NFL: 2016 Season

Birdie Num Nums

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
header-shield.png

I thought I'd start this season thread earlier than usual, considering that the NFL draft is this weekend, and today: "The U.S. Court of Appeals handed down a decision on Monday morning that will reinstate the four-game suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for his connection to deflated footballs used in the AFC Championship Game back in Jan. 2015." Full story here.

I hope this Brady debate doesn't start up again:face palm:

Any how, who do you think your team will draft in the first round. For the Cowboys there seems to be no certainty. Maybe Ramsey, Bosa, Elliot, Lynch or trade down to a later pick for their no 4 pick:confused:

Maybe the Tom Brady sketch artist will have another chance. :(

From the article and video, the message I got is that the players, no matter how high profile, are just a numbers to the NFL.

Any how, who do you think your team will draft in the first round. For the Cowboys there seems to be no certainty. Maybe Ramsey, Bosa, Elliot, Lynch or trade down to a later pick for their no 4 pick:confused:

Just pick the guy with the longest criminal record... 😇

Packers always go with defensive on day 1 and it looks like that will continue even though I think they need offensive line help more than anything else. Rodgers was pressured far too often. Even with Jordy Nelson coming back Rodgers still needs more time in the pocket to be at his best efficiency.

I already have my first season win total bet in. Atlanta Falcons 7 over. Since its flat it will take 6-10 to lose the bet. Lazy NFL reporting have the Falcons as the toughest 2016 schedule based on strength of schedule...BS...30-2 of that is Carolina only (who they beat last year). 9 of the 16 games are with sub .500 records from last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny that a chunk of this thread references legal issues. :)

So, I can't help myself. Looks like Johnny Football is in hot water again. Any thoughts on where he lands? Any NFL team? The Canadian Football League? Jail? Retires waiting to inherit is parents money? :)

Johnny will be one of the following:

A. Locked up
B. Covered up
C. Sobered up

Only option C has him back on the field.

Johnny B Bad

I wonder when the Browns are going to sue for some of their signing bonus back.

Last edited:
Johnny will be one of the following:

A. Locked up
B. Covered up
C. Sobered up

Only option C has him back on the field.

Sadly, I think the probability goes B, A, then C.

Even his father said please do something to help this train wreck or he doesn't expect Johnny [-]Mess Up[/-] Football to make his next birthday.

Cover up is not possible as he's already been indicted, so he is likely going to be facing possible jail time/fine. I would think if he squeezes in some rehab before his court case, he might help himself by seeking that immediately.

I think 'Covered up' might have had something to do with 6 feet of dirt. Could be wrong though.

I think 'Covered up' might have had something to do with 6 feet of dirt. Could be wrong though.

Sadly you are right. Covered up by 6 feet of dirt.

The other question about the draft is do you draft based on need or best available player? I heard a Jerry/Steven Jones press conference the other day, and they seemed to be indicating draft best available player regardless of need. Heck the Cowboys have CB, DE, RB, QB need, thats a lot of needs. Also, they have a need for a better drug/character building counselor.

Most GM's always say to take the best player available. To pick a specific positional need leads to reaching in the draft and taking someone in a higher slot then their talent supports.

I think this is easier said than done in practice. For example the Bears need defensive help across the board, big time. They are talking about the running back from O-State might slip to 11. He would be best player available probably but I don't see the immediate need. Guess that is why they make the big money.

Or, if you have a lot of holes, do you trade down for more picks?

But even trading down, you still have to decide whether to select best available player or fill a specific hole. When I think about it, its not such an easy decision.

It's kind of a combination but overall, IMO you need to take best available and hope that he develops the best and puts you in a position of strength to trade an asset to fill a hole.
I suspect it gets harder in the later rounds to determine who the standouts are and who will develop the best so you get into situation where you're more inclined to select based on position if there is are comparable players.

Colts just signed Luck to a 6 Yr, $140M deal. Luck has a lot of upward potential, but I think the Colts overpaid. But I guess a team has to dole out money to keep someone from looking for greener pastures.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has signed a record contract that keeps him with the franchise through 2021, the team announced Wednesday afternoon.

Team owner Jim Irsay revealed the new pact is worth $140 million over six years. The $23.3 million average annual salary is the highest in NFL history.

Colts lock up QB Andrew Luck with record six-year, $140 million deal

Back
Top Bottom