Trekking Poles

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a brand new set of carbon fiber hiking poles that come with an two sets of rubber tips. One sit is the normal round tip people use on hiking sticks and poles. The other is a set of boot tips, that vaguely resemble a very small hiking boot.

I am tempted to user the round tips as that is what I am familiar with. But, I am wondering if the boot tips have any advantages. Alas, the instruction sheet does not have much information except for how to put them on and take them off the poles.

If you have trekking poles with boot tips, under what conditions would you choose to use the boot tips?

FWIW, I will use the poles mostly on a variety of trails in the forest and deserts of our national parks.

I don't know anything about the boot tips, but I have round rubber tips (1" chair leg tips) on all of my hiking sticks. DW uses rubber tips on her trekking poles and they work great as well on forest and desert hiking trails.

No type of sticks/ poles work well traversing boulders IMO.

Seems to me ice would be a good time to use them. Wider base gives more stability.

Seems to me ice would be a good time to use them. Wider base gives more stability.
Probably spikes are exposed when the rubber tips are removed. A much better choice for ice.

Back
Top Bottom