seduced by a secretive, sultry female voice. It's my somber nature, I guess.

I liked the above song "Temptation" enough to research further. The original artist is Tom Waits. People who get out more than myself would know, but I never heard of him before.

Wikipedia says that Waits has a distinctive voice, described by critic Daniel Durchholz as sounding "like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car." See if you agree.

By the way, a few years ago I first learned of Diana Krall as a casual mention in a novel by Peter Mayle (showing off my random memory again), and had to look her up on the Web. I already said that I did not get out much.

Tom Waits - Temptation - YouTube

Last edited:
I liked the above song "Temptation" enough to research further. The original artist is Tom Waits. People who get out more than myself would know, but I never heard of him before. Wikipedia says that Waits has a distinctive voice, described by critic Daniel Durchholz as sounding "like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car." See if you agree. By the way, a few years ago I first learned of Diana Krall as a casual mention in a novel by Peter Mayle (showing off my random memory again), and had to look her up on the Web. I already said that I did not get out much. Tom Waits - Temptation - YouTube

That description of Tom Waits is dead on.

Btw, Diana Krall is married to Elvis Costello.
Gives hope to an aging hippie like me... :p

Didn't know who Costello was either, until you mentioned it here.

Damn, my memory is still good!

But what I read and listen to is so off mainstream...

That description of Tom Waits is dead on.

His early stuff (Mule Variations, etc) is from before he blew out his voice. It was still rough, but more just soaked in the vat and hung in the smokehouse. It hadn't been run over by the car yet.

Btw, Diana Krall is married to Elvis Costello.
Gives hope to an aging hippie like me... :p

Just found this out a week or so ago. I meant to put it on the Learned Something New thread. But it doesn't do you any good. Elvis was a punk, not a hippie.

Incomplete List

John Lennon "Imagine"

Brightman/Vocelli "Por Ti Volare"

Bobby Darin "If I were a Carpenter"

Beatles "Hide your love away"

Heart "These Dreams"

Some good "chill" songs for me.

His early stuff (Mule Variations, etc) is from before he blew out his voice. It was still rough, but more just soaked in the vat and hung in the smokehouse. It hadn't been run over by the car yet. Just found this out a week or so ago. I meant to put it on the Learned Something New thread. But it doesn't do you any good. Elvis was a punk, not a hippie.

True about punk v. hippie genre-wise, but he and I are almost the same age, and he has branched, at least based on his short-lived TV show on Sundance channel, beyond punk musically.

The point about an aging, rather unremarkable looking guy, such as Elvis or myself, ending up with DK stands...

The point about an aging, rather unremarkable looking guy, such as Elvis or myself, ending up with DK stands...

Heck, even if you were butt ugly you could still end up with Julia Roberts.

lyle-lovett-01.jpg

I do not remember when, but I stopped coveting actresses and female singers long ago. I like to hear them sing and act, but would not know what they would be like in real life. I do not envy Costello and Lovett. And who's to say these twodidn't attract women with their talents, though I am not their fan?

Back
Top Bottom