NFL

Ouch. But it seems like the Cowboys mantra under Jerry Jones should be "8-8 Forever". I doubt that any other team in NFL history has finished exactly .500 three years running and thus reached the pinnacle of mediocrity.
Funny you say that Ziggy. I was thinking that this past summer, they should have been 12-4 with all the bad luck breaks they got. No way it happens this year. I swear I watch the same season over and over with them.

BeeJUf4CYAAOOo6.jpg

I'm hearing that the NFL has announced a few changes in the big game:

• Kickoff has been moved to 4:20
  • Dunkin Donuts has been named the sponsor of a reorganized Bud Bowl
  • The local arrangements committee promises that Met Life Stadium will have plenty of natural grass
  • Frito Lay has purchased every single one of the commercial spots available
  • Pink Floyd and Willie Nelson will replace Bruno Mars as the halftime entertainment.
  • Snoop Dogg gets the national anthem.
  • The Washington and Colorado governors will make a very unique bet...
  • The winning team will wear official NFL Champion baja hoodies for the trophy presentation

Funny you say that Ziggy. I was thinking that this past summer, they should have been 12-4 with all the bad luck breaks they got. No way it happens this year. I swear I watch the same season over and over with them.
I did a little more Googling, and surprisingly the current Cowboys are actually the *third* team in NFL history to log three straight .500 seasons (none has ever done it four times). The first was the 1983-85 Packers, and the second was the 1996-98 Houston/Tennessee Oilers. Still, to add to the recent Dallas resume of mediocrity, the Cowboys record since 1997? 136 wins, 136 losses.

While an avid Pats fan, I concede that Denver and Seattle are the cream of the 2013-14 crop and they showed it this weekend (though I thought the 49ers looked real strong too). I was inclined to root against Denver but my despise of Pete Carroll and this ding-bat classless Sherman clown trump my dislike of Peyton/Welker so I guess I will be rooting for Denver, "without enthusiasm".

I thought Orton played great in a tough situation in that last Cowboys game other than that last pass being a foot or so behind the receiver.

While an avid Pats fan, I concede that Denver and Seattle are the cream of the 2013-14 crop and they showed it this weekend (though I thought the 49ers looked real strong too). I was inclined to root against Denver but my despise of Pete Carroll and this ding-bat classless Sherman clown trump my dislike of Peyton/Welker so I guess I will be rooting for Denver, "without enthusiasm".

I thought Orton played great in a tough situation in that last Cowboys game other than that last pass being a foot or so behind the receiver.

Orton is a really good backup. I think there should be a quarterback controversy in Dallas :LOL:

Sherman is playing the crowds no dummy its good for ratings and the added color shows what competition is all about. Would you like to watch lay ups or some dunks in your face.
If he eats his words it still has some really good special spirit for the great super bowl. Hawks 34 Ponies 17

Sherman is playing the crowds no dummy its good for ratings and the added color shows what competition is all about. Would you like to watch lay ups or some dunks in your face.
If he eats his words it still has some really good special spirit for the great super bowl. Hawks 34 Ponies 17
+1......I for one would love to see Manning on his derriere all afternoon

In communications...

Well, if you've heard anything from him well after the game was over, it would make sense. He is very bright and well-spoken and chooses words carefully. He just utterly and completely lost it when he was jacked up on emotions and adrenaline. He was still in full-on trash-talk mode when the immediate post-game interview took place and hadn't come down to switch gears.

I think it's refreshing that he hasn't apologized about what he said regarding Crabtree -- which I take to mean that he still "owns" those words. All he apologized for was taking attention away from his team and what they accomplished, and placed almost all of it on him. I can respect that.

Last edited:
Until the Cowboy's market value (#1 franchise) takes a hit, Jerry has no incentive to disengage himself from his role as general manager. I just wish they would have a bad year in terms of merchandise, advertising and ticket sales and then maybe Jerry might get the message. Until then, Cowboys will continue to flounder in mediocrity. Even when Jerry kicks the bucket, you have Steven waiting in the wings, and I have no reason to believe he would be any different.

As for the last season, I was hoping they would lose more games to get higher draft pic, but they'd probably mess that up as well.

As to Romo, and although its always a crapshoot, IMHO, its time for the Cowboys to draft a young QB.

Until the Cowboy's market value (#1 franchise) takes a hit, Jerry has no incentive to disengage himself from his role as general manager. I just wish they would have a bad year in terms of merchandise, advertising and ticket sales and then maybe Jerry might get the message. Until then, Cowboys will continue to flounder in mediocrity. Even when Jerry kicks the bucket, you have Steven waiting in the wings, and I have no reason to believe he would be any different.

As for the last season, I was hoping they would lose more games to get higher draft pic, but they'd probably mess that up as well.

As to Romo, and although its always a crapshoot, IMHO, its time for the Cowboys to draft a young QB.

Yeah, going 8-8 or 9-7 and just missing the playoffs can sometimes suck more than going 2-14, especially where the draft is concerned. (Just ask the Colts, who were awful for one year and got Andrew Luck to show for it.) And the Cowboys have mastered missing the playoffs at 8-8. The entire Jerry Jones era, with a couple of significantly better and significantly worse exceptions, has been marked by remarkably consistent mediocrity.

Last edited:
Until the Cowboy's market value (#1 franchise) takes a hit, Jerry has no incentive to disengage himself from his role as general manager. I just wish they would have a bad year in terms of merchandise, advertising and ticket sales and then maybe Jerry might get the message. Until then, Cowboys will continue to flounder in mediocrity. Even when Jerry kicks the bucket, you have Steven waiting in the wings, and I have no reason to believe he would be any different. As for the last season, I was hoping they would lose more games to get higher draft pic, but they'd probably mess that up as well. As to Romo, and although its always a crapshoot, IMHO, its time for the Cowboys to draft a young QB.

Jerry has lost his mind. Just in effect demoted his offensive and defensive coordinators, promoted the line coach over Kiffin, and brought in another "play caller" to supersede the original demoted play caller (Garrett) and this years play caller (Callahan). When you break up with a girl you cut the cord completely, you don't feel sorry for her and let her tag along and watch you with another lady.

Jerry has lost his mind. Just in effect demoted his offensive and defensive coordinators, promoted the line coach over Kiffin, and brought in another "play caller" to supersede the original demoted play caller (Garrett) and this years play caller (Callahan). When you break up with a girl you cut the cord completely, you don't feel sorry for her and let her tag along and watch you with another lady.

Lost his mind, I didn't think he had one in a football sense in the first place:LOL:. Nevertheless, he will still be directing the show through however many coaches he puts in place.

I thought it would interesting to tally the votes in this thread. Then I realized there were still 8 teams at the time, not 4. Plus several "not XXX" comments. I gave up (told you about this laziness problem).

I will note that Mr Midpack made the correct prediction for SB teams wayyy back then.

I thought it would interesting to tally the votes in this thread. Then I realized there were still 8 teams at the time, not 4. Plus several "not XXX" comments. I gave up (told you about this laziness problem).

I will note that Mr Midpack made the correct prediction for SB teams wayyy back then.

Oops! It was ripper1! But you were hot on the trail, Midpack!

Well, if you've heard anything from him well after the game was over, it would make sense. He is very bright and well-spoken and chooses words carefully. He just utterly and completely lost it when he was jacked up on emotions and adrenaline. He was still in full-on trash-talk mode when the immediate post-game interview took place and hadn't come down to switch gears.

I think it's refreshing that he hasn't apologized about what he said regarding Crabtree -- which I take to mean that he still "owns" those words. All he apologized for was taking attention away from his team and what they accomplished, and placed almost all of it on him. I can respect that.

I have heard him speak, and he seems reasonably well-spoken. My post about the comm degree was meant in jest, though I'm sure a comm degree at Stanford is more difficult than a comm degree at Party State U.

As for his "rant", wtf ever... If I wanted to watched a bunch of show-offs full of bluster and self-promotion, I'd watch rasslin'. I have more respect for a humble, soft-spoken athlete, not one pointing out how "great" he is. Perhaps that's just me; if so, so be it.

Who will win Super Bowl #48: Denver or Seattle? (Denver has the NFL's #1 Ranked Offense, as many of you know, while Seattle has the #1 Defense.)

Peyton Manning is a great QB; there's no denying that, especially this season. But 14 of Denver's 18 games (regular & post-season) were vs. teams whose defenses were ranked in the NFL's bottom 15 defense teams (which = a soft schedule, to me). Seattle has faced much tougher defense opponents, especially in their last six games, and won.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Seattle
Best defense beats best offense the majority of the time, especially in big match ups.

Back
Top Bottom