National Park Etiquette

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Am I missing some thing or do we need to start giving etiquette lessons to people who visit national parks?

This thought occurs to me for several reasons. Two are recent incidents in Yellowstone where one group intentionally wandered off the boardwalks to video themselves next to hot pools, geysers, etc. This was a clear violation of the warnings and maybe even the law. The other is the unfortunate death of a young man who fell into an acidic hot pool and was dissolved.

At other times in other parks I see people walking past ropes into meadows that are off-limits, people cut the switchbacks on trails, and don't even get started on how people get dangerously close to animals for photos and feeding. Then there are the dog owners who take their pets on trails in violation of the rules and often off-leash.

Humans have been around for over 100K years, and first started breaking rules about 5 minutes after the first rule was made. Some people can't help themselves. Darwin Awards take care of others. The rest sort of fall in the middle.

Last edited:
Am I missing some thing or do we need to start giving etiquette lessons to people who visit national parks?

This thought occurs to me for several reasons. Two are recent incidents in Yellowstone where one group intentionally wandered off the boardwalks to video themselves next to hot pools, geysers, etc. This was a clear violation of the warnings and maybe even the law. The other is the unfortunate death of a young man who fell into an acidic hot pool and was dissolved.

At other times in other parks I see people walking past ropes into meadows that are off-limits, people cut the switchbacks on trails, and don't even get started on how people get dangerously close to animals for photos and feeding. Then there are the dog owners who take their pets on trails in violation of the rules and often off-leash.

I think Darwin has a habit of straightening things out. Whether it is a bison, or a hot water pool, it works. Even Dean Potter found out why the park service bans certain activities.

It's everywhere. Not long ago on a state park trail I frequent, I saw 2 guys who had crawled over a fence so they could get a closer look at a gator. How stupid is that? This is the gator.........

Attachments

• 2015-04-08_09-38-04_884.jpg
    2015-04-08_09-38-04_884.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 47

You can't fix stoopid. With the direction that society seems to be taking the family of that young man will probably sue the park service and win.

Chuckanut - I hear you and agree with you. I hope these idiots don't make things even more restrictive for the rest of us. Often areas are roped off to allow meadows to establish/not get trampled, etc... Legitimate reasons. But some people blow it and the next step may be keeping the rest of us back even farther.

The same people who break the rules in the park probably don't follow rules when driving in traffic.... you know the folks... the ones who feel that the shoulder is a lane created just for them during stop and go traffic. The ones who feel that a 4 way stop always results in them being the first through the intersection...

Darwinism will only correct so much...

We were in park in FL , and the folks in the office had been more than clear about staying back from the gators. They were used to stupid folks so they warned everyone.
Folks don't realize how fast these sunbathing beauties can move.
Still while we were out I saw this. :facepalm:

Attachments

• P1260172.JPG
    P1260172.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 55
At age 6 we went to Yellowstone this was in '63. Bears all over the park and morons teasing them with food. At age 6 I knew these people were id10ts.

The majority of visitors to National Parks never get more than a few feet away from the road or parking lot, and many of them are clueless about nature, safety, etiquette, the rules, preserving the environment, etc. As a result, the most accessible parts of our National Parks are more like amusement parks than natural wonders.

A buddy and I were hiking in the Black Hills long ago and came around a switchback in the trail. 30 ft away was a bull elk. Apparently we froze quickly enough. After eyeing us for a 5-10 seconds he took one leap off the trail (had to be 10-15 feet) and down the hillside into thick forest. A stunningly magnificent animal that I'm glad didn't have any use for us.

The majority of visitors to National Parks never get more than a few feet away from the road or parking lot, and many of them are clueless about nature, safety, etiquette, the rules, preserving the environment, etc. As a result, the most accessible parts of our National Parks are more like amusement parks than natural wonders.
My observation, too. The good news is that if you can get at least 100 yards from the parking lot, you leave 95% of the idiots behind.

We saw it in Denali. Notwithstanding multiple oral and written warnings, people would go right up to moose, which can easily stomp you to death if they get annoyed.

They must think they're going to pet Bullwinkle and ask where Rocky is?

Amazing.

Too many rules. Let the bozos do what they will, let nature take the revenge. And don't spend any affort to save the fools. Who said it? Stupid is as stupid does.

I recall one moron tree hugger wanting to experience closeness with bears. He camped on a well worn Brown bear trail. He got his wish, the bear ate him, thus becoming one with the bear. As output from the bear he became one with the soil.

The parts of Alaska I spent much time in (around 14 years) have no posted rules, if one is dumb, unprepared, uninformed or brave, nature has unforgiving lessons to mete out. In none of the pleces I spent time could one reach 911.

Actually I am sick of reading about rescuing morons. They should be left to die.

Kind of like the favorite saying up there: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.

... Two are recent incidents in Yellowstone where one group intentionally wandered off the boardwalks to video themselves next to hot pools, geysers, etc... The other is the unfortunate death of a young man who fell into an acidic hot pool and was dissolved.

In Yellowstone, we saw an early-teenage boy jumping off the boardwalk to wander off into the geyser area, despite the posted signs warning of danger. Other visitors yelled to him to get out. His father was there and told him to ignore the warning. I heard clearly that he said "they are just jealous".

I was in shock. Jealous of what? With a father like that, the chance of this boy living to an adult age would be greatly diminished.

Last edited:
Too many rules. Let the bozos do what they will, let nature take the revenge. And don't spend any affort to save the fools. Who said it? Stupid is as stupid does.

I recall one moron tree hugger wanting to experience closeness with bears. He camped on a well worn Brown bear trail. He got his wish, the bear ate him, thus becoming one with the bear. As output from the bear he became one with the soil.

The parts of Alaska I spent much time in (around 14 years) have no posted rules, if one is dumb, unprepared, uninformed or brave, nature has unforgiving lessons to mete out. In none of the pleces I spent time could one reach 911.

Actually I am sick of reading about rescuing morons. They should be left to die.

Kind of like the favorite saying up there: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.

Yup. Natural consequences.

In Yellowstone, we saw an early-teenage boy jumping off the boardwalk to wander off into the geyser area, despite the posted signs warning of danger. Other visitors yelled to him to get out. His father was there and told him to ignore the warning. I heard clearly that he said "they are just jealous".

I was in shock. Jealous of what? With a father like that, the chance of this boy living to an adult age would be greatly diminished.
At a campground on the Alaskan Highway, I saw two young boys throwing stones at a bear in their campsite. Their dad was behind them with a video camera, making sure their stupidity was preserved for the ages. :facepalm:

+1

Just got back from a week in St John, many hikes, snorkeling and kayaking... More than once on some of the hikes we said the trails would have been roped off and sterilized if they were in a national park in the continental US.

I remember when visiting Big Bend National Park (Tx), I saw signs on certain trails warning you that no pets are allowed and to pickup and carry your kids due to concerns with Bears and Mountain Lions in the area. WTF! So do they think that the bears and lions won't attack adults? (Yes I know why they tell you to pick up your kids) They even say that if you encounter a bear or lion, not to run away but to walk away slowly and/or throw rocks at them to scare them off. :LOL: You can bet I'll be throwing something if a bear or lion comes at me. Weight of object 240 gains, speed of object ~1500 fps. Repeat if necessary.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think some people think Yellowstone is just a big outdoors zoo and that wild animals are harmless.

Something comes to mind about a Japanese family taking their kid over to a huge bison bull so they could snap a picture. But I don't think I witnessed that but rather heard about it.

I do remember being in a parking lot where a mama bear and two cubs where feasting on rose hips across the road, and the NP service rangers where having to corral the audience and keep them from crossing the road and getting to close.

Last edited:
Part of the challenge at National Parks is the relatively easy access to natural beauty. I believe it is a good thing that, for example, there is a road into the Yosemite Valley and shuttle buses in Zion. Because of the access, millions of people have been able to enjoy / gaze in wonder at some of the most amazing views I have ever seen. But, easy access also makes it easier for the idiots to visit.

Hopefully, for every numbskull who goes around barriers or carves graffiti into a rock, there are many people who are inspired to learn more about the outdoors and become friends / caretakers of it.

You can bet I'll be throwing something if a bear or lion comes at me. Weight of object 240 gains, speed of object ~1500 fps. Repeat if necessary.

From the US Fish and Wildlife Services:

The question is not one of marksmanship or clear thinking in the face of a growling bear, for even a skilled marksman with steady nerves may have a slim chance of deterring a bear attack with a gun. Law enforcement agents for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have experience that supports this reality -- based on their investigations of human-bear encounters since 1992, persons encountering grizzlies and defending themselves with firearms suffer injury about 50% of the time. During the same period, persons defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time, and those that were injured experienced shorter duration attacks and less severe injuries. Canadian bear biologist Dr. Stephen Herrero reached similar conclusions based on his own research -- a person’s chance of incurring serious injury froma charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear spray is used.

As a father of boys that went through the teen aged years, I can empathize with the father of this boy. I can only imagine the father of girls would have actually been cheering the young man on.

These days, both my boys tell their own children that they are to listen to gramma when they leave them with us.

Back
Top Bottom