My Caller ID Got Spoofed

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got a call today on my home phone.

The caller ID had my name and number. :facepalm:

I did get a call blocker recently and now wonder if this is the telemarketers/scammers trying to bait me into answering, or pure coincidence.

"Bring it on!" I just added my number as one to block. :)

I've heard of that happening and yes it is an effort to get you to answer.

As a result of another thread on telemarketers if I do get a call from one I plan to start out with "what color is your underwear?" and go downhill from there.:LOL: We get so few though that I haven't had a chance to try that out yet.

Yeah, I hear the "what are you wearing" line moves to a quick hang up :)

On Youtube are plenty of videos where folks string along the telemarketers having them jump through hoops to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Some of them are pretty funny, but even spending a moment on them isn't even worth the time.

The moral of the story..."Caller ID is pretty in effective in today's world."

I did get a call blocker recently and now wonder if this is the telemarketers/scammers trying to bait me into answering, or pure coincidence.

Haven't had that one yet.
Have a large list on call block

Yep, I think they are adapting many techniques to get around the "NOMOROBO" call blocker:

https://www.nomorobo.com/

I see a lot more local numbers pop up now, I think they just spoof the caller ID with random numbers to avoid getting caught by the NOMOROBO interceptor. I did see our own number once, I thought maybe it was one of the kids trying our VOIP app on their phone, but I think it was a spammer.

-ERD50

The caller ID had my name and number.

I've had this happen a few times. I have one of those phones that speaks the caller ID, so it was really weird the first time hearing that the call was from me.

I've had this happen a few times. I have one of those phones that speaks the caller ID, so it was really weird the first time hearing that the call was from me.

Well, when I get a spoofed caller ID showing up as a friend or family member, that'll really weird me out :LOL:

Seems similar to getting a spam email from yourself, which used to be quite common (or so it seemed). My understanding is that spoofing a caller ID is even easier than spoofing an email.

The call is coming from Inside the House......aaaaaaaagh

We must be on the same telephone spam list...Yesterday was the first time I've ever noticed that my own number was on the caller ID.

It was not quite right, though... instead of (123)456-7890, it was (012)345-6789. (i.e. shifted one digit to the right).

We must be on the same telephone spam list...Yesterday was the first time I've ever noticed that my own number was on the caller ID.

It was not quite right, though... instead of (123)456-7890, it was (012)345-6789. (i.e. shifted one digit to the right).

That probably tells you that it originated from another country.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My caller ID showed both my 10 digit number and my first initial and last name.

Now I wonder was my number done purely by chance or did one of the callers that I blocked go ahead and spam me this way? Either way, I blocked myself :LOL: with the call blocker.

All of these spam calls are incredibly annoying. We use OOMA's call blocking which helps a lot but they just keep getting more clever. Probably 40% of the calls we get at home are spam calls (not counting all of the election phone calls we're getting now - it's probably 90% the past week or so).

I feel sorry for the folks (probably mostly elderly folks) who fall for the "we are calling about your credit card" spammers.

I have no idea what's going on, but the day before yesterday, I couldn't find my cell phone, so dialed it from my home phone number. It showed up on caller ID as my home phone number, but the name was Harold Johnson.
I guess that explains why I was getting calls for "Harry".
I think the problem began when I transferred my number from the disastrous trial of using MagicJack... number was transferred okay, but not the name.

After going through 15 minutes of "press one for... etc" finally got a person. Hopefully it will be fixed and my friends won't be confused

I don't use caller id all of the time; usually only when I'm watching tv (cable & phone bundled). many, MANY calls the last couple weeks due to elections. treat them as I do all calls year-round - I answer with a customary Hello; a real person would respond immediately. if no response within 1 second - I hang up

I feel sorry for the folks (probably mostly elderly folks) who fall for the "we are calling about your credit card" spammers.

My favorite was the time they started off "We are calling from Visa or Mastercard", LOL. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom