No, you can't name your kid that...

It's become popular to give your Hawaii-born kids a long Hawaiian middle name with significant meaning. We never did that for ours, so for a number of years she was considering giving herself a new Hawaiian middle name like her friends.

Then, during those vulnerable teen-grrrl years, she became enamored of the Haupialani brand of ice cream. I suggested that'd make a wonderful Hawaiian middle name, and at first she enthusiastically agreed.

I was smirking about it for almost a week before she figured out that one translation could be "heavenly coconuts". My longevity has been deemed contingent upon never telling this story to potential boyfriends.

That's funny!:LOL:

My name is Martha.

My father called me 3M.

I know a Blaze. His brother's name is Rain. My sister went to school with a good Finnish boy named Marco Polo.

As a resident in an inner city hospital, I met a baby which Mom named Placenta. She heard the word during childbirth and liked the sound. She didn't change her mind even after some gentle education.

My wife once found the first name "LaTrina" in a Wash Post article. We loved that one.

Mike D.

And then there's Melaena

(look it up)

Loved the Seinfeld episode where George suggested the names "Soda" and "Seven" for babies. And Jerry started making suggestions of his own, based on things he found in the kitchen - "Ketchup", and "Gherkin" and I forget what all. I still laugh hysterically every time that episode is on.

I wish I knew the first names of the members of this forum.
I thought everyone here used their real names...:(

Heh...after looking at this thread, there are 3 first names....but are they really the names of the members.....
clip_image001.gif
Lemme guess. That’d be Dawg, Finance and Gumby? Or ha, Independently and kumquat. Too many possibilities. Give us a hint...:confused:

A former cow erker of mine's husband had a girl in his class (he's a teacher) named Female (rhymes with Tamale). Supposedly the father saw that on the paperwork at the hospital and decided to use it. :nonono:

At least that satisfies the gender identification criterion. Was this child by any chance German?

Ha

I know someone called Candida.
How would you like to be called after a fungal infection?

Ha! I am notorious for checking internet BS on Snopes. However, since this was directly related to me (one degree of seperation) pre-WWW I never even considered it. Still, they didn't say it didn't happen, just that it wasn't likely to be through ignorance. :LOL:

A work example: I had a co-worker who "named" their son "7". Not the word seven spelled out, just the numeral. Eventually, he actually worked at our company.
Since we just spent some time in China, we ran across a whole group of people who have chosen English words as their first names - many of which aren't names at all. They typically pick them based on how they like the sound, without regard for their meaning. Some examples:
Big (man)
Mirror (woman)
Aroma (woman)
Sir (man)
Apple (woman)
Baron (man)
Mini (woman)
Rainbow (woman)
Fielding (man)
Feel (unknown - just from our office phone list)

Forgot the best one. An English teacher (friend of ours) in Beijing had a student who had taken "Hot Sauce" for her English name. Don't know if she was doing this as a come-on, or if she just liked it.
Several of our friends who are teaching English in China now have laid down rules for students in their classes who are adopting English names for the first time.

Forgot the best one. An English teacher (friend of ours) in Beijing had a student who had taken "Hot Sauce" for her English name. Don't know if she was doing this as a come-on, or if she just liked it.
Several of our friends who are teaching English in China now have laid down rules for students in their classes who are adopting English names for the first time.
Well, I do like the sound of Jalapeño..hmmmmm....

I know a guy named Peter Leech....Lives down the street from the McGroin Brothers, Rueben and Holden.:whistle:

Friend of ours taught twins who were named Lemonjello and Orangejello. Also had a girl in the class named L-a, pronounced Ladasha.

Judging by urban legends, there are hundreds of twins named Lemonjello and Orangejello

Back
Top Bottom