NFL: 2016 Season

If the Pats beat the Texans with Brissett as their starting QB it would be another great coaching job by Belichick.

Posters who have been absent lately from this thread claimed that Belichick can't win without Brady. He is now 13-5 without him.
I've long said the opposite -- that Brady, while an excellent QB, is a bit overrated because he's in a system where even Matt Cassel could go 11-5 in the year Brady was injured. This team can win with pretty much any QB.

For the Pats, that's a good luxury to have. That is, can win with all QBs regardless of more the system or QB

Yeah. Most experts picked them to go 2-2 in Brady's absence and it looks like they will go 4-0 with Buffalo next on their schedule. They will do it with the second and third string QBs.

You don't do this in this league by luck. I realize that a lot people outside NE hate Belichick for his arrogance and pushing the envelop on the rules but they can't deny he's the best coach in the game today.

Yeah. Most experts picked them to go 2-2 in Brady's absence and it looks like they will go 4-0 with Buffalo next on their schedule. They will do it with the second and third string QBs.

You don't do this in this league by luck. I realize that a lot people outside NE hate Belichick for his arrogance and pushing the envelop on the rules but they can't deny he's the best coach in the game today.

Its definitely a quiet arrogance and not bravado. If he could have his way he would just prefer to be left alone especially from media. I cant believe the media still thinks he is going to get tripped up and may say something at a presser. It isnt going to happen, he is a machine.

I hope they do go 4-0... it will be like figuratively flipping the bird to Roger Goodell and the other haters.

The game last night was another embarrassment for Houston. Why am I surprised. :nonono: They played so well the last weekend (just 5 days ago) and now this "disaster" (to coin a current phrase). Personally, I don't "hate" (but don't like) the Pats, Brady or Belicheat. However, the term "arrogance" does seem to fit Belichick. That term seems to fit a lot of successful people in recent and current history in many "walks of life".

The only thing I can hope for now to "take them down a notch" is that the Pats win one more game and then lose the first game when Brady returns from his suspension. Probably won't happen but that would "make my day".

Last edited:
I've long said the opposite -- that Brady, while an excellent QB, is a bit overrated because he's in a system where even Matt Cassel could go 11-5 in the year Brady was injured. This team can win with pretty much any QB.

I think a good comparison with Brady and the Pats' system is in the Pats with Joe Montana. I remember watching some program saying that the Bill Walsh system was the perfect system for Montana to succeed in. But then again, an argument was made that Montana was the best QB ever.

.... However, the term "arrogance" does seem to fit Belichick. ...

There is a thin line between confidence and arrogance.

Given the high level of successful results that he and the Patriots have had, I don't see much arrogance there... they are (at least publicly but I suspect privately as well) quite respectful of their competitors and rarely boastful.

Full Definition of arrogant
  1. exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner <an arrogant official>
  2. showing an offensive attitude of superiority : proceeding from or characterized by arrogance <an arrogant reply>

Given the high level of successful results that he and the Patriots have had, I don't see much arrogance there... they are (at least publicly but I suspect privately as well) quite respectful of their competitors and rarely boastful.
I just noticed that you are from the Northern New England area..... Now I understand! :rolleyes:

Here's the first two links (of 1000's) from a Google search on "Belichick arrogance".

http://www.espn.com/boston/nfl/stor...e-new-england-patriots-arrogance-consequences

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/bill-belichick-pete-carroll-super-bowl-root-spread-what-time

Last edited:
The game last night was another embarrassment for Houston. Why am I surprised. :nonono: They played so well the last weekend (just 5 days ago) and now this "disaster" (to coin a current phrase).

As much as the Pats looked formidable in the win the Texans looked awful. The play calling was atrocious. You have an $18 Million QB and you run the ball on third and 8 when you're 13 points behind:confused:

The only way to beat the Pats in Foxboro which doesn't happen often is to be aggressive as the 49ers did a few years ago under Jim Harbaugh after they took a big lead throwing the football when the Pats come back fell short in OT.

This team can win with pretty much any QB.

I guess they may have to do it one more time next Sunday against the Bills since Brissett tore ligament in the index finger in his throwing hand and may require surgery.

I guess they may have to do it one more time next Sunday against the Bills since Brissett tore ligament in the index finger in his throwing hand and may require surgery.

So much for the Brissett era. If Jimmy G. can't go, looks like the Pats will either use Edelman (might be fun/funny to watch) or hire a QB for 1 week before Brady returns.

Problem solved!!! The Patriots just signed a new quarterback for week 4.... a relative unknown named Tim Grady....

CtD5nxLXgAAKSoy.jpg

Last edited:

As some people say.... it is not arrogance if you can back it up... then again...

Definition:
offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.

Not a Patriot fan here, but it is quite obvious that Belechik is the best NFL coach since Vince Lombardi. That doesn't mean you have to like him, but it's the truth.

I'm thinking because I watched the Eagles/Bears game, Connor Barth missed a chip shot field goal. Then Carson Wentz was picking the Bears apart. I must have had the same feeling :facepalm: of both events and got their names confused. That's what I'll conclude. :(.

Barth for Barwin could have been your app using autocorrect automatically, right?

Barth for Barwin could have been your app using autocorrect automatically, right?

Nope. I'm probably a dying breed who enters text using a computer instead of via app and auto correct :D.

It would really be fun to see Edelman, he's a real gamer.

Agreed... I'm not sure how well he can pass but his mobility would keep a defense on its toes. I can't imagine him sliding on a scramble as he seems to like to hit and get hit. Tough little dude.

That said, IIRC he has on NFL pass attempt that was completed for a touchdown so he may not want to spoil his perfect record. While I recall the flea-flicker pass interestingly, his passing stats show no attempts.

Back
Top Bottom