Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
. What if some board lurkers happen to live in my neighborhood and I have posted something to piss them off in the past?
Park it in my driveway for the pictures if you want. You won't have to worry about the "what if"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Park it in my driveway for the pictures if you want. You won't have to worry about the "what if"
Oh, thank you for the offer. But it is not just the house I do not want to publicize.

I have been thinking that perhaps my RV and I should remain anonymous. It is fun to be a bit secretive and mischievous, just like some people here who have been surfing the forum with their cloaking option turned on.

Heh heh heh... In their RV travel now, they will have to wonder if the nerdy-looking guy with a class C parked two rows down from them might just be NW-B.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
[Beavis-Butthead]Heh-heh... he said Onan... (*snicker*)[/Beavis-Butthead]

It makes me think of the company founders picking a name by consulting the Bible. "Hey, nobody's used 'Onan' yet!" How appropriate for a pull-to-start generator.

OK, sorry for the hijack, back to generator maintenance!
No one will ever confuse me with an expert on Biblical references! Just picked up and added the word "onanism" to my vocabulary.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I have not done much on the RV, other than installing the rearview camera. The LCD monitor, I have not found a way to install it permanently yet.

I pried off the SS "wheel simulators" (got to love this RV parlance ), and was able to check tire pressures of the dually rear tires with a newly purchased gauge that is fancier than any I ever needed to own).

I will try to remove a window frame today, then reinstall it with butyl putty tape. Can't drive it up to OR and WA states with any hint of a leak at all, don't you agree?

I need help here! It did not come with a tire-changing jack. The RV got to come with one, right? After all, there is a spare tire. I have been looking for a scissor jack on eBay, but they all appear to be 2-ton, and I think I would need more. Usually I use floorjacks for my car repair, but do not own one beefy enough to trust to this job. What do you RV'ers do? Rely on road assistance?

I believe that with a class A, one cannot change the flat tire himself, but it is possible with the class C and I am of the type who likes to be self-reliant.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I need help here! It did not come with a tire-changing jack. The RV got to come with one, right? After all, there is a spare tire. I have been looking for a scissor jack on eBay, but they appear to be all 2-ton, and I think I would need more. Usually I only use floorjacks for my car repair, but do not own one beefy enough to trust to this job. What do you RV'er do? Rely on road assistance?
Two, most likely, dumb questions but...

1. Did you look in the engine compartment?

2. Did your unit come with an "Owner's" Manual? If not, would one be available on-line?

As I wrote this, I wondered if there is website dedicated to <your make/model> owners? I would ask there if it exists.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Did you look under the front passenger seat?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The RV came with a plastic pouch with a lot of manuals. The only thing that would be relevant is the one from GM regarding the engine and chassis maintenance. The location they described for the jack storage does not apply to this cab cut-away chassis.

The remaining manuals were really appliance manuals like microwave, water heater, etc... and there is no manual that describes the overall "house portion" of the RV. There must be something missing. But I have found hospital and general health care info (not personal info) left in there. Must be one of those "sad" RV owners again, as described in another thread.

By the way, I did not buy from the owner, but from a reseller. So I couldn't call for info. Perhaps the previous owner would not be able to use it anyway, and planned on calling for roadside assistance, so left all the tire-changing kit out of the RV basement compartment to save weight.

From the picture in the GM chassis manual, the factory scissor jack does not look much different than the ones I had in the past. Perhaps a 2-ton capacity is all I really need. I will bring some jack stands to be sure. Thought about buying an 4-ton floorjack (I already have a pair of 2-ton floorjacks), but these things are heavy.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Another disappointment regarding the resetting of the RV windows. From this youtube video, I asked myself how hard it could be.

Well, the g*d-d*** thing is stuck to the wall of the RV, instead of falling "right out" like the guy in the video demonstrated. What kind of glue did this RV maker use? Grrrr...

After pounding from the inside with my fist (my wife is outside on a ladder trying to catch it), then prying with a crowbar, I decided that it would be dumb if I should break a window, or dented the wall of the RV before even taking a trip. So, back to scratching my head on what would be the best caulk to use. It's a good thing I try a small window first, instead of tackling the bigger and longer ones.

Help!!! What brand of silicone caulk is best for exterior use that money can buy?

And what are other uses of butyl putty tape (that I paid $20 for a roll)?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #49

I'd suggest going over to iRV2 or similar forum, posting what type Class C you have and asking other owners where their jack is stowed.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

How about my "caulk" question? :-)
Old 03-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How about my "caulk" question? :-)

Good question.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #52

Quote:
Help!!! What brand of silicone caulk is best for exterior use that money can buy?
Silicone caulk isn't highly recommended by many RV maintenance types since it does not stick to itself. This means if your caulking application doesn't quite do the job you must remove ALL the silicone before re-caulking - and you will eventually need to do so at some point. Can be a real PITA.

I use an adhesive caulk such as Polyseamseal (Lowes, Home Depot) or Proflex (Camping World) on my side seams and around windows - not for the roof.

BTW, be sure to seal only around the sides and top of your windows, not the bottom where most have weep holes to vent moisture.

Quote:
And what are other uses of butyl putty tape?
Don't have a clue - I usually stick with padded handcuffs...

Old 03-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Did you look under the front passenger seat?
[*snort*] Yeah right, that'd be the first place I'd look for a tire jack. Sure.

It must be like learning how to drive all over again. Only with more sewage.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Here is another thing I found about this RV, when going over everything carefully.

The propane gas leak detector mounted low near the stove did not have its indicator on. So, I pulled it and looked at the wiring. It has one black wire for ground, and two red wires for 12V. The "sticky" label in the back said it should be wired to two sources of 12V (read house and car engine batteries) for safety reasons. Great! I have more confidence in the ability of this industry to come up with safe designs.

But why wasn't the indicator light on? A check with a voltmeter showed both red wires were dead. After taking out my wire tracer, and spending 45 min, I found that those wires went under the floor, then to the power panel under the dinette seat. OK, there are some inline fuses here, but they aren't blown. Then where do they go next?

Nope, they weren't wired to the fuse and breaker panel, but went under the floor again. After some more tracing, I found where they went. Can you guess?

They were both wired to the control relay that connected the house battery to the engine alternator. They only got power when the RV engine was running!

Could you believe that? A propane gas leak detector with its dual redundant power leads for safety got totally miswired. Was the wiring rerouted wrongly by the previous owner, or by an earlier mechanic? If so, why? Or did it leave the factory like this? What do you think?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
[*snort*] Yeah right, that'd be the first place I'd look for a tire jack. Sure.
It must be like learning how to drive all over again. Only with more sewage.
Ahem...

The reason for my question is many Class C's are built on a Ford chassis and my Ford F-150 has the jack mounted under the passenger seat - right above the sewage tank!

Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Could you believe that? A propane gas leak detector with its dual redundant power leads for safety got totally miswired. Was the wiring rerouted wrongly by the previous owner, or by an earlier mechanic? If so, why? Or did it leave the factory like this? What do you think?
I suspect wiring for operating the leak detector while boondocking was an upgrade option the original owner didn't spring for.

BTW, did you notice a warning label on your leak detector saying the unit should be replaced every five years?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I suspect wiring for operating the leak detector while boondocking was an upgrade option the original owner didn't spring for.
It did not get power with the house battery, nor the car battery, nor the generator, nor the external shore power. Only when the engine was running!

About replacing it, no there was no warning label. But as it was hardly ever powered up, it should be good as new, right?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I was able to get my gas leak detector to go off by simmering wine on the stove. (I was making poached pears). Just in case you needed to test it.

Audrey
Old 03-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

One poached pear coming up...

How about another question? Found 4 bottles of different car waxes in my garage cabinet. As I stopped waxing my cars 15 (20?) years ago, the fact that there's still some liquid in 2 of them is simply astounding, given the "dry heat" of AZ. The fiberglass wall of the RV looks dull, compared to the painted surfaces of my cars, so I thought about giving it a nice treatment (I know, I know, I shouldn't be giving all my attention to the new toy and ignoring the old ones).

Here's my question. The instructions on the wax containers all say "Good for fiberglass. Do not use on vinyl decals and plastics". So, any of you RV'ers out there with cheapo decal graphics and not painted-on fancy designs, what do you use for waxing, if you do that all all?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #60

Quote:
Here's my question. The instructions on the wax containers all say "Good for fiberglass. Do not use on vinyl decals and plastics". So, any of you RV'ers out there with cheapo decal graphics and not painted-on fancy designs, what do you use for waxing, if you do that all all?
Although I've tried a couple of products, I've had little luck in using any sort of wax to brighten up the dull "gel coat" fiberglass finish. I tried Nu-Finish ("wax") and Gel-Gloss (fiberglass polish) and while neither harmed my "cheapo decal graphics", neither did much in the way of shining the fiberglass surface.

I hear this stuff does a really good job but it is pricey and I haven't given it a try.