Join Early Retirement Today

Occasional Shower Dripping
Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Occasional Shower Dripping

We have this general type of shower control:

Occasionally the showerhead drips at a rate of about 1 drop per 2 seconds. If I turn it all the way on and then off, the dripping stops. Any idea what's causing that?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most of the single handles have a cartridge internal with o-ring seals that can leak by. The cartridges are replaceable and there are repair kits. Get the make/model of your faucet handle and you can look up the replacement cartridge.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #3

I have a mixer faucet in the RV that I have to replace the cartridge about yearly. My theory us that if it isn't used much, and it gets hot in there, that the O rings deteriorate.

The advice to replace the cartridge is spot on.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Some manufactures (i.e. Kohler) have a lifetime guarantee and will provide you the cartridge for free. Of course you have to install it. Other manufacturers might also offer the same - worth checking out
Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently replaced the diverter stem to a 3 handle bath. In my case, Home Depot carried replacement stems for many of the major brands and had a binder of actual size pictures by brand for matching a removed part to a new one. I'm not familiar with your type of valve, but for a drip you may only need seals/washers if those are replaceable separately for that valve. I also found YouTube to have some helpful how to videos on removing and replacing shower diverter valves or stems. Good Luck.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Here's the actual valve on our shower:

I'm sure that the way to the cartridge is to remove the central screw (red arrow) on the handle, take the handle off, then remove the other two screws (green arrow).

However, I removed the central screw and the handle doesn't come off. I've used quite a bit of force. Is there some trick to getting the handle off, or do I need to just use more force?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I replaced a shower cartridge last year, also a Kohler I think (darn, my memory is really getting bad).

I think I had to rotate the entire big ring, which is held by a fine thread onto the stem. Bad memory again!

Have you had any luck finding info on the Web?

PS. My shower assembly was only 7-year old, yet it was already obsolete and I had to do some work to find replacement parts on the Web. My daughter broke it by applying too much force!

PPS. Mine does not look anything like yours, so what I did might not be applicable at all. But once the proper procedure was discovered, it was fairly easy. Do not use too much force!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's the actual valve on our shower:

I'm sure that the way to the cartridge is to remove the central screw (red arrow) on the handle, take the handle off, then remove the other two screws (green arrow).

However, I removed the central screw and the handle doesn't come off. I've used quite a bit of force. Is there some trick to getting the handle off, or do I need to just use more force?
My experience has been that any job involving plumbing requires a vast
Repertoire of colorful language. Have you used the proper incantations? The more 4 letter words employed, the greater the leverage.

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Al, in my limited experience the purpose of the screw with the red arrow is to hold the thing together so perhaps the threads have been damaged. If you can't find the answer here or somewhere on the web you might actually have to consider (gasp) calling a plumber!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Double check specific advice for that model on the web.

I seem to remember doing one, and there was enough mineral build up that getting it out took a lot of force. But make sure you have everything removed before applying much force. Sometimes there is a small 'e' or 'c' ring holding it back.

And make sure the water is OFF!!!!! The water pressure can shoot a cartridge out like a rocket, and do some serious damage.

-ERD50
Old 10-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And make sure the water is OFF!!!!! The water pressure can shoot a cartridge out like a rocket, and do some serious damage.
+1
Don't ask me how I know that!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #13

Al,

If you have hard water in your area, there may be mineral buildup that is preventing the disassembly of these parts.

Soaking in vinegar (which may take an hour to two) will dissolve the buildup. I suggest thoroughly soaking a paper towel in vinegar and wrapping it around the the parts in question. I'd also suggest putting vinegar in a spray bottle and spritzing that into every nook and cranny of that valve.

Once you get past the handle portion, you may need to treat the internal parts with a vinegar soak as well.

As mentioned earlier, be sure to have the water supply valves turned off before disassembling this.

I have Moen shower assembly (with lifetime warranty) and their customer service dept. sent me a free replacement cartridge.

omni
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, if it is available in your state, buy yourself a can of PB Blaster. Worked well for me on that same shower valve job.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #15

On many of these the handle has a small screw usually hidden on the under side of the handle. It is a small screw like the green arrow. The red arrow screw is hodling the cartridge/valve assembly in place. Find the make and model and google for specifics.

Here's a pic of a hidden screw

http://www.instructables.com/files/d...SLPQ.LARGE.jpg
Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Al, in my limited experience the purpose of the screw with the red arrow is to hold the thing together so perhaps the threads have been damaged. If you can't find the answer here or somewhere on the web you might actually have to consider (gasp) calling a plumber!
Actually by coincidence, I have a plumber coming this morning to give me an estimate for replacing our kitchen sink. The sink has chips in the enamel, and in an effort to spend more money, we might get a stainless replacement with new features such as a hot water dispenser. It will be a real test of my will, since the current one works perfectly well -- it just looks bad.
Also I could probably do the work myself, so when he tells me it's going to be a thousand dollars more to have it done by a pro... Well we'll see.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

+1
Don't ask me how I know that!
Right. Yesterday I had turned off the water but there was a little pressure that built up so that at one point while I was working I got a nice face full of cold water from the shower.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
On many of these the handle has a small screw usually hidden on the under side of the handle. It is a small screw like the green arrow. The red arrow screw is hodling the cartridge/valve assembly in place. Find the make and model and google for specifics.

Here's a pic of a hidden screw

http://www.instructables.com/files/d...SLPQ.LARGE.jpg
Thanks, I just checked, and there's no screw on mine.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think that this video describes the problem I'm having and possibly the solution.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Excellent! Force is required, yes, but at the right place, or between the right parts.

When I was younger, my impatience often led me to use brute force, which caused a lot of regrets. Took me a while to learn better.