Join Early Retirement Today

Nuke Sub Crash (British and French)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nuke Sub Crash (British and French)

The story is about the crash of two nuke submarines: British and French nuclear submarines crash | The Sun |News

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OAG,
Why do you read the Sun?
Why do you read the Sun?
Why do you read the Sun?

=====
To others - the question is part of a hint to the answer.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #3

Sounds like as good a reason as any for the market to drop another 300 today.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Let's see...one was driving on the left and one was driving on the right. No?
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OAG,
Why do you read the Sun?
Why do you read the Sun?
Why do you read the Sun?
Because he needs his daily what-are-the-royals-doing-today fix?
Because he likes funny spellings?
Because he can't get the National Enquirer anymore?

NO! Because you don't READ the Sun:

[Moderator Edit: The following link is NOT safe for work]
Abby Essien Homepage Page3.com
Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Sounds like as good a reason as any for the market to drop another 300 today.

Tomorrow
Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Abby Essien Homepage Page3.com
Bingo.
What I like about that aspect of the paper is that they don't play any games or make a big deal about it; like Sports Illustrated or TV news during sweeps month when they do all those stories about breast enhancements or strip clubs.

The Sun says - you want to see topless women; here they are; now for the rest of the news.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #8

I always wondered why they don't have glass in the front so they can see where their going.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
OAG,
Why do you read the Sun?
Why do you read the Sun?
Why do you read the Sun?

=====
To others - the question is part of a hint to the answer.
Actually, I got to it through Drudge (which I do read several times a day). In any event the "crash" turns out to be minor according to this followup article (AP this time DEX): British French nuclear subs collide in Atlantic - Road Runner.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The tabloids everywhere seem to like this feature. e.g., Poletiken in Denmark, the Sun in Calgary, etc. I didn't know that OAG's Sun had it, but I figured it was there.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

P.S., Thank you, Moderator, for the added warning. :-)
Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Bummer. The NATO countries generally share info about who's where & when, but it's to the extent of saying "This volume of water, the size of the state of Kansas, might have a submarine in it during February. Or not. But you've been warned." Occasionally it's more specific, as "We're in this 20-mile-wide corridor going north at 10 knots. As far as you can tell." Occasionally the countries (or their militaries) play positioning games to literally mark some territory, or schedules change, or the crews screw up. Each sub should have been continuously copying a radio broadcast containing information on those sorts of movements. But information gets mislaid or improperly plotted.

At slow speeds it's easier to track the quiet spots against the ocean's background noise than it is to track the radiated acoustic signature. Neither one really works in a practical or timely manner. I bet neither one saw the other until they filled the sonar screens.

A whole bunch of submariners are going to be looking for new jobs this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
The Sun says - you want to see topless women; here they are; now for the rest of the news.
Ironically those pages 3 boosted the morale of quite a few U.S. Navy sailors during many 1980s boomer patrols out of Holy Loch. Squadron 14 submarines were sort of a mobile underwater Sun archive stretching back years. Just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I always wondered why they don't have glass in the front so they can see where their going.
Are we talking about the Sun or about their page 3 models?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #13

you would really think that they'd have some sort of sonar or something turned on at all times. isnt someone here a navy sub guy? fill us in...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #14

You submariners don't have cool crashes. You want a real crash? We space guys know how to do it.
SPACE.com -- Debris From Space Collision Poses Threat to Other Satellites
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
you would really think that they'd have some sort of sonar or something turned on at all times. isnt someone here a navy sub guy? fill us in...
These are ballistic missile subs, so they generally don't use their active sonar (ping, ping) when on patrol--that would let the bad guys find them easily. Kinda like shining a bright flashlight in a neighborhood of snipers. They just find a chunk of water and loaf about as quietly as possible. They passively listen for other "boomers" and attack subs, but this goes to show that the boomers are apparently darn hard to hear.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised that the satellites collided (there's a vast amount of space up there), and I'm surprised that the subs collided (a lot of space down there).

IOW, orbital space and oceans are a lot bigger than most people realize.

My uneducated guess is that the subs were aware of one another, and were playing some kind of cat and mouse game, and someone screwed up.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I was surprised that the satellites collided (there's a vast amount of space up there), and I'm surprised that the subs collided (a lot of space down there).
Yes and no. I can't speak to subs, but suspect a similar situation as in space.

There's a lot of volume in the oceans and in space, but there are preferred places to be, and that's where everyone more or less gathers. Satellite orbits used for geosynchronous communications, for example, have to be at around 40,000 km altitude, and around the equator. That's what makes the satellite appear to remain over the same spot on earth, even though both the earth and satellite are rotating.

That geo belt is very crowded, and there are international regulations governing who can put what where. Most of it is electromagnetic inteference, but there is also some concern about physical collisions.

Might be the same for subs. But if it is, I bet they can't talk about it
Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh well, guess that shoots the 'big sky, little bullet' story all to HE double L
Old 02-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
A whole bunch of submariners are going to be looking for new jobs this month.
I'm sure CO's of the boats are welcome here on the board , as they will be ER'd soon.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
These are ballistic missile subs, so they generally don't use their active sonar (ping, ping) when on patrol--that would let the bad guys find them easily. Kinda like shining a bright flashlight in a neighborhood of snipers.
I'll have to check scuttlebutt on my favorite submarine blogs & boards. I suspect one (or possibly both) of the submarines was out of their assigned waters-- either through nav error, equipment problems, or plain ol' stupidity. (Not necessarily in that order.) It gets messier if the incident occurred within territorial waters or "disputed" waters, but hopefully these NATO allies are above that petty bickering.

The U.S. submarine force's typical target-hunting active sonar is a PITA and generally a waste of time. U.S. attack subs also carry a high-freq sonar for minehunting and iceberg navigation, but I'm blissfully ignorant of its use. I'm told it's quite good.

Underwater acoustics propagate & return in a non-linear fashion, with various paths, and plenty of artifacts. It's almost as much art as science, and the proper pinging parameters change every time the water conditions & bottom topography change.

On my attack tour we practiced active whenever we could, but it rarely told us anything we couldn't have found out by much more covert & safer methods. (The best way to respond to an active ping is to shoot a torpedo down that bearing. One way or another, the pinging stops.) If an attack sub was transiting through what they thought was empty ocean and got jumped with a warshot then they might respond with active sonar to get a target bearing. But there'd be a hot debate over whether it was an act of desperation or suicide.

I've listened to plenty of other active sonars, and they were quite helpful in target detection & classification. Good audio intelligence for later analysis, too. Thanks, guys!

If an U.S. attack sub ever got into a situation where they'd be tempted to go active, they'd probably be wiser to back way off and whistle up a few P-3s to work with destroyers & helicopters. Those guys can ensonify the entire freakin' ocean from a distance/altitude with relative impunity while a silenced ship (or an aviator) with plenty of weapons loiters near the target datum.

On my boomer tour I think we turned it on once a year for maintenance. A line of sonar techs would stand behind the console waiting for their 10-minute turn so that they could claim to have used active sonar. But our boomer used to only go to periscope depth once or twice a month for "proficiency", too. Most of the time was spent poking holes in the ocean at four knots (or less) in a patrol area the size of Kansas. And if someone else's submarine was going to transit through there, we'd be as far away as possible, hunched over like a scared bunny rabbit.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote