Join Early Retirement Today

new deep freeze or keep the old
Old 08-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

new deep freeze or keep the old

I have a 20 cu. ft. chest freezer that is 35 yrs old and was having a thermostat problem with it. I can fix the freezer for 25 dollars. Then I started to check out the new freezers and the operating costs. My freezer takes 4.08 kwh per day according to the kill-a-watt reading. at .10 per kwh that figures out to 147. a year to run it. the energy star site says the new ones of that size will run for about 63 dollars a year. I was wonder in if any of you had a newer freezer of comparable size that you have ever checked to see what power it actually consumes. If the new ones actually run that much cheaper it would only take 5 years to recover the cost of a new one. what do you think? thanks

frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the energy star ratings are pretty reliable, except that from what I understand, they don't include things like ice-makers, which can use a lot of power - but that's probably not an issue in a deep freeze like you are looking at.

One question is - was your kill-a-watt reading made when the thermostat was broken? That could throw you way off. IME, a freezer will run about 50% on/off, so if you take the running watts and divide by two, you might be close - but that assumes the 50/50 cycle.

Our freezer is abut 30 YO, and I would put a new $25 part in it. I know it's been reliable for 30 years, not sure of the new ones. But mine is only using ~ $7/month now, so the payback would be pretty long.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #3

For $25 I'd fix it. Sadly, you can bet a replacement freezer won't last 35 years.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

thanks guys for the replies. never thought about the fifty fifty duty cycle good thing clearer minds on here.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote