My PC is dying

Mr._johngalt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am pretty sure some of you will view this with mixed feelings :D, but my
PC is dying. Slowly. It's not a pretty sight. E-mail goes in and out and even when it works about all that comes through is SPAM. Lots of people have sent e-mail that never got to me and a lot of my outgoing did not get delivered. Error messages are piling up, files are corrupted. You get the idea.

Anyway, as my system slowly implodes I've decided that this is my last
computer. I use it for no business purposes and can think of a lot I should be doing other than screwing around on the computer. So. I will keep it here for my stored phtos and word processing, otherwise it's off to the
library once it goes down for good. I won't be posting every day then,
but don't panic. I won't just up and disappear, except in the event
of my untimely demise.

I hope you all have an excellent day. I am quite sincere about that.
I'm going fishing.

Semper Fi.

JG

So. I will keep it here for my stored phtos and word processing, otherwise it's off to the
library once it goes down for good.

A real libertarian would not even think of using a government service like this! ;)

Dang.... you can get a very nice PC from Fry's for less than $300 after rebates... they have one now with a 17" screen, new printer etc... for less than $300...

JG, how old is your PC, did you try reformating? If not, that should clean up a lot and get your PC running a lot faster and smoother. Just a thought

Quitting the monthly ISP fees, and freeing up time from an addictive habit may be good reasons to give up on PCs, but not corrupted files.

Depending what's causing the corruption and error messages, there's a good chance you can solve it by formatting the hard drive, and then reinstalling Windows. You need a Windows CD. A computer-type person would help, and they wouldn't need to be an expert. Really, you can do it yourself if necessary.

Make sure to first make two backups of any files you care about, and there's still the risk you'll forget to back some things up, and they'll be lost forever. (If that's important and you can afford it, buy a new hard drive and keep the old one in a static proof bag. Use someone who knows what they're doing to switch out the hard drives. They should try to avoid static electricity. Again, they don't need to be a real expert. If you read up on it a little, can do yourself.)

Spam (and maybe the unreliable email, which may or may not be fixed by formatting hard drive) is a different issue. Maybe someone can offer some tips there. Perhaps switching to Google mail or Yahoo mail would help the spam? (Remember, Galt isn't a tecchie, so complicated solutions might not be best.)

All: sorry for encouraging John! ;)

John,
You're not Rumsfeld; stay the course. Review your options and fix it. Go fishing on your own time. :)

I would think a mensa genius would be able to solve computer software and/or hardware problems pretty easily.

JG, you talk like you have one foot in the grave. No offense intended of course; I owe you honestly.

The day before i die, I'm going to be on top of my game.

I do believe that JG may have already left the building.

Oh and Azanon , it may be possible that he's just having a bad day. Believe me, I can relate since I'm having a bad week.

Azanon said:
The day before i die, I'm going to be on top of my game.

Of course. Because unlike the rest of the human population you are immune to disease, illness and other unpleasantries.

Do you have a gun or pill stockpiled where your DW can get them to you or shoot you, in case you wake up paralized tomorrow?

Sheryl said:
Of course. Because unlike the rest of the human population you are immune to disease, illness and other unpleasantries.

Do you have a gun or pill stockpiled where your DW can get them to you or shoot you, in case you wake up paralized tomorrow?

OUCH!...............You want to talk about it Sheryl? We're here for ya.

Sheryl said:

Too bad I'm married, cuz I'm in love........... :D :D :D

Mr._johngalt said:
I am pretty sure some of you will view this with mixed feelings :D, but my
PC is dying. Slowly. It's not a pretty sight. E-mail goes in and out and even when it works about all that comes through is SPAM. Lots of people have sent e-mail that never got to me and a lot of my outgoing did not get delivered. Error messages are piling up, files are corrupted. You get the idea.

I'm sure you already knew this, but just in case. Your PC is not dying. Your operating environment (OE) is. Sounds like your OE is seriously infected with viruses, malwares. You can always save all your personal files onto CDs/DVDs, wipe your hard disk clean, and reinstall the operating system.

My Dream said:
OUCH!...............You want to talk about it Sheryl? We're here for ya.
MyDream, when you've spent more time here you'll understand why someone with over a thousand posts is talking that way to Az & JG.

Nords said:
MyDream, when you've spent more time here you'll understand why someone with over a thousand posts is talking that way to Az & JG.

OOOOOOOOOOk then. Maybe I'm the one that needs to talk about it... :D

I've got $25 bucks to contribute to JG's new computer fund. Anyone want to match me?

Arc said:
I've got $25 bucks to contribute to JG's new computer fund. Anyone want to match me?

no, but I am sure we could start a fine collection for him to go away for good ;)

Arc said:

Sure, no problem.

Thank you for the response, the jabs, the jokes, the serious as well as
the mysterious. Re. my e-mail, I have received 350 spam letters in around
24 hours. Nothing else is getting through (in or out).

My fav. piece of advice came from my son........"Hey Dad, new Dells are
like $350. They have all the memory you can fill and go like stink. Get 'er done!" The Boy :D

JG

Hey . .. . it's a free market thing. The supply of JG must equal the demand for JG. Ohterwise, he wouldn't exist. Is this not right?

jeff2006 said:
Hey . .. . it's a free market thing. The supply of JG must equal the demand for JG. Ohterwise, he wouldn't exist. Is this not right?

Very poorly done. :D

JG

If I may ask 2 questions JG.
1. How old is your PC?
2. Has your PC ever been reformated?

Now if you're thinking of going the route of a new Dell, (very good brand) then you don't need to answer.

My Dream said:
OOOOOOOOOOk then. Maybe I'm the one that needs to talk about it... :D

To clarify, Az has posted things frequently about not suffering from ill health, and my response to his "Day before I die, be on top of my game" comment was really an honest (although annoyed) question. Just how is it he plans to do that?

My mother said the same thing for years, but she wound up hospitalized and unhappy for many months. But not sick enough that we could pull any plugs without being charged with murder.

I've always (46 y.o. now) been in very good health, and taken care of myself. Nonetheless I developed an autoimmune condition that can (but didn't (yet) in my case) paralize people literally overnight. With no warning.

So I guess I take it a little bit too personally when AZ seems confident, to the point of arrogance, that he is going to avoid all the pitfalls of life that we mortals are prone to.

Hope that explains that I'm not really the heartless witch my comment may have made me out to be.

Sheryl said:
Hope that explains that I'm not really the heartless witch my comment may have made me out to be.

As they say Sheryl, No worries M8T. I'm still not up on who's who, and who can get away with what, and so on, and so on. I've got so much to learn, even when it comes to chatting on this forum, or any forum for that matter.

PS. heartless witch never even entered my mind.

Back
Top Bottom